Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

LIVERPOOL - MARGARET GROGAN'S ANCESTORS

LANCASHIRE
A county of England, lying on the Irish Sea, and bounded by Cumberland, Westmoreland, Yorkshire, and Cheshire. It is 75 miles in length, and 30 in breadth. It is divided into 6 hundreds, which contain 27 market towns, 62 parishes, and 894 villages. This county comprises a variety of soil and face of country; there being mountains of more than 2000 feet high, in the north and eastern parts, with wide moorlands or heaths amongst them; extensive bogs or mosses, which yield only turf for fuel, and are very dangerous; and some most fertile land for agricultural purposes. it yields iron, coal, slate, and other building-stones; salt, &c. &c. Grazing is more attended to than agriculture. The fisheries, both in the rivers and the sea, are valuable. As a commercial and manufacturing county, Lancashire is distinguished beyond most others in the kingdom. Its principal manufactures are linen, silk, and cotton goods; fustians, counterpanes, shalloons, baize, serges, tapes, small wares, hats, sail-cloth, sacking, pins, iron goods, cast plate-glass, &c. Of the commerce of this county, it may suffice to observe, that Liverpool is now the second port in the United Kingdom. The principal rivers are the Mersey, Irwell, Ribble, Lune, Leven, Wyre, Hodder, Roche, Duddon, Winster, Kent, and Calder, and it has two considerable lakes, Windermere and Coniston Water. Lancaster is the county town. Population, 1,667,054. It returns 26 members to parliament.
(From Barclay's Complete and Universal Dictionary of 1842.)

Historical Geography
Hundreds or Wapentakes: Lancashire used the term Hundred to define an ancient area of administration which probably derives from the area having to supply 100 armed knights to serve the monarch or similar. For Taxation purposes, the Hundred was used for division until into the 19c.

County Hundreds are:
Amounderness: roughly North of Preston to South of Lancaster
Blackburn: east of Preston to Yorkshire West Riding
Leyland: south of Preston to Standish
Lonsdale North: Barrow-in-Furness, Carlisle
Lonsdale South: Lancaster, North Lancashire
Salford: roughly Greater Manchester
West Derby: all of west Lancashire to the Mersey

Source: GenUKI Lancashire page

West Derby is now a part of Liverpool and encompasses those areas outside the original centre of Liverpool. It includes such places as Toxteth Park ,Everton, Wavertree and indeed West Derby itself.
Old Swan is an area in Liverpool 13. There is a pub there called the Old Swan, probably named for a lake with swans on somewhere in the area. The full length of the Swan runs from Queens Drive/Prescott Road and extends further to Prescott Road/Green Lane, the main shopping area begins at Derby Lane/Presott Road.

Source: Lancashire mailing List

LIVERPOOL
It stands on the Mersey, and by its position, and wealth, has become the second port in the kingdom. It is, on the whole, a very handsome and commodious town; and the public buildings are numerous, and highly ornamental to it. The churches, the municipal edifices, the custom-house, the exchange, the charitable institutions, the markets, and the theatres, seem to have been constructed for the gratification of taste, as well as for their various and peculiar uses. But the docks are the most remarkable features of the town; and the construction of them has enabled it to take its distinguished position in the commerce of the world. Its inland trade is aided by the rivers Irwell and Weaver, by the canals, and by the railroads, which converge there. It is 206 miles from London. Population, 286,487.
(From Barclay's Complete and Universal Dictionary of 1842.)

Source:
GenUKI Liverpool

Look up Exchange
The Lancashire Look-up Exchange Page

Maps
Map of Liverpool and West Derby Source: Multimap

Lancashire 1829, This map was drawn in 1829 by G. Hennet and shows Lancashire in detail.
from Don Dickson web site

Societies
Liverpool & South West Lancashire Family History Society

Back to the top


Names Index
Back to Margaret Grogan's Home Page
Back to Margaret Grogan's Maps Page
EMAIL