Milton, and District Directory 1908/09
Reprinted 1980 by W.J. Parrett Ltd, Sittingbourne
COPYRIGHT PARRETT & NEVES INVESTMENTS LTD. 2004.
The Sittingbourne, Milton and District Directory may not be copied or distributed by way of trade without written agreement. However, copies of all or part of the Directory may be made by libraries and others for the benefit of researchers - without further permission, provided that this copyright notice is included.
Tunstall is an interesting village situated in pretty country, and being about a mile and a half south-west from Sittingbourne. It is in the North-East Kent Parliamentary division, the upper division of the Lathe of Scray, the Hundred and Union of Milton, the Sittingbourne Petty Sessional division, and the Sittingbourne County Court district. The parish is 1,200.123 acres in extent, and possesses two miles of main roads and nearly three miles of district roads. The present rateable value is £2,602 and the population in 1901 was 270, hut this is considered to have slightly increased. The soil of the parish is rich loam and the sub-soil is chalk. The chief crops are hops and wheat with some excellent cherry orchards. The parish is ancient, and is said to have formerly belonged to Oswald in the reign of Edward the Confessor. Sir Edward Hales resided in the parish, and the Rev. Edward Rowe Mores, D.D., F.S.A., was born in Tunstall in the year 1730. The rev. gentleman, afterwards Rector of the parish, wrote a history of Tunstall and its antiquities. The principal landowners in the parish are Mr. H. Lumley Webb and the trustees of the estates of the late William Elvy and Charles Twopeny.
The Parish Church is dedicated to St. John the Baptist, and is in the Early English and Perpendicular styles, and has a tower containing a striking clock and six bells. These bells were re-hung and the tower restored in 1900. The Church is rich in Stained glass windows, there being no less than twelve, some of them being excellent specimens of decorative work. In the Church, too, are a number of brasses in fine preservation and tombs and monument to members of the Hales family. Some ancient armour is also preserved, and hangs over the tomb of Sir Edward Hales, upon which there is a life-size recumbent effigy. There is also a monument to the late Rev. E. R. Mores. The registers date from the year 1538, and there are 230 sittings in the Church, of which 110 are free. The living is a Rectory, of the net yearly value of £266, with nine acres of glebe and residence, and is in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Canterbury Cathedral. It has been held since 1894 by the Rev. Henry Edmund Tilsley Cruso, M.A., of Worcester College, Oxford. The parish is in the Diocese of Canterbury, the Archdeaconry of Maidstone, and the Rural Deanery of Sittingbourne. The Rev. H.E.T. Cruso is Rural Dean.
The Guardian for the parish is Mr. Harry Greensted, and the Overseers are Messrs. Richard William Cowper and Alfred Jones.
Parish Church : Rev. H. E T. Cruso, M.A., Rector.
Churchwarden, Mr. Harry Greensted.
Organist, Miss Spice.
Clerk and Sexton. Mr. Edward Feakins.
Miss Cruso trains the choir. Services are held on Sundays at 11 a.m. and 6.30 p.m. Holy Communion 8.30 a.m. and after morning service.
Sunday School, 10 a.m. and 2.30 p.m.
National School: This mixed and infant School was built in 1846, and enlarged in 1894, and will now accommodate 65 children. There are 42 children on the books. Headmistress: Miss Helen Thomson.
Assistant: Miss Maud Hyder.
Core Court School: Gore Court is a fairly modern residence built in the Italian style, and standing in a park of over 100 acres. It was formerly the residence of the late Mr. Geo. Smeed. At the present time the premises are used as a private collegiate school, of which Mr. A. J. de Winton is principal.
Postal Arrangements: There is no Sub-Post Office at Tunstall. There are two deliveries a day at Tunstall: 6.45 a.m. and 12.15 p.m. Sundays, 6.45 a.m. Box cleared for despatches, 12.15 p.m. and 7.25 p.m. The nearest Telegraphic and Money Order Office is at Sittingbourne.