President of the State Bank of White Hall, one of the largest owners of real estate and general business holdings in the city.† Mark B.† Covell began his career in Michigan forty years ago with hardly a dollar to his name. He worked in lumber camps, showed his† enterprise by† effecting employment, and by engaging in any line of endeavor which would turn an honest dollar, and eventually was on the† high-road to† success.† †††
Mr. Covell has shown a sound sense of civic obligation, and while acquiring individual wealth, has not neglected his† responsibilities to† the community.†
Mark B. Covell was born in Bradford county, Pennsylvania, June 26, 1849, a son of Calvin T. and† Elizabeth ( Coleman)† Covell. Grandfather James Covell was a member of the New York militia, served in the War of 1812, and was a son of Jonathan Covell,† who moved his home from New York to Pennsylvania about 1816, when only one family had settled in Bradford county.† The Covell† ancestry is German. On the maternal side Grandfather Coleman was born in New York State.† Calvin T. Covell was born in Washington county, New York, July 1809, and died in 1879, while his wide was born in the same year, also in new York State, and died in 1856, They were married in 1830. Calvin T. Covell spent all his active career as a Pennsylvania farmer. He was a member of the Universalist church, is Republican in politics, and for a number of years held the office of Justice of the Peace. He and wife were the parents of twelve children; six of whom are living and Mark B. was the tenth in order of birth. The children still living are mentioned as follows: Lyman T., living retired in White Hall; Rebecca, wife of Mr. Staples, of White Hall; Augusta Lewis, a widow, living in White Hall; Charles E., who in in business with his brother Mark; Mark B., David Wilmot, a farmer in Muskegon county.
Mark B. Covell had a common school education in his native county of Bradford, his early experiences and environments were those of his fatherís farm, and when twenty-one years of age, about 1870, he came west and located in Michigan. His first employment here was in a lumber camp. At his arrival in this state, his purse contained only two dollars and a half. Two years in a lumber camp was followed by employment as a bookkeeper, after which he and a brother and Capt. P.l D. Campbell operated the boat line to Chicago, had a grocery store, and were active in various lines, which paid them a sure but steady profit, and thus they laid the foundation of success. Their early fortune was acquired largely in the lumber business, which they followed during the seventies and eighties. In 1891, Charles E. Covell bought out the other brothers, and he and Mark have since been partners in the lumber mill and real estate business at White Hall.
In 1902, Mark Covell assisted in t he organization of the State Bank of White Hall, with a capital stock of twenty thousand dollars, and a surplus at this time of six thousand dollars, and has served as President of the substantial institution ever since.
In 1875, Mr. Covell married Miss Mary Myhra, who was born in Norway and died in 1891 without children. In 1893, he married Mary A. Wilson, who was born in Scotland, a daughter of William Wilson, a moulder by trade. They are the parents of three children: Emeline W., who liver at home; Mary Elizabeth, who is a student in the Ypsilanti Normal School, and Mark B. Jr., also in school. The family are members of the Congregational church, Mr. Covell is affiliated with the Masonic Order, and in politics is Independent. His public service includes tenure of the offices of treasurer and president of the village and at this time he is serving in the village council. His possessions include large land in the vicinity of White Hall, city real estate, and varied connections with business enterprise.