Harold Francis Closz
Hackley Union National Bank Building, Muskegon, Michigan
Harold F(rancis) Closz was born at St. Anager, Mitchell Co., Iowa, Feb. 3,1891; son of Charles and Ida (Biernatski) Closz.
Charles Closz was born in Bavaria, Germany, in 1850.† His parents came to the U.S. about 1868 and settled in Webster City, Iowa, Where his father, who had been a distiller in Germany, engaged in farming until his death, which occurred in 1894.† Charles Closz first came to the U.S. when 14 years of age, but later returned to Germany, and when 18 years of age, accompanied his parents to this country.† He learned the millerís trade, and owned and operated a mill at St. Anager, Iowa.† He later returned to Webster City where, in 1893, he invented and began the manufacturing of threshing machine sieves.† He sold his business in 1928, and has since lived retired in Webster City.† He spends the winter seasons in Florida.† His wife, Ida (Biernatski) Closz, who was born in Oswego, New York, in 1848, died in 1920.† Nine children were born to Charles and Ida (Biernatski) Closz, Harold Francis being eighth in order of birth.†
Harold F. Closz, the subject of this sketch, attended grade schools in Webster City, and Central Academy, in Pella, Iowa, graduating from the latter in 1909.† He was graduated from Central College, in Pella, B.S., in 1913, and from the University of Michigan Medical School in 1917.† Dr. Closz practiced Medicine in Detroit, Michigan until 1917, when he entered the United States Army for service in the World War.† He served as a lieutenant in the Medical Corps for Fort Riley, Kansas; Waco, Texas; Charlotte, North Carolina; and Montgomery, Alabama.† He was Honorably Discharged from the Army, December 24,1919.† Dr. Closz then returned to Ann Arbor, and took special post-graduate work in surgery at the University of Michigan, meanwhile being first assistant in surgery from October 1919 until October 1920, after which he was an instructor in surgery at the University until 1921.† In that year he came to Muskegon where he since has practiced his profession, specializing in surgery and gynecology.† In 1932, Dr. Closz became chief of the surgical staff of Hackley Hospital, and is a member of the consulting surgical staff of Mercy Hospital.† He is a Republican, and a member of the following:† Blue Lodge, F. and A. M.; American Medical Association; Michigan State Medical Society;
Source: Citizens Historical Association, Indianapolis†† Number: 2 D20 E61 F11-LCD/JKM August† 9,1941
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids