THE HISTORY OF STONINGTON, CONN., by Richard A. Wheeler, page 236.
1. William Billings, the progenitor of the Billings family of Stonington, Conn., came from Taunton, England, and first appears in this country at Dorchester and Braintree Mass. He m. Mary ____ (family name and birth date not given), at Dorchester Mass., Feb 5, 1658. The time of his coming to Stonington is not certainly known, but his name appears here among the planters of Stonington. He built him a dwelling-house on Cosatue Hill, where the site may still be seen. He became by grants and purchases a large land owner. Our records do not contain a list of his children, with their births. What is known of them is by his will. He d. in 1713.
THE GENEALOGY OF SOME OF THE DECENDANTS OF WILLIAMS BILLINGS WHO CAME TO AMERICA IN 1650 AND PERMANENTLY SETTLED AT STONINGTON CT IN 1658, by Frank Billings, page 48.
Son of William Billing of Taunton, EN disposed of his lands and came to New England about 1650. He was an original proprietor of lands at Landcaster, MA in 1654. On May 12, 1567, he married Mary ATHERTON at Dorchester MA. In 1658 he joined the Company of William Cheeseborough of Stonington, CT where he resided during the remainder of his life. He became one of the largest landed proprietors in that and neighoring towns. In 1668 he became a settler of Block Island and with others his name is engraved on a granite monument at Block Island. He died March 16, 1713, and his wife in 1718.
SWAMP YANKEE, by James Allyn, page 36.
William was a sea captain out of London, and came to Dorchester from Taunton EN in 1654. He continued his seafaring here, and bought a large tract of land around Cossatuc Hill in North Stonington.
GENEALOGIES OF CONN. FAMILIES, A-Ga, page 134 TO 156.