Subject: Addition to Allegheny County family researcher list
From: Agent 86, firstname.lastname@example.org
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 13:08:16 -0700 (PDT)
Researching Phillip Miller (1791-1872). Settled near Pine Creek
in 1805 with parents. Early resident of area that became
Sharpsburg. Enumerated in Indiana Township before 1850. In
1850 enumerated in Shaler Township. Later resident of Penn Twp.,
Butler County, where he died August 18, 1872.
DIED--At his residence in Penn Tp., Butler Co., PA., on the 18th day of August last, Mr. PHILLIP MILLER.
The deceased was born in Northumberland, Pa., on the 10th day of April, 1791, and consequently was in the 82d year of his age. In the year 1805 he removed with his parents to Allegheny Co. In 1814 he was united in marriage to Miss Jennie Gwin, who became the mother of seven children, six sons and one daughter; of whom four sons still live, one have their residence in Allegheny City.
In 1815 he united, on profession of faith, with the Presbyterian church of Pine Creek, then under the pastoral care of the Rev. Jos. Stockton. This church being then without a house of worship, that devoted servant of God preached in a tent set up in the woods on the ground where now stands a new and commodious brick church edifice. In 1826 he settled in the place where now stands the town of Sharpsburg, and there built for the use of himself and family a log house, the first house ever erected in that place. In the year 1828 he was called to part with his affectionate wife, who was taken from him by the hand of death. In 1829 he was married the second time. The very estimable and pious lady who became his second wife was Miss Jane Campbell, of Allegheny County. From this marriage he had twelve children, two sons and ten daughters. Of these, one son and eight daughters still live. All of his children, both from his first and second marriage, are
consistent members of the Presbyterian Church, two of them ruling elders. Father Miller continued a member of the church of Pine Creek until the organization of the Presbyterian church of Sharpsburg, in 1838, when he became a member of that church, and was elected and ordained one of its first ruling elders in July of the same year. Of the Sabbath School of the Sharpsburg church, he was the first Superintendent, and continued in that office for several years. From Sharpsburg, he moved, in 1846, a few miles into the country, and settled on the banks of Pine Creek. Here he at once established a prayer-meeting and Sabbath School, which were faithfully attended and supported by him until the year 1855, when he removed to Butler County, and became a member of the Presbyterian church of Middlesex, of which church he was unanimously chosen as a ruling elder, three days after his reception certificate. Here, as in other parts of God’s moral heritage, he
at once entered zealously upon the work of the Master, serving as Superintendent of the Sabbath School, and a most faithful attendant of prayer-meetings, and all meetings for public worship. During a period of fifty-four years, while a member of the Church, not one communion Sabbath in the churches of which he was successively a member, witnessed his absence, as far as recollected by himself and others. His grandchildren, at the time of his death, numbered fifty-six, fifty of whom still live; one the highly esteemed wife of a worthy and devoted pastor of a Presbyterian church. His great-grandchildren number eighteen, of whom seventeen are living. In the year 1869 he was again sorely bereaved. The messenger of death returned, and took away his beloved companion, a Christian lady of great excellence, always kind, affectionate, sympathetic.
Father Miller was a man of great energy, and untiring devotion, diligent in business, fervent in spirit, always abounding in the work of the Lord. And when his work was done, he was anxious to depart and to be with Christ. His end was peace.
“Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord.”
Note from transcriber: The unidentified clipping is from 1872. It may be from the “Presbyterian Banner.”
An older brother of Phillip Miller, Peter Miller, died January 15, 1872 at the age of 89. The transcriber seeks his obituary.
Please use your BACK key to
return you to the page that brought you here.