The old St Martins Militia was organized about the year 1822, with officers as follows: Captain James Moran
(afterwards, Major); Edward Brown, Adjutant; William Moran, Drill Sergeant; Thomas H. Black,
Sergeant. The company had its drill practice on the plain, back of William Rourke's residence. The arms used
were muskets taken from a Dutch Man-o-War. The Militia was re-organized in June, 1865, under command of Captain
James Rourke and Lieut. Jacob Mosher. The name of the Militia was the 'New Brunswick Rangers'. A large
drill shed was built in the centre of the village and was also used as a roller skating rink.
The first Justice of the Peace was Phillip Mosher, also a surveyor. Other magistrates were: James Moran,
Captain Howard, of the Royal Militia; George Brown, and John Foster. Later Magistrates were;
W.H. Rourke, W.E. Skillen, W.H. Moran, P.H. Nugent, M.R. Daley, and S.J. Shanklin.
The first lighthouse was built on the reef of Quaco Head about 1835. This reef is separated from the mainland
by the Race. Captain Lamb, was the first keeper, followed by William Love, and Charles Brown.
This old lighthouse was completely destroyed by fire, and a new one was built on the head, where it now stands.
A few miles from Quaco Head is a group of rocks, known as Quaco Ledges, lying below the surface of the Bay.
These rocks are very dangerous to seamen. The storms on the Bay of Fundy are noted for their severity, but there
have been comparatively few wrecks on the reef, the most disastrous one being that of the American schooner
'Arcana', when all the crew save one lost their lives by freezing to death on the reefs.
In the year 1856 a ship pwned by David and Benjamin Vaughan, called the 'Alminia', and commanded by
Captain Silas Vaughan, parted her cables and came ashore at Quaco Harbour. The vessel was taken off the
shore, towed to Saint John, and repaired. From there she sailed to Liverpool.
In 1866, the ship 'Alexander', owned y John Wishart of saint John, parted her cables and drifted ashore
on the East Quaco Beach. She was towed to Saint John and repaired>
During the years 1917-1918, two three masted schooners, each registering approximately 400 tons, were built in
the Vaughan shipyard. These were the 'Colin K. Golding', and the 'Quaco Queen'. They were built by the Elkin-
Foster-Bentley Co. The foreman was William Geddes, from truro, Nova Scotia. Captain Wilfred Vaughan
was Master of the 'Quaco Queen' on her maiden voyage to Ireland. Captain Keer was Master of the 'Celina K.
Golding', which was lost on her maiden voyage. These two schooners were the last ships ever built in St Martins.