Milton, and District Directory 1908/09
Reprinted 1980 by W.J. Parrett Ltd, Sittingbourne
COPYRIGHT PARRETT & NEVES INVESTMENTS LTD. 2004.
The Sittingbourne, Milton and District Directory may not be copied or distributed by way of trade without written agreement. However, copies of all or part of the Directory may be made by libraries and others for the benefit of researchers - without further permission, provided that this copyright notice is included.
Tong is a fairly extensive parish, situated about a mile and a half southeast of Sittingbourne. In configuration it is very long and narrow, and extends from the River Swale on the north to Kingsdown on the south. It is in the North-East Kent Parliamentary Division, the upper division of the Lathe of Scray, the Union and Hundred of Milton, the Sittingbourne Petty Sessional Division, and the Sittingbourne County Court. The parish is of the following acreage : Land, 1,631; water, 4; tidal water, 30; and foreshore, 318. The rateable value is £4,990, and the population at the census of 1901 was 357. This is estimated to have increased to about 370. The parish possesses 1 mile 7 fur. of main road and 5.25 miles of district roads. The village was the site of a Saxon encampment in the time of the renowned Vikings, Hengist and Horsa (An. 455), and a large mound surrounded by a dry moat is called Tonge Castle to this day. Scuttington Manor, an ancient residence in the parish, was for over 300 years the home of the Crookes family. At present the manor is unoccupied. Mrs. J. M. Apperly is Lady of the Manor. The soil of the parish is heavy and exceedingly rich and the chief crops are hops, fruit, and corn. The principal land owners are Messrs. J. W. Crookes, F. Staines, and G. H. Dean.
The Guardian for the parish is Mr. W. F. Wood, and the Overseers are Messrs. George Thomas Hughes and W. Stewart Wood.
The Parish Church of St. Giles is in the Norman and Early English styles, with portions of Decorated and Perpendicular work. A small western thirteenth century tower contains three bells. The Church possesses a fine oak rood screen of almost unique pattern, which is of fourteenth or fifteenth century work. In the west window is some ancient stained glass. There-are several stained glass memorial windows. The walls were restored in 1893, a sum of £150 being spent on them. During the work of restoration some interesting frescoes were exposed. The register dates from the year 1580, and the Church affords sittings for 250 persons. The living is a Vicarage, in the gift of Mrs. J. M. Apperly, and is valued at £170 per annum (net), with residence and three acres of glebe. The living has been held since 1886 by the Rev. Josiah Marling Apperly, MA., of St .John’s College, Cambridge. The parish is in the Rural Deanery of Sittingbourne and Archdeaconry of Maidstone, and the Diocese of Canterbury.
There are a few small charities in existence in the parish, the principal one being the Houssen Charity, this being the yearly interest of £10/12/6 on a sum of £200 invested in four per cent. stock, and left by William Houssen in 1783. This money is devoted to educational purposes.
Parish Church: Rev. J. M. Apperly, MA., Vicar; Churchwarden and Parish Clerk,
Mr. W. F. Wood; Deputy Parish Clerk and Sexton, William Bottle. Services are held on Sundays at 11 a.m. and 3 p.m. Holy Communion, first Sunday in the month after morning service. Sunday School, held at 10 a.m. in the Parish Room.
National Schools—see Bapchild.
Postal Arrangements: There are wall boxes in the village. Nearest Sub - Post Office for stamps and postal orders, Bapchild. Nearest Telegraph and Money Order Office, Greenstreet. For other postal information see Sittingbourne.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids