Submitted by Lisa Hoffous & Bill Moore
Vincent O. CLINGER, who was long associated with the office of the sheriff of Muskegon county and who gave a specially effective administration during the four years that he himself held the office of sheriff, now owns and operates a fine line of motor busses between Muskegon and North Muskegon, until May 1925, to Hextrum, proprietor of Safety Motor Coach Company, in which connection he has built up a most prosperous passenger transfer business. Mr. CLINGER was born at Findlay, Ohio, November 10, 1852, and is a son of William S. and Catherine (BOSLER) CLINGER, the former a native of Pennsylvania and the latter of Findlay, Ohio. William B. CLINGER was reared and educated in Ohio, and after leaving school he there found employment in a furniture shop at Findlay. He continued his residence in the Buckeye state until 1867, when he came with his family to Michigan and settled on a tract of land near Shelby, Oceana County, and proceeded to reclaim the same from the native forest. He eventually developed a productive farm of 160 acres and was one of the sterling and honored pioneer citizens of that county at the time of his tragic death, he having been killed by a railroad train at Shelby in 1896. His widow sold the farm and remained in the village of Shelby, where she passed the remainder of her life and where her death occurred in 1903, both having been members of the Methodist Episcopal Church and Mr. CLINGER having been a Republican in politics. Vincent O. CLINGER was a lad of twelve years at the time of the family’s removal to the forest wilds of Oceana County, and he assisted in the reclamation of the home farm, besides having continued his studies by attending the district school two and one-half miles distant from his home, a course he traversed daily. He worked in the lumber woods during the winters and assisted his father on the farm during the summer seasons. He finally purchased a farm near Shelby, Oceana County, and after residing there seven years he sold the farm and moved to Montague, Michigan, where he resided twelve years, was Marshal of the town and took a position in the office of the Sheriff of the county in 1896. He served eight years, under the regimes of Sheriffs NEANMASTER, PAYNE, SMITH and NELSON, and on the Republican ticket he was then elected Sheriff of which office he continued the incumbent four years, 1904-08. Thereafter he served four years as Under Sheriff. In 1908, Mr. CLINGER removed to North Muskegon and engaged in the livery, ice and wood business, which he continued five years. In 1913 he began the operation of a Ford motor car between North Muskegon and Muskegon, later he added a second car, and finally he improved his equipment by placing in commission a motor bus with accommodations for sixteen passengers. Such has been the success of the business that he now has six motorcars in service. He is a stalwart in the local ranks of the Republican party, he and his wife attend the Christian Science Church and he is affiliated with the Fraternal Order of Eagles. July 4, 1874, Mr. CLINGER was untied in marriage to Miss Mary E. INMAN, and on the great national holiday in 1924 they celebrated their golden wedding anniversary. They have two children: Bertha C., born in 1877, and Edith S., born in 1883.
Source: “Historic Michigan”, George N. Fuller/ James L. Smith (1925) Vol. III, pp 135-136
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids