My Home By The Lee
Updated 12 Dec 2000
Submitted by Brendan Sisk and posted here with his kind permission.
The following information is gleaned from the "My Home By The Lee" book.
Allen's Marsh was the area where Union Quay and Copley Street are situated.
Ballymacthomas was the area (west of Shandon St. to St. Nicholas Well and from Cathedral Road to Blarney St.).
Barrack Street began in early 18th C as Bridge Street (South Gate Bridge) with locals also calling it Bandon Road.
Blackmoor Lane ran along the north side of Forde's Public House from Barrack Street to Drinan Street. It has been incorporated into Westimer's Restaurant.
Bishop or Twigg Island now sites Jury's Hotel.
Bookseller's Row was another name for Castle St.
Bowling Green in 1773 was bounded by today's Douglas Street, the grounds of St. Finbarr's South Church, O'Sheas Builders and White Street. See plaque in ESB transformer station wall.
Brown Street is now the site of Paul Street Shopping Complex.
Brunswick Street became St. Augustine's St.
Brunswick Bridge became King George IV and now O'Neill-Crowley Bridge.
Buckingham Square is now Buckingham Place.
Cambridge Lane became Beasley Street.
The Camp Field is now occupied by "The Western Star" pub and "Vork Greyhound Track".
Castle Lane became Castle St., which was also known as Bookseller's Row.
Cat Lane is now called Tower Street.
Charter House Lane (by 1766) was formerly Farringer Lane and became Tobin St. (in 1801).
Codfill Lane became Paul's Lane.
Cold Harbour became Parnell Place.
The Collegiate Chapel of St. Finbarr is known as The Honan Chapel.
The County Prison is now occupied by UCC Science Block.
Court Lane linked the city (Main St.) & county (Queen's Old Castle) courthouses.
Coppinger Lane became Old Bridewell Lane, today marked by No. 48 Nth. Main St.
Cove Lane became Cove Street.
The Cross of Cameleire was sited at the northern end of today's Mary Street.
Dame Tirrie's Lane became Coleman's Lane.
Dingle Lane was on the Nth. side of Kyle St.
Island Nagary became Red Abbey Marsh became Dunbar's Marsh became Lavitt's Marsh became Dog Island became Morrison's Island.
Duke Street became Thomas Davis Street.
Dundanion Quay was replaced by Navigation Wall and later by King's Quay, from Dundanion Castle to Blackpool village. King's Quay is now Monahan Road in Ballintemple.
Evergreen Street appeared in the late 17th C but was unnamed until the 18th C when it became Maypole Lane until the early 19th C representing the lush greenery of the Green of Cork. (Faitche pronounced Faha known by locals as Fodteach or Place of Proclamation)
Evergreen Buildings was originally Old Barrack Lane for the barracks which stood where Prosperity Square now stands.
Farrandahadoremore (Fearann an Dathadora) "territory of the Artist / Painter" is now Wilton.
Farringer Lane became Charter House Lane (by 1766) and Tobin St. (in 1801).
The Flaggs was the paved area from Nos. 13-52 Main St.
Fine Alley Lane became Pembroke Street.
Fishamble Lane is now Liberty Street.
Gaol Road is now College Rd.
George's Street became Prince's Street (south).
George's Quay western portion was called Savage Row and eastern called Morrisson's Quay.
Great Britain Street became Great William O'Brien Street.
Globe Lane also called Slip Lane was a row of houses on the northern end of French's Quay.
Greenmount was formerly Gallows Green, a site of public execution.
Green Street was Gallows Green Lane.
Gunpowder Quay was the lower portion of Marina.
Hammond's Quay became Grattan Street.
Harper's Lane became Paul's Avenue.
Hawker's Lane later Hughes Lane is now Dalton's Avenue
Hoare's Lane became Adelaide St.
Inchigaggin Bridge is popularly known as Carrigrohane Bridge.
Kelleher's Lane became Watercourse Mill Road became Assumption Road.
Lavitt's Buildings became Strand St (included Lower Glanmire Road) became King's St. became MacCurtain Street.
Little Cork in early times, is now South Main Street.
Magazine Road was known as Macroom Road and Bandon Road during 18th and first half of 19th C.
Monerea Marsh was renamed Marina in 1780, bounded by todays South City Link Road, Station Road, Victoria Road and the southern bank of Old Blackrock Road.
Morrison's Place is now South Terrace.
Mulgrave Street became John Redmond Street.
New Chapel Lane is now Dunbar Street.
New Lane became St. Nicholas' Well Lane.
New Great Road (originally Owls Marsh became Fenn's Marsh ) became Washington St. West, while the eastern end was New Street.
New Street became Roman Street.
Nicholas Street dates from early 18th C when it was New Street and later New Lane until the 1830's when it's present name was given due to it's proximity to St. Nicholas' Church.
North Abbey became North Mall.
Old Chapel Lane became Cathedral Walk.
The Old Lance or Mardyke School is now the Square Deal Premises.
Owls Marsh became Fenn's Marsh and later New Great Road and later Washington St. West, while the eastern end was New St.
Penrose Quay became Henry Street.
Philip's Lane was replaced by a new apartment complex in 1997
Presbyterian Meeting House Lane became Princes Street (north).
Quaker Road appeared early 18th C as Grave Yard Lane from a Quaker burial ground on it's north side.
It's present name applied from 1850's.
Red Abbey Marsh bounded by today's south channel of the Lee, White Street, Douglas Street and Mary Street.
Red Abbey Lane (1726) is now Douglas Street.
At the end of the 18th C. Cove Lane appeared at it's eastern end while the western end was called Abbey Lane. In the 1830's Cove Lane became Douglas Street and Abbey Lane became Abbey Street.
Reed Court is on the site of The Potato Market on Barrack Hill.
Rogerson's Lane became Cathedral Street.
Sawmill Street constructed in the 1780's on Morrison's Gardens ran from today's White Street to Infirmary Road. It was unnamed for almost a century.
Seigh's Marsh was on the site of Anglesea Street.
Seven Ovens Quay became Lavitt's Quay.
Stable Lane became Rochford's Lane.
St. John's Church and graveyard was on the south side of Douglas Street opposite Dunbar Street.
St. Peter's Church Lane became St. Peter's Avenue.
Sullivan's Quay had a large Mill Pond at the eastern end bounded by today's Mary Street, Cove Street, Drinan Street and this quay, during the 17th C.
Sullivan's Quay also had Roch's Key running from present day Sober Lane to Mary Street from 1720-1740.
Thomas Street is now White Street.
Three Hatchet Lane until 1850's then became Reed's Square.
Tooker Marsh is bounded by today's south channel of the Lee, Victoria Road, Station Road and the east side of Anglesea Street. It incorporates thoroughfares such as the South City Link Road (originally the Cork and Bandon Railway Line), Albert Quay, Eglington Street, Albert Street and Albert Road.
Tuckey Quay became Grand Parade.
Dean Street was part of a much longer road.
From 1700's it ran from Barrack Street to College Road.
Western section from Bishop Street to College Road is now called Gill Abbey Street.
Second section was named Dean Street in 1760.
Eastern section is called Fort Street after Elizabeth Fort.
Murphy's Lane is now Vicar Street.
Potato Quay is now Cornmarket St.
Wellington Bridge is now Thomas Davis Bridge.
Back to the Cork Page