Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   



Geschichte der Deutschen in Syracuse und Onondaga County
Nebst Kurzen Biographien
von Beamten und Hervorragenden Buergern

Friedrich Schug
Friedrich Schug
[Photo appears on page 135.]

Biographische Skizzen


Friedrich Schug

Friedrich Schug, geboren am 21. Februar 1831 zu Ulmet, Rheinpfalz, kam am 4. August 1848 nach Amerika und liess sich gleich in Syracuse nieder. Hier erlernte er das Sattlerhandwerk und eröffnete am 9. September ’53 ein eigenes Geschäft an Nordsalinastrasse, nahe Willow, betrieb dasselbe bis ’57, wurde dann Polizist, ’63 Polizeichef bis ’68. Verzog mit seiner Familie nach Oswego, N. Y., eröffnete hier mit G. Benz ein Möbelgeschäft und blieb bis ’70. Kehrte nach Syracuse zurück, gründete mit H. Braun ein Cigarren-Geschäft im Ackermann-Gebäude und war zu gleicher Zeit Ver. Staaten-Geheimpolizist. In ’75 wurde er Criminal-Deputy-Sheriff für 9 Jahre. ’84 verband er sich mit den Gebrüder Georg und Benjamin Maurer und errichtete den berühmten Sommervergnügungsplatz "Long Branch", welches Unternehmen vortheilhaft ausschlug. Im Juli ’53 verheirathete er sich mit Fraulein Philippine Koppel, gebürtig aus Bismisheim, Preussen,[.] Aus dieser Ehe entsprossen 6 Kinder, wovon noch eins lebt, Frau Catherina Fischer. Seine Heimstätte befindet sich seit 29 Jahren in No. 704 Townsendstrasse. [page 293]

Friedrich Schug, born on 21 February 1831 in Ulmet, Rheinpfalz, came on 4 August 1848 to America and settled immediately in Syracuse. Here he learned the handcraft of upholstering and on 9 September 1853 opened his own business on North Salina Street near Willow, operating the same until he became a policeman in 1857, and was Chief of Police from 1863 to 1868 [?]. Moving to Oswego, New York with his family, he opened here [there in Oswego or "here" in Syracuse?] a furniture business with G. Benz and remained until 1870. He returned to Syracuse and started with H. Braun a cigar business in the Ackerman Building and was at the same time [an undercover State policeman?]. In 1875 he became Criminal Deputy Sheriff for nine years. In 1884 he joined with the brothers Georg and Benjamin Maurer to build that famous summer entertainment place, the Long Branch, which enterprise flourished admirably. He was married in July 1853 to the former Miss Philippine Koppel, native of Bismisheim, Prussia. From this marriage have come six children, of whom only one is now living, Mrs. Catherina Fischer. His home for the past 29 years has been at No. 704 Townsend Street.

Copyright 2005 Michelle Stone. Warning! No guarantees apply concerning the accuracy of this German-to-English translation! It is merely a rudimentary and non-professional attempt provided as a public service by M. Stone using a dictionary and automatic online translation services, http://world.altavista.com/ and http://www.freetranslation.com/. Those who can offer improvements and corrections, please email me.





BACK to Geschichte Biographies List

BACK to Geschichte Contents Page

Home