On the southeast corner of Western avenue and Eighth street is a modern building erected recently to house the Champayne Auto Collision Service. On that corner in the fall of 1835 was the trading post of William Lasley.
The east portion of the Stewart Hartshorn factory and grounds now occupies the site of the first sawmill on Muskegon lake. It was built in January, 1837, and burned in 1841. Even before the mill was erected, George Campau had a trading post at this site from 1833 to 1835. A second mill was built there by Alvah Trowbridge in 1863, and after 1871 it was the Swan, White & Smith mill. A small brick office building of that firm on the southwest corner of Hudson street and Western avenue we believe is still standing.
Muskegon Chronicle, May 17, 1947 KNOW MUSKEGON By Charles H. Yates
Submitted by Bill Moore