Misc. Pictures sent in by John Adams
This photo was taken on Riverside Avenue between Rialto Avenue and First Street looking north around 1895. Riverside Avenue was a dirt road then. The trees on the right are eucalyptus and those on the left are California Pepper trees. The building in the foreground on the left was the headquarters of the Semi Tropic Land and Water company, the original developers of Rialto. This company went broke in 1896. Directly to the left of where this photograph was taken (out of sight) was the elegant 42-room Hotel del Rialto which burned down in 1907.
Corner of Riverside and Baseline
At Foothill and Willow looking east around 1950. Fruit stands seen on north and south sides of Foothill east of Willow.
Willow and Foothill looking north in 1950
March Field was originally known as the Alessandro Aviation Field because of its location on the old Alessandro town site. It was renamed for Lt. Peyton March who had been killed in an early plane crash in Texas. March field was an important aviation school throughout its early years, and later became known as March Air Force Base. Note the biplanes on the airfield in 1932.
|PAGE TWO OF PICTURES
||For info Please contact John Adams
San Bernardino County
This page was created: Sunday, 29-Mar-2009 22:55:24 MDT
This site may be freely linked, but not duplicated
in any way without consent.
Format © 2003-06 by Cheryl Travis
The copyright (s) on this page must appear on all
copied and/or printed material.
All rights reserved! Commercial use of material within this site is prohibited!