Updated 16 June 1999
Transcribed by Anita and posted here with her kind permission.These are names of some of the grave monuments from St.James cemetery. I have photographs for the first 8 only. I ran out of film that day but continued to copy in my notebook 10 more inscriptions from other headstones.
As before with St.Marys, I realize this is very limited information, but hopefully will be of help to someone. If you think one of the first 8 might be one of your ancestors and would like a copy of the photograph, please email me. If you need records of any of these people, I'm not sure, but I would guess Mallow Heritage Centre might have them.
Grave Monuments, St.James Protestant Cemetery, Mallow
1) Cornelius Shehanes son Denis died the 8th day of February 1766 aged 22 Also his brother David died the same day, aged 13
2) John Sheehan erected this stone in memory of his father Timothy Sheehan who died March 19th 1810 Aged 57 years also his wife Elizabeth died January 4th 1816 aged 46 years. May their souls rest in peace Amen
3) Matthew Sullivan erected this stone in memory of his father Michael Sullivan who died July the 16th 1832 aged 52 years, also his mother Elizth. Sullivan who died July the 9th 1832 aged 56 years. May their souls rest in peace Amen
4) Peter Lynch erected this in memory of his father, John Lynch who died Decbr. 2nd 1816 aged 52 years also brother David died July 13th 1830 aged 32 years. May their sould rest in peace Amen
5) The burial place of (Con) Sheehan of Bathview and his wife Hannah who died Feb. 1st 1888. Also his daughter Ellen died May 13th 1865, Ellen Finn erected this stone in memory of her son John Finn who departed this life Feb. 2nd 1846 aged 35 years. May his soul rest in peace Amen. *note- The Finn headstone seems to be the original, the Sheehan names are carved above the Finn names.
6) Erected by Mrs. Ellen Sullivan in memory of her son John Sullivan. Died 1860 aged 28 years. RIP
7) Dennis Sullivan erected this in memory of his father Dens. who died June the 15th 1805 aged 76, his mother Honora who died Feb. the 22nd 1803 aged 56 his Br. Michl. who died March the 14th 1804 aged 26 his sister Mary who died August the 1st 1805 aged 30 years also several of his brothers and sisters. May they rest in peace Amen
8) Erected by John Riley of Ballydaheen in memory of his beloved wife Mary who died July 1853 aged 35 years. RIP
(end of photos)
1) Erected by Mary O'Connor, Mallow in memory of her brother John Shaughnessy who died Oct. 18th 1861 aged 30 years and of her mother Honora Shaughnessy who died Decbr. 10th 1872 aged 72 years. May their souls rest in peace Amen
2) Erected by Mary Leary to the memory of her beloved husband Patrick Leary who died Decr. 21st 1836 aged 50 yrs. May his soul rest in peace Amen
3) The burial place of the O'Neals of Quartertown, Joseph O'Neal died Nov. 9th 1796 aged 60 years. May their sould rest in peace Amen.
4) Erected by Bridget Nagle in the memory of her beloved husband William Nagle who departed this life Decbr. 5th 1867 aged 30 years May his soul rest in peace Amen
5) Here lies the body of Timothy Kelleher who died 1742 aged 60 also his wife Johanna died 1779 aged 50.
6) Richard Leahy erected this in memory of his father Michael Leahy who departed this life July 24th 1821 aged 77 years also his Aunt Mary Leahy died March 1st 1823 aged 75 years. May their souls rest in peace Amen
7) Erected by Elizabeth Lynch in loving memory of her husband John Lynch of Mallow who died October 12th 1889 aged 34 years also his father Michael died April 10th 1888 aged 72 years and mother Anne Lynch died June 17th 1888 aged 66 years
8) Erected by Edmond Roche of Churchtown to the memory of his father Michael Roche, died March 29th 1829 aged 48 years. Also his mother Charlotte G. Carpenter Roche died Septbr. 4th 1875 aged 95 years. his daughter Charlotte Roche died March 28th 1870 aged 49 years.
9) Honora Quinlan wife to Charles O'Callaghan departed this life July ye 25th 1775 aged 54 years
10) Ellenor Callaghan wife to Denis Shehane died ye 10th day of Febry. 1745 aged 40 years.