Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   


Geschichte der Deutschen in Syracuse und Onondaga County
Nebst Kurzen Biographien
von Beamten und Hervorragenden Buergern


Nachtrag
[Addendum]

English translation at the bottom of this page


[pages 236-249:]


Durch weitere Nachforschungen haben wir noch manche geschichtliche Thatsachen entdeckt, welche für die Geschichte der Deutschen im County von höchstem Interesse sind. Wie schon bemerkt, gab es deutsche Ansiedler in fast allen Towns im County, besonders hatten aber Manlius, Otisco, Salina und Cicero den Vorzug. In diesen Towns begegnet man noch heute zahlreichen Namen, deren Träger von frühen deutschen Ansiedlern abstammen.

In Marcellus wohnte im Jahre 1801 ein Johann Meyer, welcher in der Wahl für Staatssenator als Kandidat auftrat.

In Manlius begegnen wir in 1803 einem gewissen Wilhelm Rheinlaender und Peter B. Messinger figurirt (1807) als einer der Gründer der dortigen Congregationlisten-Gemeinde.

Otisco erhielt eine grosse Anzahl deutscher Ansiedler in den 50er und 60er Jahren, und nach mässiger Schätzung wohnen noch heute etwa 150 Deutsche dort, die fast alle wohlhabende Farmer sind. Unter diesen war Georg Edinger der anerkannte Führer, dessen Einfluss weit reichte und welcher Ende der 80er Jahre Loan Commissioner war bis er Anfangs der 90er Jahre starb. Ausserdem seien noch die folgenden aus Otisco erwähnt: Peter Riehlmann sr., Peter Riehlmann jr., Jacob Schäfer, jr., L. Hoffmann, Peter und Carl Edinger, Tobias Eibert und Carl Waldburger.

In Clay liessen sich ungefähr um das Jahre 1810 eine Anzahl junger Deutscher nieder, welche aus Schoharie County hierher gezogen waren. Ihre Eltern waren fast alle aus Deutschland gekommen und hatten sich in Schoharie County niedergelassen. In 1810 kam Johann Sommers, dessen Vater deutscher lutherischer Prediger in Schoharie war, mit den 3 Brüdern Yung (Peter, Christian, und Johann) nach Clay. Sie nahmen grosse Landstrecken in Besitz und brachten es bald zu Wohlstand. Etwa um 1812 kam weiterer Nachschub aus Schoharie an, darunter ein vierter Bruder der genannten Yung’s, nämlich Jacob J. Yung, sowie Daniel Sommers, Christian Lemm, und die Gebrüder Becker, (Friedrich, Johann u. Adam). Während der nächsten 10 Jahre erhielt diese Ansiedlung noch verschiedene Male Zuwachs, meist aus Schoharie und Albany County. So u. a. Robert Weller, Peter Schell, Joh. Walter, Richard Hiller, Jacob Kocher, Friedrich Saddelmeier [sic], Heinrich Diefendorf, David Schafer, Lambert Schwackhammer, Johann Faller und die Gebrüder Wise (Adam, David und Daniel), Söhne eines anderen deutschen lutherischen Pastors in Schoharie. Die meisten dieser Ansiedler waren verheirathet und brachten ihre Familien mit. Kocher kam von Rhinebeck, Saddlemeier [sic] und Schell aus Albany County, Diefendorf aus dem Mohawk Thal, während Faller aus Baden eigenwandert war. Schon um 1820 war diese deutsche Kolonie in clay so gross geworden, dass man sie im ganzen County als "Dutch Settlement" bezeichnete. In 1824 kam ein junger Pastor, Jacob Senderling, direkt von Hartwick Seminary, wo er soeben ordinirt worden war, nach Clay und hielt Versammlungen in einem Schulhause, in der Nähe der späteren Kirche. Später wurde er darin unterstütz von dem bereits genannten Lambert Schwackhammer, welcher schliesslich auch auf dem Hartwick Seminar theologische Studien betrieb und ordinirt wurde. In den Jahren 1831-1832 wurde eine Kirche erbaut, welche noch heute wohl erhalten ist und wovon wir ein Bild an anderer Stelle bringen. Dies war die erste deutsche Kirche im County, in dem Sinne, dass die Gemeinde von Deutschen gegründet wurde. Pastor Senderling ging im Jahre 1832 nach einem anderen Feld, und Pastor Wilhelm Uthmann wurde zum Prediger berufen. Weil auch englische Ansiedler zu der Kirche gehörten, wurden die Gottesdienste meist in englischer Sprache gehalten, doch bedienten sich die Prediger in gewissen Fällen auch er deutschen Sprache, wenn es so gewünscht wurde. Am 9. November 1833 wurde die Gemeinde inkorporirt unter dem Namen "Immanuel’s Church of the Town of Clay." Die ersten Trustees waren Johann Walter, Johann Becker und Heinrich Becker jr. Die Vorsteher: Joseph Yung, Jacob I. Young und Robert Amsley. Die Aeltesten: Richard Hiller und David Schäfer. Robert Hiller war Schatzmeister. Seit 3 Jahren wird diese Gemeinde von den englischen Methodisten bedient. Pastor Uthmann, oder (wie er genannt wurde) Ottmann, war kaum 21 Jahre alt, als er nach Clay kam, und starb dort 1870, etwa 59 Jahre alt. Von den Nachkommen der alten Ansiedler seien noch folgende erwähnt: David Young; John Young (Sohn von Jacob I.), welcher am 22. Dezember 1816 geboren wurde und noch am Leben ist. Dessen Schwester, Elisabeth Anthony, lebt auch noch und ist jetzt 78 Jahre alt. Im Kriege mit England, 1812, fochten die Gebrüder Young nebst einer Anzahl anderer Deutschen aus Clay.

In Fairmount wohnten in der ersten Hälfte der 50’er Jahre nur 2 deutsche Familien, ein gewisser Feil, der schon in den 40er Jahren kam, und dann Stephan Linder, ein Badenser, der es zu grossem Wohlstand und Ansehen brachte.

Im Town Salina liessen sich die frühesten Ansiedler meist in und um Liverpool nieder. Hier begegnet man noch heute den alten Familiennamen der Seibert, Orth, Fischer, Risler, Dietz, Hess, u.s.w.

Die erste deutsche Kirche in Liverpool war die der Evangelischen Gemeinschaft, welche am 27. Februar 1849 inkorporirt wurde. Schon in den Jahren 1842 bis 1848 waren Missionare dorthin gekommen. Der erste derselben war Pastor J. Riegel von der Salemskirche in Syracuse; ihm folgten die Pastoren Mise und Jacoby. Unter dem letzteren wurde die Gemeinde organisirt und eine Kirche gebaut. Die ersten Trustees waren: Heinrich Willwerth, Leonhard Traister und Christian Wörner. In 1858 erhielt die Gemeinde ihren eigenen Prediger, Pastor A. Alles, und auf diesen folgten C. A. Thomas, Dereisch, Lohmeier, Wieremann. Unter dessen Thätigkeit wurde die Kirche verlegt und eine Predigerwohnung gebaut. Andere Prediger waren: Pfitzinger, Jacoby, Schaaf, A. Lüscher, Wayer, Klein, Lüscher, Boller, A. Holzwarth, G. Gelser und D. Horn. Unter dessen Leitung wurde das alte Eigenthum verkauft und die gegenwärtige Kirche mit Predigerwohnung gebaut.

Hierauf dienten noch die folgenden Prediger: D. Miller, H. Houst, Glassow, F. Holzwarth, C. A. Stube, O. Ochsner und der gegenwärtige Prediger J. Rothen.

Die nächste deutsche Kirche war die Evangelisch-Lutherishe [sic] St. Paulskirche, welche am 31. Januar 1854 inkorporirt wurde. Die ersten Trustees waren Johann Seibert, Peter Schmidt, Philipp Scherer, Johann Bahn und Johann Adam Brandt. Der gegenwärtige Prediger ist Pastor Schäffer.

Die Deutsche Evanglische Kirche von Liverpool wurde am 24. Februar 1857 inkorporirt. Die ersten Trustees waren Jakob Bartes, Joh. Seibert, Georg Schwarz, Valentin Schallus, Heinrich Balzhäuser. Die Gemeinde bestand aus Gliedern, welche infolge einer Spaltung aus der St. Paul’s Kirche ausgetreten waren und Pastor Gottlob Fix von Syracuse bediente sie. Nach kurzer Zeit wurde eine Vereinigung mit der Mutter-Gemeinde erzielt und die Gemeinde ging ein. Liverpool zählt heute etwa 1400 Einwohner und ungefähr die Hälfte davon ist deutsch.

Die neueste Ortschaft im County ist Solvay, welche infolge der grossartigen Fabrikanlagen daselbst vor ungefähr 12 Jahren entstanden ist und eine gross Anzahl von Deutschen enthält.

Mit Bezug auf den geschichtlichen Theil von Syracuse bringen wir noch folgende Ergänzungen und Berichtigungen:

Auf Seite 92 wird gesagt, dass Christian Usenbents das erste deutsche Kind war, welches hier geboren wurde. Er war allerdings der erste deutsche Knabe, doch muss seine Schwester, Sophie Usenbents, welche am 13. Okt. 1806 geboren und am 12. April 1890 (unverheirathet) starb, als das erste deutsche hier geborene Kind gelten. Wir bringen die Bilder der beiden an anderer Stelle, wobei zu bemerken, dass der Name unter dem Bilde "Christian", und nicht Philipp Usenbents heissen soll.

Hinsichtlich Mang’s haben wir noch folgende Einzelheiten in Erfahrung gebracht. Nach Ausbruch der französischen Revolution (1789) machte er aus seinen republikanischen Gesinnungen kein Geheimniss. Er liess sich ein Petschaft (Seal) machen, welches einen Mann darstellte, der mit dem Fusse auf eine Fürstenkrone trat. Dieses Petschaft war mit Edelsteinen besetzt und äusserst kostbar. Die Regierung wollte ihn einstecken lassen, und als er entfloh, wurde ein Preis auf seinen Kopf gesetzt. Er war sehr begütert und trotzdem er einen grossen Theil seines Vermögenseinbüsste, gelang es seiner Frau doch, noch einen grossen Theil desselben zu retten und nach Amerika zu bringen. Als er mit seiner Tochter Eva nach Baltimore kam, besuchte er mit derselben die Schule und sass mit ihr auf der gleichen Bank, um Englisch zu lernen. Er bemeisterte 8 Sprachen. In Baltimore hielt er eine Gastwirthschaft, welche er mit seiner Tochter gemeinsam leitete. In seinem Garten an Freestrasse errichtete er später ein Sommerhaus, in welchem er bei heissem Wetter schlief. Unter seinem Bett stand ein Halbbuschel-Mass voll Goldstücke und neben sich hielt er stets eine geladene Flinte, um sich und seinen Schatz gegen etwaige Räuber zu vertheidigen. Er hatte eine grosse Abneigung gegen Kinder, und wenn er mit seiner wohlbeleibten Gestalt einhergewatschelt kam, mit seinem Knotenstock in der Hand, entflohen die spielenden Kinder, wenn sie ihn nur von weitem erblickten. Auch war er ein hartnäckiger Atheist. Die Pastoren des Ortes machten grosse Anstrengungen, ihn von dem Irrthum seiner Wege zu überzeugen. Nachdem er wieder einmal einen Disput mit einem Pastor gehabt hatte, schickte er diesem am folgenden Tage eine Rinderzunge, in Papier eingewickelt und mit der Aufschrift: "This is the tongue that never lies!" (Dies ist die Zunge, die niemals lügt!"). Es wird behauptet, er sei der erste gewesen, welcher die "Liebesäpfel" (Tomatoes) hier einführte, welche von seinen Nachbarn als giftig angesehen wurden. Er war ein grosser Liebhaber von Uhren und besass mehrere kostbare und merkwürdige Exemplare, namentlich eine Repetiruhr, die er sich von Deutschland kommen liess, und viel bewundert wurde.

Betreffs der deutschen Feuerwehr-Compagnien, besteht grosse Unsicherheit hinsichtlich ihrer Gründung. Oberst Grumbach empfiehlt uns folgende Berichtigungen. Ehe Syracuse Stadt wurde, hatten das Dorf Salina und das Dorf Syracuse je 2 Compagnien. No. 1 von Salina war die älteste. In 1848 (nachdem Syracuse Stadt geworden war) fand hier eine Feuerwehr-Parade statt, wozu u. a. auch eine Compagnie von Utica gekommen war. Die 2 Compagnien von Salina marschirten voran, dann folgten die beiden Syracuser und darauf die von Utica. Als die Parade die Nord-Salinastrasse herauf kam bis zur Locstrasse, schwenkten die 2 Salina-Compagnien nach der Lockstrasse ab, während die andern die Nordsalinastrasse weiterzogen. Nun entstand eine grossartige Keilerei, wobei die Syracuser den Kürzeren zogen. Die Stadtverwaltung nahm nun eine Reorganisation vor, und im Winter 1848 oder 1849 wurde die deutsche Compagnie No. 3 (an Stelle der aufgelösten No. 1.) gebildet. Ihr Spritzenhaus stand dort, wo heute das White Memorial-Gebäude steht, Ecke Washingtonstrasse und Bank-Alley. Diese Compagnie bestand während der 50er Jahre und löste sich dann auf. Bald darauf wurde die zweite deutsche Compagnie gebildet (Empire No. 4) mit Johann Graff als Hauptmann. Ihr Spritzenhaus stand an Willowstrasse hinter der alten County Clerk’s Office, bis dasselbe niedergerissen wurde, und ward nach Lock- und Canal-Strasse verlegt, wo heute die Werkstätte des Wasser-Departements sich befindet. Von dort wurde es nach Division-Strasse verlegt, genau da, wo jetzt das No. 2 Spritzenhaus ist.

Auf Seite 219 sollte es heisen, dass Herr Pastor Merschroth von der St. Pauls-Kirche berufen wurde, nicht ordinirt. [page 249]




English translation:

Addendum


Through further investigation we discovered still more historical information of great interest for inclusion in the history of the Germans in the county. As already well noted, there were German settlers in almost every town in the county, but especially so, however, in Manlius, Otisco, Salina, and Cicero. In these towns one still encounters today numerous names whose bearers descend from the early German settlers.

In Marcellus in 1801 lived a Johann Meyer, who ran as a candidate for state senator.

In Manlius we meet in 1803 a certain Wilhelm Rheinlaender and Peter B. Messinger who figured (1807) as one of the founders of the local Congregationalist congregation.

Otisco received a large number of German settlers in the 1850’s and 1860’s and according to conservative estimates still has today about 150 Germans living there, nearly all of whom are wealthy farmers. Among them the recognized leader was Georg Edinger whose influence was widespread and who was Loan Commissioner at the end of the 1880’s until he died in the early 1890’s. In addition the following from Otisco are mentioned: Peter Riehlmann Sr., Peter Riehlmann Jr., Jacob Schäfer, Jr., L. Hoffmann, Peter and Carl Edinger, Tobias Eibert, and Carl Waldburger.

In Clay around the year 1810 a number of young Germans established themselves who had migrated here from Schoharie County. Their parents had almost all come from Germany and settled in Schoharie County. In 1810 Johann Sommers, whose father was a German Lutheran minister in Schoharie, and the three Yung brothers (Peter, Christian, and Johann) came to Clay. They took possession of a large undeveloped spread of land and soon cultivated it to prosperity. Around 1812 fresh recruits from Schoharie arrived, among them a fourth brother of the aforementioned Yungs named Jacob J. Yung, as well as Daniel Sommers, Christian Lemm, and the Becker brothers (Friedrich, Johann, and Adam). During the next ten years this settlement received still more waves of newcomers, usually from Schoharie and Albany counties. Among them were Robert Weller, Peter Schell, Joh. Walter, Richard Hiller, Jacob Kocher, Friedrich Saddelmeier [sic], Heinrich Diefendorf, David Schafer, Lambert Schwackhammer, Johann Faller, and the Wise brothers (Adam, David, and Daniel), sons of another German Lutheran pastor in Schoharie. Most of these settlers were married and brought their families along. Kocher came from Rhinebeck, Saddlemeier [sic] and Schell from Albany County, Diefendorf from the Mohawk territory, while Faller had emigrated from Baden. Already by 1820 the German colony around Clay had grown so large that it was known throughout the county as the "Dutch Settlement." In 1824 a young pastor, Jacob Senderling, came to Clay directly from Hartwick Seminary, where he had just been ordained, and held meetings in a schoolhouse in the location near where the church was later built. Later it received the support of the aforementioned Lambert Schwackhammer, who also went to Hartwick Seminary to study theology and was ordained.[?] In the years 1831-1832 a church was built which is still today probably in use and of which we publish a picture in another section. This was the first German church in the county, in the sense that the congregation was founded by Germans. Pastor Senderling went in the year 1832 to another field, and Pastor Wilhelm Uthmann was appointed minister. Because English settlers also attended the church, the religious services were mostly held in the English language, but the minister could also in good conscience resort to the German language if so desired. On 9 November 1833 the congregation incorporated under the name of "Immanuel’s Church of the Town of Clay." The first Trustees were Johann Walter, Johann Becker, and Heinrich Becker, Jr. The Directors: Joseph Yung, Jakob I. Young, and Robert Amsley. The Elders: Richard Hiller and David Schäfer. Robert Hiller was Treasurer. For the past three years this congregation has been served by the English Methodists. Pastor Uthmann (or, as he became known, Ottmann), was just 21 years old when he first came to Clay, and died there in 1870 at the age of about 59 years. Among the descendants of the old settlers the following are mentioned: David Young; John Young (son of Jacob I.), who was born on 22 December 1816 and is still alive. His sister, Elisabeth Anthony, is also living and is now 78 years old. The Young brothers fought in the war with England of 1812, along with a number of other Germans from Clay.

In Fairmount in the first half of the 1850’s there lived only two German families, a certain Feil, who had already arrived by the 1840’s, and then Stephan Linder, a native of Baden, who brought great wealth and reputation.

In the town of Salina the earliest settlers mostly situated themselves in and around Liverpool. Here one encounters even today the surnames of Seibert, Orth, Fischer, Risler, Dietz, Hess, and so forth.

The first German church in Liverpool was that of the Evangelischen Gemeinschaft [Protestant congregation] which was incorporated on 27 February 1849. Already in the years 1842 to 1848 missionaries had come there. The first of these was Pastor J. Riegel of Salem’s Church in Syracuse; following him were Pastors Mise and Jacoby. Under the latter the congregation was organized and a church was built. The first Trustees were: Heinrich Willwerth, Leonhard Traister, and Christian Wörner. In 1858 the congregation received its own minister, Pastor A. Alles, and after him followed C. A. Thomas, Dereisch, Lohmeier, [and] Wieremann, under whose tenure the church was moved and a parsonage was constructed. Other ministers were: Pfitzinger, Jacoby, Schaaf, A. Lüscher, Wayer, Klein, Lüscher, Boller, A. Holzwarth, G. Gelser, and D. Horn. Under the latter the old property was sold and the present church and parsonage were built.

Thereafter the following ministers served: D. Miller, H. Houst, Glassow, F. Holzwarth, C. A. Stube, O. Ochsner, and the current pastor, J. Rothen.

The next German church was the Protestant Lutheran St. Paul’s Church, which was incorporated on 31 January 1854. The first Trustees were Johann Seibert, Peter Schmidt, Philipp Scherer, Johann Bahn, and Johann Adam Brandt. The current minister is Pastor Schäffer.

The German Protestant Church of Liverpool was incorporated on 24 February 1857. The first Trustees were Jakob Bartes, Joh. Seibert, Georg Schwarz, Valentin Schallus, and Heinrich Balzhäuser. The congregation was formed by members leaving after a split at St. Paul’s Church, and was served by Pastor Gottlob Fix of Syracuse. After a short while a union with the mother-congregation was obtained and the congregation went on. Liverpool numbers about 1,400 inhabitants and approximately half of them today are German.

The newest village in the county is Solvay, which emerged over the past 12 years or so as a result of the great manufacturing plants there, and contains a large number of Germans.

With regard to the historical story of Syracuse we offer the following addenda and corrections:

On page 92 it is written that Christian Usenbents was the first German child born here. To be sure he was the first German lad, but his sister, Sophie Usenbents, who was born on 13 October 1806 and died (unmarried) on 12 April 1890, must be accounted as the first German child born here. We offer the pictures of both in another section, with the note that the name under the photo should be "Christian" and not Philipp Usenbents.

With respect to Mang’s we offer the following details. After the outbreak of the French Revolution (1789) he made no secret of his republican convictions. He had made for himself a seal featuring a man stepping with his foot on a sovereign crown. This seal was encrusted with jewels and was extremely precious. The government wanted to put him away and when he escaped, put a price on his head. He was very wealthy and lost a large portion of his fortune, yet succeeded in bringing his wife and a share of his wealth to America. When he came with his daughter Eva to Baltimore, he attended the same school and sat on the same bench[?] with her in order to learn English. He mastered eight languages. In Baltimore he opened an inn which he jointly ran with his daughter. In his garden on Free Street he later erected a summer house [gazebo?] where he slept in hot weather. Under his bed a half-bushel measure of gold pieces stood, always beside a loaded gun to defend himself and his treasure against any robbers. He had a huge dislike of children and whenever his portly shape came walking with his knotted cane in his hand, playing children would escape only if they had seen him coming from afar. He was also a persistent atheist. Pastors of the area made great exertions to convince him of the errors of his ways. After he had once again had a dispute with a minister he sent him the following day a cow’s tongue wrapped up in paper with the inscription: "This is the tongue that never lies!" It is said that he was the first to introduce "love apples" (tomatoes) here which were looked upon by his neighbors as poisonous. He was a great lover of clocks and owned several precious and strange examples, in particular a Repetiruhr [Repeater Hour?] that he had acquired from Germany and which was much admired.

Regarding the German firefighting brigades, great uncertainty exists concerning their establishment. Colonel Grumbach recommends the following correction to us. Before Syracuse became a city, the village of Salina and the village of Syracuse each had two firefighting companies, No. 1 of Salina being the oldest. In 1848 (after Syracuse became a city) a fire brigade parade took place here which included, among others, a company from Utica. The two companies of Salina marched in front, then the two Syracuse companies, followed by the one from Utica. When the parade came up North Salina Street to near Lock Street, the two Salina companies turned off into Lock Street while the others continued up North Salina Street. Now a great Keilerei [rivalry?] emerged in which the Syracusans had the shortest pull [? i.e., they won something?]. The city administration reorganized and in the winter of 1848 or 1849 the German company No. 3 (in place of the dissolved Company No. 1) was formed. Their pump house stood where today the White Memorial Building is located, at the corner of Washington Street and Bank Alley. This company existed during the 1850’s and then dissolved. Soon afterwards the second German company was formed (Empire No. 4) with Johann Graff as captain. Its pumphouse stood in Willow Street behind the old County Clerk’s Office, until it was torn down and was then moved to Lock and Canal Street where today the workshops of the Water Department are located. From there it was shifted to Division Street exactly where now the No. 2 firehouse is.

On page 219 it should read that Rev. Pastor Merschroth of St. Paul’s Church was appointed, not ordained. [page 249]


Copyright 2003 Michelle Stone. Warning! No guarantees apply concerning the accuracy of this German-to-English translation! It is merely a rudimentary and non-professional attempt provided as a public service by M. Stone using a dictionary and automatic online translation services, Alta Vista's Babel Fish and
http://www.freetranslation.com/. Those who can offer improvements and corrections, please email me Re: Deutschen Nachtrag. Thanks!


« Previous Section . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Next Section »

BACK to Geschichte Contents Page

Home