Submitted by Robin Lacey VanderKooi and Bill Moore
Charles S. Clover, son of Harvey H. and Mary Ann (Mattson) Clover; was born at Brookville, Penn., April 11,1852.
Harvey H. Clover, son of Peter and Betsey (Jones) Clover, was born on a farm in Pennsylvania. He was a machinist. In 1861 he enlisted for service in the Civil War, and served as captain in Co. K, 11th Pennsylvania Reserves. He was maustered out of service in 1864. While in the Army, Harvey H. Clover wrote a letter to his father, Peter Clover, which letter now is in the possession of members of the family. This letter, dated 1861, and written by the light of a tallow candle, gives a graphic description of the conditions existing and hardships endured during that time. Following the war, Harvey H. Clover moved to Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1872, where he was killed the following year in a steam explosion. His wife, Mary Ann (Mattson) Clover, daughter of John and Mary (Thompson) Matson, was born on a farm in Jefferson Co., Pennsylvania. She died at 82 years of age.
John Matson, father of Mary Ann (Matson) Clover, was born and reared in Indiana. He died in 1864, and is buried in Pennsylvania. His wife, Mary (Thompson) Clover, whom he married in 1805, died in 11874 and she, also, is buried in Pennsylvania.
Peter Clover, father of Harvey H., was born in Prussia in 1788. He ran away from home and came to the U.S. about 1808, settling in Pennsylvania, where he farmed. He died in 1862. His wife, Betsy (Jones) Clover, who was born in Pennsylvania about 1792, died about 1877.
Charles S. Clover, the subject of this sketch, was reared and attended schools in Brookville, Penn. He later moved to Bay City, Michigan, where he was employed in a machine shop until 1882. At that time he moved to Ontario, Canada, where he assisted in the erection of a sawmill at Spanish River, and in 1888 returned to the U.S. He settled in Muskegon, Michigan, and purchased an interest in the Lakeside Iron Co. which subsequently was known as the Lakeside Foundry Co., and since 1917 has been operated under the name, Clover Foundry Co. Since 1913, the business has been housed in the brick foundry erected in that year by Mr. Clover at Clay Ave. and Eleventh St. in Muskegon. Although Mr. Clover retired from active management of the company in 1916, he continued to serve as president of the firm until his death, which occurred in 1940. His son, Charles M. Clover, now is president and general manager of the company, and other officers are as follows: Harvey W. Clover, vice president and treasurer; and Gustave H. Dietrich, secretary. The company manufactured piston ring castings, and produced 20 million per year. Mr. Clover was a Republican, and a member of the following: Elks Lodge; M.W.A.; Muskegon Chapter, Citizens Historical Association; and Congregational Church. Mr. Clover motored to Florida every winter.
On November 5,1885, at Spanish River, Ontario, Canada, Charles S. Clover married Harriet Aston, who was born in Collingwood, Ontario, Canada, in 1867. Mrs. Clover died in 1935, and is buried in Muskegon, Michigan. Mr. and Mrs. Clover were the parents of 7 children, all of who reside in Muskegon:
(1) Harvey W., who is vice president and treasurer of the Clover Foundry Co. He married Sue Fredericks, and they are the parents of one child, Charles F.
(2) Charles M., who is president and general manager of the Clover Foundry Co. On March 12,1919, he married Eva Bogema, daughter of John and Minnie Bogema. John Bogema, who was a cabinetmaker, is deceased and is buried in Muskegon, where his widow now resides. Mr. and Mrs. Charles M. Clover are the parents of 5 children: Roberta, who was born in 1920, and now is a student at Michigan State College; Jean, who was born in 1922, and now is employed by the Muskegon Motor Specialties Co.; Marian, who was born in 1924, and now is a student of DePauw University; Patricia, who was born in 1926, and now is a student of Muskegon Junior College; and John C., who was born in 1929. Charles M. Clover is a member of the Blue Lodge, F. and A.M., the Muskegon Chapter of the Citizens Historical Association, and the Congregational Church. His favorite Recreations are hunting and fishing. Mr. Clover maintains a cabin on the Pere Marquette River. Each year he goes north for deer hunting, and fishing.
(3) Emma D., wife of Gustave H. Dietrich.
(4) Fannie, wife of Dr. Walter B. Steele, a dentist.
(5) Florence, wife of William M. Griffith.
(6) Alberta, wife of Thomas D. Kelly.
(7) Marian, wife of L.W. Powrie, who is engaged in the insurance business in North Muskegon.
Source: Citizens Historical Association, Indianapolis 2D20E61F142 September 6, 1941
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids