The first public conveyance to Saint John was the weekly stage coach driven by Mr Seymour. This
mode of travel was all the people had until 1854, when it was changed to twice, then three times a week.
In 1870 it began making daily trips. Among the stage drivers will be remembered the names: Barry Nugent,
Philip Black, and Alexander Founes.
The first postmaster in the village was Alexander Lockhart. Later John Foster, Thomas Black, James
Moran and Postmistress, Mrs James P. Cochrane filled this office.
The first Druggist in St Martins was George E. Mallory, who operated the first drugstore in the centre
of the village. Later druggists were: Robert Murray, Ernest Hatfield, and John McLaughlan.
The first Schoolmaster in St Martins was Thomas Evans. He taught in a little schoolhouse that stood
near the residence of Joseph Carson, the Collector of Customs. This building was torn down many years ago.
Mr Evans was brought to Sta Martins from Newfoundland by Captain David Vaughan. Later Schoolmasters were:
Mr Connor and Thomas Black. There were four public schools in the village at one time.
One of the earliest industries, which has ceased to operate in St Martins, was a lime kiln and brick yard which
was owned and operated by John and Sandford Brown. The kiln and brick yard were situated in West
Quaco nearly opposite the residence of John Marr.
James Moran owned the first sawmill which stood where J.P. Mosher's mill stood many years later, on the
Mosher River just above the house now owned by Harold Marks Sr. It was operated by Philip Mosher who
also operated the grist mill which stood near the sawmill and was owned by James Moran. Mr Snow and
William Grant owned a carding mill which was situated near the grist mill. George Masters owned and
worked the only tannery ever operated in St Martins. The building stood about 100 yards east of the Baptist Church.
In connection with the tannery, Mr Masters worked at the shoe-making business which he subsequently abandoned
to become a master mariner.
In the early history of St Martins there were weirs in various sections of the bay. It was not uncommon at that
time to see 200 to 300 of herring taken at one tide, and often the sluices would have to be opened to let the herring out,
as more would be caught than could be taken off. This, it must be remembered, was previous to sawdust finding its
way into the bay. The ship carpenters would leave their work and help secure and preserve the fish, taking a supply
home with them for a year. At that time there were about 300 ship carpenters employed in St Martins.
The Baptist Church was organized in 1819 with Rev Peter Crandal as Pastor; Robert Barry and William
Bradshaw, Deacons; David Vaughan, Clerk. There were 60 members and some time later a small church was
built. Later the membership increased to 400 and a new church building was constructed in 1878 at a cost of
$9000. The new church was built largely throught the efforts of Rev. Dr. I.G. Bill, who was Pastor for 12 years.
The bell in the church, and the clock, which could be seen from all parts of the village, were the gifts of Captain
George Whitfield Masters, and were greatly appreciated by the citizens. This beautiful church was destroyed by fire
in the year 1926. The Baptist Parsonage, opposite the church, was also destroyed by fire in 1935. A new church was erected
on the site of the old church and the Baptists purchased the house formerly owned by Captain Silas Vaughan
for Parsonage. At one time there was also a Baptist Church in West Quaco. The Episcopal Church, situated in the
western part of the village, has been used by the Episcopalians for service for approximately 100 years. The land on
which the church is built was purchased from Mr Lamb in 1846.