Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   
*********************************
SELKIRK (BORDERS)  SCOTLAND

ROBERT ELDER b. 2 Aug 1785 in SELKIRK
"HERIOT by CROOKSTON," MIDLOTHIAN, SCOTLAND  (now BORDERS)
***
ELDER, Alexander bookseller Peebles
                         Peebles 1800
                         and printer 1820
                         and librarian High Street 1825
           To sell Charles Findlater's Liberty and equality Edinburgh Advertiser 23 May 1800.
           NLS Impr Ind; Pigot 1820; 1825; William Chambers.
           Memoir of William and Robert Chambers. 12th ed. Edinburgh and London, 1883, pp.52-57.

ELDER, Walter bookbinder Hawick
                         Forerow 1820
                        Fore Row 1825
                         Howegate 1837
           In section Booksellers Stationers & Binders 1825.
           Pigot 1820; 1825; 1837

***
Search: Heriot, Crookston:
http://www.burkes-peerage.net/sites/Contents/book/scotland/FHP/Peerage/fhp-BORTHWICKLORD.asp
BORTHWICK, LORD, CHIEF OF BORTHWICK
 THE 24TH LORD BORTHWICK and Chief of the Name and Arms of Borthwick
(John Hugh Borthwick of that Ilk, DL (Midlothian 2001))
[The Rt Hon The Lord Borthwick DL, Crookston, Heriot, Midlothian EH38 5YS];
b 14 Nov 1940; s f 1996; educ Gordonstoun and Edinburgh Sch of Ag (SDA, NDA);
farmer and landowner; m 9 Feb 1974 •Adelaide, dau of Archy Birkmyre (see BIRKMYRE, Bt),
of Overdale, Crieff, Perthshire, and has:
Lineage: Sir WILLIAM BORTHWICK 1st OF BORTHWICK, Selkirkshire,
of whose lands was granted a charter by the REGENT ALBANY 1410;
Amb England1398-1415; substitute hostage for JAMES I 1424x1427; commr to treat for th...
Record Type(s): 1999 Peerage
****

GALASHIELS, HAWICK, SELKIRK map

****
CHIEF: Major John H. S. Borthwick of Borthwick and Crookston -
granted the undifferenced arms of the Name of Borthwick by the Lord Lyon in 1944.
TARTAN: Borthwick
includes Clan BORTHWICK:
http://www.electricscotland.com/webclans/atoc/borthwi2.html
Since the death of the 21st Lord in 1910,
 the title has been claimed by the head of the most senior branch, that of Crookston, who also owns Borthwick Castle.
 The House of Borthwick, one of the most ancient in Scotland, trace their origins from Hungary...
****
Searching Genuki Scotland for
 HAWICK, find:
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/ROX/Hawick
 (with map):
 "A considerable town and parish in the county of Roxburgh.
 The town stands at the confluence of the small river Slitridge with the Teviot, and is well built.
 It is a borough [burgh] of barony, independent of the lord of erection, and appears to have existed
free from a very early period; but the rights and documents of the borough being either lost
 or destroyed during the inroads of the English borderers, a charter was granted in 1545,
by James Douglas Comes de Drumlanark, confirming to the burgesses such rights and lands as they formerly possessed.
This charter was confirmed in toto by another, granted by Queen Mary, in May of the same year ...
The parish of Hawick is of considerable extent, being nearly 16 miles long, and 4 1/2 broad.
The general appearance is hilly; but none of the hills are of remarkable size, and all are green, and afford excellent sheep pasture ...
Population in 1801, 2798." from Gazetteer of Scotland published 1806, Edinburgh.

 See also Wilton parish which was in many ways a twin parish of Hawick.
 Both make up the modern town of Hawick with Hawick parish lying to the south
 of the River Teviot and Wilton parish to the north."
****

WILLIAM WALLACE:
http://www.selkirk.bordernet.co.uk/history/braveheart.html
....
No part of Scottish Borderland, perhaps, is more definitely associated with Wallace than the Forest of Ettrick.

Here at Selkirk, supported by nobles and clergy, he was declared Guardian of the Kingdom of Scotland.

