Pigot & Co.'s Directory
1824 - Cork City
Updated 12 Nov 1999
Transcribed from public records by Anita Sheahan Coraluzzi and
Margaret Moon and posted to Genexchange County Cork mailing list and used here with her kind permission.
Alphabetical Reference Index to Cork City Pigot's Surname Order
Merchants, Tradesmens, &c. of Cork City Column Number Order
The most commercial city, and the second in magnitude in Ireland, is the
capital of the county of the same name, and distant 124 miles from south west
of Dublin, 25 nearly west of Youghal, 42 south west of Clonmel, and 60 west
south west of Waterford.
It is a bishops see, and is supposed to be coeval with the foundation of the
cathedral, which was erected in the early part of the sixth century; but,
most probably, it owes its more regular conformation to the Danes, by whom it
was surrounded with walls and fortified in the ninth century.
Yet it never was a place of very considerable strength, although it made
resistance for five days in the year 1690, against the Earl of Marlborough,
who recovered it from King James forces, and made the garrison, consisting of
4500 men, prisoners of war.
The river Lee divides itself into two branches a little above the town, and
unites again a little below it, encompassing a considerable extent of ground,
on which a great portion of the town stands; it is here navigable for vessels
of 150 tons and thus the merchants receive cargoes in the very heart of the
city, where numerous and convenient quays are erected.
By means of this useful river the town enjoys all the advantages of its fine
harbour at Cove, with all the convenience of an island situation, to supply
the general wants of a populous country.
The municipal government is vested in a mayor, recorder, bailiffs, town
clerk, aldermen and common council; the chief magistrate is annually elected
from amongst the burgesses.
The corporation have ever been magnificently attentive to the welfare of the
city, and to their indefatigable exertions the old town is indebted for most
of its healthful improvements.
Cork is very extensive, and several of the principal streets are well built
and airy; some of them are even spacious and elegant.
One of these, called the grand parade, is embellished at the south end, near
the river, with a handsome equestrian statue of George the Second, elevated
on a pedestal, in the front of which is the following inscription.
THE CITIZENS OF CORK
ERECTED THIS STATUE
TO THE MEMORY OF
KING GEORGE THE SECOND
IN GRATITUDE FOR THE MANY
BLESSINGS THEY ENJOYED
DURING HIS AUSPICIOUS REIGN
Many of the houses are very lofty and fronted with blue slates, which give
them a peculiar appearance.
Bridges, erected across the river at the most convenient points, materially
contribute to facilitate a general communication with the various outlets
leading to this populous city.
The principal one, called S. Patrick's, which leads into a fine, open street
of the same name, is elegant and modern; it consists of three beautifully
formed arches, with a draw bridge at the northern extremity.
The liberties of Cork extend about four miles in every direction, and are
thickly interspersed with beautiful country residences, which are adorned in
a style of elegance and neatness corresponding with the taste of their
Near the Glenmire road, on the side of a hill are many splendid mansions
surrounded with gardens, lofty trees, and richly cultivated lands, and the
beauty of the whole is considerably heightened by a distinct view of the sea.
In an opposite direction, also, country seats, tastefully arranged, and well
wooded, present the most delightful and picturesque scenery, that nature and
art can form.
Sunday's Well affords some delightful views, particularly of the town and
Here the new city goal, facing the south, is just completed, which when
viewed from a distance, has the appearance of a magnificent castle. On each
side of the entrance is an elevated tower, and immediately over the door
between the towers is the drop, for the execution of malefactors.
The prison is surrounded by an extensive wall, with turrets at each corner to
correspond with its gateway; it is also secured by inner walls of great
height and strength.
The turnkey's house forms the centre of the interior building, constructed in
a corresponding castellated form, on each side of which are the chapels.
The prisoners' apartments stretch forward to the south, each end terminating
with a circular but elevated tower.
The whole is built of dark brown stone, procured from adjacent quarries,
except the quoins which are of limestone.
This structure cost 60,000 L. in its erection, and is considered to be as
substantial and complete an edifice as any of the description in the three
kingdoms.---On an eminence nearly opposite Sunday's Well, the county goal,
substantial and secure, was most judiciously erected about 30 years since.
The old public building must have been very elegant at the period of their
erection, but the alteration of taste has disrobed them of their ancient
The exchange built by an Italian architect is a large structure, ornamented
with Doric and Tuscan columns, with a cupola and a clock--The adjacent
market-house is a spacious building, executed in the Tuscan order.
The churches, chapels, meeting houses, hospitals and charitable institutions
are internally spacious, neat and convenient, and more distinguished for real
utility than external embellishment.
The custom-house, situated at the termination of Merchant's quay, is built of
hewn stone, and is beautifully chaste in design; the front is surmounted by
an elegant pediment, in the centre of which are the United arms, finely
sculpted in stone.
The commercial rooms with their extensive reading rooms and hotel, situated
in a spacious, handsome street called the South Mall, are contained in an
extensive and elegant structure, the front of which is tastefully embellished
with pilasters and other ornamental designs.
In Patrick Street is a commodious, but unadorned structure of hewn stone,
built by the chamber of commerce.
Daly's club house, on the grand parade, is a plain extensive building, in
which are handsome reading rooms, card rooms, &c. for the use of its members.
The grand parade club house in Tuckey Street is a similar establishment.
The theatre in George's Street is a tolerably large building with a portico
There is also a linen hall and a butter weigh house.
The market near the centre of town, is covered in, and very judiciously
arranged for butcher's meat, poultry, fish, vegetables, &c. with all of which
it is most plentifully supplied: there are also other markets of minor
importance in different parts of the town.
On a commanding rocky eminence stands a capacious barrack, capable of
accommodating four regiments of infantry and 1000 cavalry, with an extensive
area in front for the exercise of the troops.
The city of Cork, previous to the year 1726, contained thirteen parishes but
these were reduced to seven. Between that period and 1749 the old churches
were removed and others erected in their stead; St. Peter's however was not
rebuilt until the year 1783.
The cathedral, which is dedicated to St. Finn Barr, is situated upon an
eminence; it is kept in excellent repair, and possesses a tower with a spire
of considerable height, but of very inelegant form; within a short distance
is the bishops palace.
The parish church of St. Ann, on the northern side of the river, is erected
on a very elevated site, and forms a striking object.
A little lower down on the same side is situated the parish church of St.
Mary Shandon, to which the old parish of St. Catherine is united.
The exterior of St. Peter's is simple and plain, and, as to interior
elegance, it far surpasses any church in the city.
Christ Church, one of the largest modern parish churches in Ireland, was
built in 1749 of hewn stone with a tall steeple; but the foundation being
bad, it gave way at one side, which obliged it to be taken down, and the
remainder of the building is so shattered from the foundation, that it has
been considered prudent to raze the whole and build a new one.
St. Paula's, in the eastern part of the city, is a large and neat building,
but without a steeple.
The church of St. Nicholas, which serves for six parishes, is a small,neat
building, but also without a steeple.
Besides the churches of the Establishment, and a chapel of ease at the
foundling hospital, the Catholics have three chapels, four friaries, three
nunneries, and two monastic establishments; the Methodists possess three
chapels, and the Presbyterians, Calvinists, Baptists, and Quakers, have each
one place of worship.
The public institutions and charitable foundations of Cork are highly
creditable to the benevolent exertions of its inhabitants.
The royal Cork institution, founded for the application of science to the
common purposes of life, was incorporated by royal charter in 1807, and is
principally supported by an annual parliamentary grant; attached to this
institution are a botanic garden, a science library, a museum of minerals,
and a collection of farming implements to serve as models for agriculturists.
The Right Honourable Earl of Shannon, president; Edmund Davy, esq., professor
of chemistry;James Willis, M.D., professor of natural philosophy; George
Tisdal, esq., professor of agriculture; Thomas Taylor M.D., lecturer on
natural history; Mr. Richard Dowden, librarian.
Eight farming societies , in different parts of the country, receive an
annual grant from this institution for the promotion of agricultural
Contiguous is the saving's bank, which is open every Saturday from twelve
o'clock till three.
The Cork library society, instituted in the year 1790, is supported by the
annual subscription of one guinea, and the admission fee of half a guinea.
This library is stored with many thousand volumes of the first literary
eminence. The Rev. Doctor Sealy Baldwin president, Mr. Thomas Cuthbert
vice-president; Mr. T.W. Newsome, treasurer; Doctor Seymour, secretary; and
Mr. Thomas Carr, librarian.
The Cork public library and reading room, at the Minerva rooms, No.10 Duncan
Street, was opened in 1819 and possesses a valuable collection of many
thousand volumes; it is supported by subscriptions paid in advance.
The Cork scientific and literary society, in Faulkener's lane, St. Patrick
Street, was formed in 1820 for the free discussion of subjects connected with
the arts, sciences, and general literature, and is open every Thursday
between October and June from eight in the evening till eleven.
The Cork society for promoting the fine arts has, for its object, the general
improvement of talent and genius, by establishing an annual exhibition of
original pictures, forming a collection of casts and models, and founding an
academy for drawing and sculpture.
The house of industry, instituted by act of parliament in 1777 for the
reception of poor aged men and women, also of vagrants and strolling
prostitutes, is supported by presentments, and is capable of accommodating
700 persons; the lunatic asylum adjoins it.
The governors are the members of parliament, the bishop and the mayor of Cork
for the time being, and such gentlemen as may be elected, or as pay three
pounds per annum; the board of governors meets every Tuesday, and the
institution is open at all times for public inspection.
Saint Finn Barr's female school is supported by subscriptions, and the
profits of the children's work. This school was established in March 1811,
for the education of children of the established church belonging to the
parish, who, when of competent age, are apprenticed to trades or placed as
servants; it contains at present 50 children.
The house of recovery, situated in the north liberties of the city, was
erected in 1802 for the reception and cure of fever patients; by this
philanthropic establishment the spreading of that malignant disease has met a
The Indigent Room Keepers society was established in 1808; its sole object is
the relief of those who, by age, misfortune, or infirmity, are incapacitated
The charity school and alms house, in Christ Church lane, were endowed in
1742 by Mrs. Shearman, for educating 15 poor boys of the established church,
and the alms house was particularly endowed by Mrs. Newman, for the support
of the poor of both sexes.
The parochial female school, Christ Church parish, was commenced in 1813 by
the parishioners, who support it by voluntary contributions. There are at
present 56 children on the books, who are educated and clothed as far as the
funds will admit, and several ladies attend in weekly rotation to superintend
the education of the children, and the internal regulation of the school.
The Peter Street charity school, endowed by Mrs. Shearman, clothes and
educates ten boys, until they arrive at a proper age to be apprenticed.
Dean's charity school, in St. Peter's parish, was founded in 1817, by Moses
Dean, Esq., for educating the children of poor Protestants. The present
number is 25 boys and 35 girls, who are taught reading, writing and
needle-work; fifty receive clothes, and all at a proper age are apprenticed.
Several ladies gratuitously superintend the establishment. The fund for the
support of this institution is the interest of a sum of money deposited in
the hands of the corporation, aided by the contributions of the parishioners
Pomeroy's school and library was founded by the late Archdeacon Pomeroy for
the instruction of ten children, such as the bishop shall recommend; the
master has a salary of 20 pounds.
The plan of the Cork friendly society was presented to the public by the
general committee of the society for bettering the condition of the poor. The
object is to enable tradesmen, servants and labourers to provide a support
for themselves in sickness or old age, by subscribing one shilling British
per month if under 30 years of age at the time of subscribing, 1s. 4d. if
between 30 and 40, and 1s. 9d. if between 40 and 50.
The society for ameliorating the condition and increasing the comforts of the
poor, is patronized by his Excellency the Lord Lieutenant; the Right Rev.
Bishop of Cork is president.
There are two schools for the education of children, whose parents are unable
to pay for their instruction, one of which is in the north parish, and the
other near the Mardyke, called the Lancasterian school. In both about 1500
boys are taught reading, writing and arithmetic; and as far as the state of
the funds will admit, are clothed and apprenticed out to trades. They are
supported by voluntary subscriptions, and the clergy of the monastery have
undertaken the superintendence of both institutions.
The Magdalen asylum, Peacock-lane, for the reformation of penitent deluded
females, was founded by Nicholas Therry, Esq. and opened in January 1800.
This institution is supported by the industry of the inmates, Mr. Therry's
annuity, and the subscriptions of the benevolent.
The Protestant free school, Brown-street, was instituted under the patronage
of her Royal Highness the Princess Augusta, in 1808. This establishment is
now, by the increasing bounty of its friends, enabled to educate 300 children
of both sexes, who are taught the principles of industry, morality and
religion. Those children, whose extreme poverty renders them objects of
peculiar commiseration, are provided with a meal daily, and clothed by a
The North Sunday and day school, situated in Black Pool, was founded in 1811
, affords instruction, and, as far as its funds admit, food and raiment to
children of every religious persuasion.
The Masonic female orphan asylum was opened in March 1820, for the reception
of the daughters of deceased masons, who are maintained, clothed, educated,
and when of a fit age apprenticed; the present number of children is 15.
Miss French's charity house, Paul-street, instituted in 1820 by Miss
French, affords an asylum to distressed persons, and otherwise contributes to their
The foundling hospital in Leitrim-street, is on an extensive scale, and is
supported by a tax of one shilling per ton on all coals imported into Cork.
The mayor, sheriffs, and common speaker for the time being, together with the
common council and 26 freemen of the city, annually elected, are governors.
The Lying-in-Hospital in Nile-street is chiefly supported by charity sermons.
It was founded in 1810, and is reported not to have lost a patient.
The orphan society is supported by voluntary subscriptions.
The humane society is intended for the recovery of apparently drowned
persons, and for administering advice and medicine to the poor.
The Cork society was established for the relief and discharge of persons
confined for small debts, and has annexed to it a charitable loan society.
The blue coat hospital was founded in the year 1700, by Dr. Edward Worth, for
the maintenance and education of freemen's sons.
The green coat hospital also affords an asylum to 20 boys and 20 girls.
A school of industry was established in 1801 for educating, dieting, and
clothing 100 children of both sexes, without any exception as to religious
The Cork eye infirmary, established in Caroline-street, in 1818, is under the
exclusive direction of Dr. Hocken, and supported by voluntary contributions.
Each subscriber of one guinea has the privilege of recommending a certain
number of patients. There are in this establishment six beds, appropriated
solely to patients who undergo an operation. During the first four years
5,377 persons were relieved. Attendance on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays
at ten o'clock.
The north charitable infirmary was incorporated by act of parliament in 1720,
and opened in 1744, by the Honbl. and Right Rev. Dr. Robert Clayton, then
Lord Bishop of Cork. It is supported by an annual parliamentary grant,
subscriptions, donations, and bequests. Annual subscribers of ten pounds are
entitled to recommend inpatients, for whose accommodation there are 22 beds.
The south charitable infirmary incorporated by act of parliament in 1792, was
founded for the same laudable purpose with the preceeding, and is supported
in the same manner, aided by the city grand jury subscriptions. It contains
The harbour of Cork is opposite to Cove, seven miles below the city where the
heaviest ships may ride in safety; those of great draught can proceed no
farther than Passage, five miles and a half from the town, the Lee, as was
said before, admitting vessels of no more than 150 tons to the quays.
The merchants carry on a very extensive trade, particularly in exports.
British ships, bound to the West Indies and other Trans-Atlantic ports,
generally put in here to victual, particularly in time of war, when it is
computed that upwards of 100,000 cattle are annually slaughtered from the
beginning of October to the latter end of January.
The imports consist of spices, grocery, hardware, earthenware, cloth, coals,
and various other articles from England; of wines, brandy, oil, timber,
shingles, staves, tar, turpentine, rum, sugar, flax seed, &c. from the
continent of Europe, America, the West Indies, &c.
In the year 1812, there were exported 57,156 barrels of grain, 2,896 cwt. of
flour and meal, 34,750 barrels of beef, 127,084 cwt. of butter, 64,990
barrels of pork, 4,813 flitches of bacon, 5000 live bullocks and cows, 10,000
hogs, and 1,337,787 yards of plain, with 105,394 yards of coloured linen.
The other exports consist chiefly of raw and prepared hides, tallow, candles,
sheep, calves, lambs, yarn, rabbit-skins, whiskey and porter.
The principal manufactures are sail-cloth, sheeting-paper, leather, glue,
glass, coarse woolen cloth, with various inferior articles.
Cork sends two members to the united parliament, and its present
representatives are Sir Nicholas Conway Colthurst, Bart. and the
Honbl.Christopher Hely Hutchinson.
The market days are Wednesday and Saturday, and fairs are held on
Trinity-Monday and the 1st of October.
The population, according to the last census, was 85,000.
**Post Office**, Caroline Street.--Post Master, Henry Fortescue, Esq.
--Deputy Post Master, Mr. John Fitzgerald. The Dublin Mail, via Clonmel, is due
in Cork every evening, except Monday, at half past five, and is despatched
every evening, except Saturday at eight. Dublin Mail via Cashel, is due every morning, except Monday, at seven, and is despatched every evening,
except Saturday, at half past five. The English mails arrive and are
despatched every day. The Limerick, Croom, Bruff, Kilmallock, Kildonery (sic), Charleville, Buttevant, Donaraile, Kanturk and Mallow mails are due
every evening at eight, and go out every morning at six. Middleton,
Castle-Martyr, Cloyne, Youghal, Tallow, Lismore, Cappoquin, Dungarvan, Kilmacthomas
and Waterford are due every night at half past nine, and go out every morning
at five. Innoshannon, Bandon, Kinsale, Clonakilty, Dunmanway,
Rosscarberry, Skibbereen and Bantry, are due every evening at five, and go out every morning at eight. Dingle, Tralee, Mill-town, Killarney, Kenmare,
Millstreet, Macroom and Ballincollig, are due every evening at half past six, and go
out every morning at eight.
N.B. The English Mail generally arrives at five in the afternoon, and
is despactched at the same time. Foreign letters go by Dublin, Welsh letters
by the Waterford mail.
RATES OF POSTAGE FROM CORK TO GREAT BRITAIN
Between Cork and London by way of Holyhead 2s.1d.
Between Cork and London by way of Haverford West 1 10
Between Cork and Holyhead 1 1
RATES OF POSTAGE
By an Act of Parliament passed in 1814, the former rate of postage in
Ireland was repealed, and a new rate substituted agreeable to the following scale:
When the distance does not exceed 7 miles.......2d.
When over 7 miles and not 15....................3
When over 15 miles and not 25...................4
When over 25 miles and not 35...................5
When over 35 miles and not 45...................6
When over 45 miles and not 55...................7
When over 55 miles not over 65.................8d.
When over 65 miles not over 95..................9
When over 95 miles not over 120.................10
When over 120 miles not over 150................11
When over 150 miles not over 200................12
When over 200 miles not over 250................13
Back to the Cork Page