Milton, and District Directory 1908/09
Reprinted 1980 by W.J. Parrett Ltd, Sittingbourne
COPYRIGHT PARRETT & NEVES INVESTMENTS LTD. 2004.
The Sittingbourne, Milton and District Directory may not be copied or distributed by way of trade without written agreement. However, copies of all or part of the Directory may be made by libraries and others for the benefit of researchers - without further permission, provided that this copyright notice is included.
Wormshill is a parish very prettily situated in high country, about five miles south-west from Sittingbourne, and being three miles from Harrietsham. It is in the Mid-Kent Parliamentary Division, in the Eyhorne Hundred and the Lathe of Aylesford, and in the Bearsted Petty Sessional Division, the Sittingbourne County value £1,015. The population at the last census was 169. The soil is clay on chalk, somewhat stony. Much of the parish is wood land, though hops and corn are largely produced. The Governors of Christ’s Hospital, London. are the Lords of the Manor.
The Parish Church is dedicated to St. Giles, and is of flint in the Early English style. It possesses a small tower containing four bells. The building was restored in 1789, at a cost of £1,200, and much renovating work was again carried out in 1901. The tower and porch were rebuilt in 1903. The church possesses a Norman font and a pulpit of the Tudor period. There is a memorial in the Church to William Tylden, who died in 1613. There are sittings in the Church for 120 persons. The register dates from the year 1700. The living is a Rectory, of the net yearly value of £140 with thirty acres of glebe and residence. The Rectory is in the gift of Christ’s Hospital, London, and held at present by the Rev. C. A. Maginn. Wormshill is in the Diocese of Canterbury, the Archdeaconry of Maidstone, and the Rural Deanery of Sutton.
There is one charity connected with the parish -the Shornden Charity— which reverted to the parish from the Shornden family in 1892. It brings in a sum of £10 (about) annually, and is expended in cash among the deserving poor of the parish.
The Guardian of the parish is Mr. Arthur J. Bushell, Bottom Pond, and the Overseers are Messrs. George Sparks and James A. Kitchen.
Parish Church: Rector, Rev. C. A. Maginn. Services are held in the Church at 11 a.m. and 3.30 p.m. on Sundays in the winter, and 11 a.m. and 6.30 p.m. in the summer. Sunday School meets at 2.45 p.m. in the Church.
National School This School was built in 1872 to accommodate 34 children. Number on the books 27. Mistress, Miss Mary Ann Pepper; Assistant, Miss Fanny Harris.
Postal Arrangements: Sub-Post Office, Street, Wormshill (Sub-Postmaster, Benjamin Browning). Stamps and postal orders. One delivery a day. Mails received 7.50 a.m. week-days and Sundays. Box cleared for despatches 5.35 p.m. week-days and 10.45 a.m. Sundays. The nearest telegraph and money order office is at Bredgar, three miles distant.
Bedmonton is a hamlet a mile west of The Street, Wormshill.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids