Updated 20 June 1999
Transcribed by Daniel Geary and posted here with her kind permission.
The following is a transcription of a few grave stones located in a small cemetery across the street from the parking lot of Croagh Patrick in Murrisk, Co. Mayo. The cemetery is behind the National Memorial to the Victims of the Great Famine which was dedicated during the summer of 1997. Also sending these to the Cork List. I hope someone will find these helpful:
1) In Loving Memory of Edward GRODEN of Murrisk Died 28th May 1928 and his wife Catherine Died 28th Dec 1955. Also their son Edward Died 18th June 1970 aged 60 years.
2) Pray for the souls of Austin GILL of Murrisk and his wife Julia and her brother Thomas GANNON RIP Erected by Martin GILL (No dates on stone) On base of stone - Baby Bernard Oct. 1990
3) In loving memory of Thomas GRODEN, Murrisk. Died 24th Mar 1983. Aged 70 years
4) In loving memory of John GRODEN, Murrisk. Died 25th May 1959 and his wife Catherine died 28th July 1917.
5) In loving memory of Michael GRODEN, Murrisk. Died 11th May 1964. His wife Bridget died 19th Feb. 1982. And their son Austie died 28th Nov. 1988 and their son Michael John died 10th Dec 1993. RIP.
6) In loving memory of Austin BURKE, Carrowkerran. Died 19th June 1957. Aged 76 years. His wife Maria, died 13th Jan 1961, aged 78 years. RIP.
7) In loving memory of John F. GRODEN, Died 18th July 1976. Sarah GRODEN, Died 25th Oct. 1979. May GRODEN, Died 14th Mar. 1981.
8) In loving memory of Patrick GRODEN, Murrisk Pier. Died 6th April 1954. His wife Anne Died 20th Mar. 1987. RIP
9) Frank GRODEN, Murrisk. Died 11th April 1981. RIP
10) In loving memory of Paddy GRODEN, Murrisk na Boll Died 29th Mar. 1970. And his wife Katie Died 29th Sept. 1980. Also his Uncle Patrick GAVIN Died 9th Dec. 1976. And their son Sean Died 10th April 1994 following an accident. Aged 36 years. RIP.
11) In loving memory of Pat GRODEN, Murrisk Died 26th Oct. 1978 aged 63 years. And his wife Winifred died 18th April 1988. RIP.
12) In loving memory of Eddie GRODEN, Bristol and Murrisk, died 7th April 1995. Aged 64 years. Rest in Peace.