Edwin George Carter
Submitted by Mickie Elliott-Thomas and Bill Moore
Edwin G(eorge) CARTER, son of William Henry and Mary (ALWINSE) CARTER; was born in Jeffersonville, Clark County, Indiana, May 1, 1880.
William Henry CARTER, son of William B. and Mary (ONION) CARTER, was born in Jeffersonville, Indiana in 1850.† He was a steamboat captain on the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers.† He died in 1920, in Jeffersonville, where he is buried.† His wife, Mary (ALWINSE) CARTER, daughter of Marinus and Mary ALWINSE, was born in Rochester, New York in 1854.† Children:† (1)† Edwin George.† (2)† Effie E., who married O. M. ARMSTRONG, a linotype machinist.† Mr. And Mrs. ARMSTRONG, who resides in Chicago, are the parents of one child, Lucille, wife of George FOSTER.†
Marinus ALWINSE, father of Mary (ALWINSE) CARTER, was born in Amsterdam, North Holland.† When 16 (or 18) years of age, he accompanied his parents to the United States, and settled in Wauwatosa, Wisconsin, where he engaged in farming.† He was twice married.† His first wife, Mary ALWINSE, whom he married in the United States was a native of Holland.† She died when young, and Marinus ALWINSE then married a second time.
William B. CARTER, father of William Henry, was born in 1820, at sea, while his parents were coming from Ireland to the United States.† The parents died of cholera during the voyage and were buried at sea.† When the boat arrived in New Orleans, Louisiana, the infant was placed in an orphanage.†† The day of the birth of William B. CARTER was never known.† There was also an older child in the family, a son, who became lost and regarding whom nothing further is known.† During the Civil War, William B. CARTER served on a gunboat at Vicksburg, Mississippi.† He was a steamboat captain on the Ohio River until his death, which occurred in 1891.† He married Mary ONION.†
Edwin G. CARTER, the subject of this sketch, attended schools in Jeffersonville, Indiana, after which he was apprenticed to the machinistís trade in Louisville, Kentucky.† He then was variously employed as a machinist until 1906, when he came to Muskegon, Michigan, and for the ensuing year was a toolmaker for the Continental Motors Company and later was associated with the American Electrical Fuse Company.† In 1907 Mr. CARTER organized the Standard Automotive Parts Company, which was located on Pine Street in Muskegon.† In 1918 the buildings, which covered 68,465 square feet were moved to the present address, at 660 Nims Street.† The company, which employs 164 men, engages in the manufacturing of parts for internal combustion engines, and equipment for the motor trade in general.† At present the company is engaged in defense work.† Present officers are:† Edwin G. CARTER, president; C. MEILKE, vice-president; C. A. NELSON, †secretary; and L. T. GIRDLER, treasure.† Mr. CARTER, †who is independent in politics, is a member of the following:† Blue Lodge, F. and A.M.,† and Chapter; American Foundrymenís Association (Incorporated); Chamber of Commerce of the United States of America; Greater Muskegon Chapter, Citizens Historical Association.† His favorite recreations are photography and yachting.† Mr. CARTER maintains his own cutter and cruiser.
In 1907, Edwin G. CARTER married Mattie VALK, who was born in Muskegon, Michigan.† Her parents, Drewes and Gretje (KUIPERS) VALK, the former of whom was a barber, were natives of Holland, and at the time of their deaths resided in Muskegon, Michigan, where they are buried.† Mr. and Mrs. CARTER are the parents of one child, Willard Drewes, who is associated in business with his father.† He is a member of the Kiwanis Club, and resides in Muskegon with his wife, Mabelle (CARLSON) CARTER.† Her parents, who are deceased, are buried in Muskegon.† †
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids