Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

 

 

Back                                                  Contact Us

 

Beach Elementary

 

ABOUT 400 ATTEND SCHOOL DEDICATION

 

Beach District Praised by Commissioner Ten Brink

A new monument to the perpetuation of "individual freedom" and "human values,; the Beach school District Five, Fruitport township,was dedicated in a stirring address by James Ten Brink, county school commissioner, Friday evening. More than 400 parents and school children were present in the community room of the new $14,000 structure, for a varied program. "Only through genuine, strenuous effort to become worthy citizens and leaders can the youths, to whom the educational privileges of this new building go show their appreciation to parents and others, who sacrificed for it," Mr. Ten Brink declared. "Parents have sacrificed because they are in earnest about carrying on the heritages of America, and youth must remember this everytime they pass into the classrooms." The new building, providing four rooms, will alleviate crowded conditions in a small brick school, a short distance away, taxed by an enrollment which has risen to more than 200 in recent years. Highlights of the program included informal talks by pupils who attended the original Beach school, a log cabin, in 1872, Emma Helman Thoma, Kate Schultz McMahon, William Helman and Nicholas Thoma; presentation of $161 toward cost of laying tile floors; presentation of an American flag by the Womens Auxillary of Wilbur L. Boyer VFW post, Muskegon Heights, and student exercises. Beach school,PTA through Mrs. John Helman, made the monetary gift for floors. On the fund  raising committee were Mrs. Helman, Mrs. John Skok, Mrs. Elgie Falbe, Mrs. Alfred Wheater, and Mrs. Kenneth Walworth. Parent sponsors of the 4-H club band contributed $58 dollars toward lighting the community room. Invocation by Rev. William T. Reeves,Jr. rector of St. Paul's Episcopal church, followed a welcome by Mrs. Louis  Rollenhagen, PTA president. An upright piano, gift of John Makurat, township supervisor also was presented. Mrs. Max Paulsen, chairman for the dedicatory exercises, was assisted by Mrs. Helman, program chairman, Clifford Peters, Mrs. Skok, Mrs. Vance Crane, Mrs. Walter Dietz, Mrs. Falbe, Mrs. Jay Medema, Mrs. Sidney Hoogewind, Mrs. Joseph Gundy and Mrs. Kolman Grancer.

 

Muskegon Chronicle, Muskegon, Michigan, Sunday, December 7,1941 page2

Information donated by Joanne Wood

 

top of page