And so it is in Selkirk, in the 'forest kyrk' (the Kirk of the Forest), referred to in ancient times as the church of St Mary of the Forest,
that visitors can now visit this ancient site. It has been the location of the Parish Kirk of Selkirk from these early days until it was
abandoned in the mid 1800's.
****

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/SEL
"SELKIRKSHIRE is of an irregular figure, extending 20 miles in length, bounded on the N. by Peebles-shire;
on the E. by Berwickshire; on the S.E. and S. by Roxburghshire; on the S.W. by Dumfries-shire;
and on the W. by Peebles. This county was formerly named the
sheriffdom of Etterick forest, being covered with an extensive wood,
which was stocked by great herds of red and fallow deer kept by theScotish princes for the chace,
who had houses for themselves and their train in different parts of the country. The wood is now almost
entirely cut down, and the county is stocked with great flocks of sheep.
The county is mountainous, and intersected by numerous streams,
on the banks of which those plaintive airs were produced, the natural simplicity of which is the pride
of the Scots and the admiration of  strangers.
Besides the Tweed, it is watered by the Etterick and Yarrow, two pastoral streams,
the beauties of which are celebrated in Scotish song." from Gazetteer of Scotland published 1806, Edinburgh.

Note: Selkirkshire became part of the new Borders region in 1975, which in turn became the Scottish Borders council in 1996.
However historical records used by genealogists and family historians are, in the main, structured around the older counties, like Selkirkshire.
****
 Roxburgh: Melrose -
Register of baptisms, marriages, proclamations of marriages, session minutes (1723-1741) and mortuary rolls
   2.---Baptisms, Marriages, and Discipline in the parish of Melrose since November 1723, att which time
Mr. Gavin Eliot was admitted School-master and Session-clerk.
    1803.
 County: Roxburgh
 Country: Scotland
 1786 William Elder, dissenting minister in Newtown, and Isabel Mein, a.s.n. David, born 05 Oct 1786.
 ***

 Roxburgh: Melrose -
Register of baptisms, marriages, proclamations of marriages, session minutes (1723-1741) and mortuary rolls
   2.---Baptisms, Marriages, and Discipline in the parish of Melrose since November 1723, att which time
Mr. Gavin Eliot was admitted School-master and Session-clerk.
    1803.
 County: Roxburgh
 Country: Scotland
 1788 William Elder, dissenting minister in Newtown, and Isabel Mein, a.d.n. Jean, born 05 Apr 1788.
 ***

 Roxburgh: Melrose -
Register of baptisms, marriages, proclamations of marriages, session minutes (1723-1741) and mortuary rolls
  Marriages.
   Marriages.
    1794.
 County: Roxburgh
 Country: Scotland
 09 Aug 1794 Mr. William Elder, minister of Newtown, m. Miss Margaret Rodger in Selkirk; c. Alexander Mein.
 ****

 Roxburgh: Melrose -
Register of baptisms, marriages, proclamations of marriages, session minutes (1723-1741) and mortuary rolls
   2.---Baptisms, Marriages, and Discipline in the parish of Melrose since November 1723,
att which time Mr. Gavin Eliot was admitted School-master and Session-clerk.
    1803.
 County: Roxburgh
 Country: Scotland
 1795 William Elder, dissenting minister in Newtown, and Margaret Rodger, a.d.n. Isabel, born 02 Jul 1795.
 ****

 Roxburgh: Melrose -
Register of baptisms, marriages, proclamations of marriages, session minutes (1723-1741) and mortuary rolls
   2.---Baptisms, Marriages, and Discipline in the parish of Melrose since November 1723, att which time
Mr. Gavin Eliot was admitted School-master and Session-clerk.
    1803.
 County: Roxburgh
 Country: Scotland
 1796 William Elder, dissenting minister in Newtown, and Margaret Rodger, a.s.n. James, born 20 Dec 1796.
 ***

DNA match with MacLellan, McClelland:

See Maclellan's Castle in Kirkcudbright near the BORDER:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/%7egallgaedhil/pages/20063_kirkcudbright.htm

"Barred Window At Maclellan's Castle - Kirkcudbright"
"This barred window would put a prison house to shame, and is yet one
more vestige of the paranoid lives my Maclellan ancestors must have
led. Maclellan's Castle is the size of a small office building or
condominium complex, but most of the multiple floors it once had have
been knocked out of it, leaving an empty stone shell. It is right
near the waterfront - literally just a stone's throw away - and
across the street is a tea shop that serves the tastiest scones. The
Maclellans lived in the heart of town despite their fears. One of the
most charming sites elsewhere in Kirkcudbright is the Stewartry
Museum, but even here the traces of a violent past remain in the
museum's large collection of swords and firearms."

Kirkcudbright map and directions near BORDER:
http://www.kirkcudbright.co.uk/visiting/travel.htm

1582
Sir Thomas MacLellan completes MacLellan’s  Castle, the ruins of which still stand in the town centre