Submitted by Lisa Hoffous & Bill Moore
Richard W. CONE is one of the progressive and representative businessmen of the younger generation in the city of Muskegon, where he is treasurer of the March Automatic Irrigation Company, this being one of the newer corporations, which contribute to the industrial and commercial precedence of this vital Michigan City. Much of his period of business activity was with the Howe Chain Company of this city, of which he was also treasurer, until its sale to the Link Belt Company of Chicago and Indianapolis in 1924. Mr. CONE was born at Menominee, Wisconsin, October 28, 1888, and is the eldest in a family of seven children, all of whom are living. The names of the other children being recorded in the respective order of their birth: Tracy E., Grace E., Lois R., Willard W., Bess U. and Russell T. Mr. CONE is a son of Edwin W. and
Carrie E. (ROBERTS) CONE, the father having followed the printing and newspaper business during the greater part of his active life and having been a resident of Muskegon at the time of his death. The widowed mother still maintains her home in this city. Richard W. CONE was a lad of eight years at the time when the family home was established in Muskegon, and in addition to receiving the advantages of the public schools of this city he was for two years a student in Valparaiso University and one year in the University of Illinois at Champaign. Mr. CONE is past president of the Western Michigan Purchasing Agents Association, of Post D, Travelers Protective Association of St. Louis, Missouri, and of the Alexander Hamilton Club of Muskegon. He is also a member of the National Travel Club of New York city. He is affiliated with the local lodge of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, and his political alignment is with the Republican Party. November 12, 1912, Mr. CONE wedded Miss Margaret O’Brien, daughter of John O’Brien, of Alpena, and the three children of this union are J. Richard, Kathryn F. and Peggy.
Source: “Historic Michigan”, George N. Fuller/ James L. Smith (1925) Vol. III, pp. 137-138