Milton, and District Directory 1908/09
Reprinted 1980 by W.J. Parrett Ltd, Sittingbourne
COPYRIGHT PARRETT & NEVES INVESTMENTS LTD. 2004.
The Sittingbourne, Milton and District Directory may not be copied or distributed by way of trade without written agreement. However, copies of all or part of the Directory may be made by libraries and others for the benefit of researchers - without further permission, provided that this copyright notice is included.
Teynham is an important industrial and agricultural parish situated three miles east of Sittingbourne and four-and-a-half miles from Faversham. It possesses a station on the S.E. & C.R. and is about 43 miles from London. The parish is large, covering all the district between the London-road and the River Swale. It is in the North-East Kent Parliamentary division, the upper division of the Lathe of Scray, the Teynham Hundred, the Faversham Union, the Faversham Petty Sessional division, and the Faversham County Court district. The area of the parish is 2,472 acres together with 279 acres of fore-shore, and 115 of water and tidal water. The rateable value is £12,861, and the population at the last census (1901) was 1,839, but this number has been considerably increased since that time, a number of new houses having been built. Near the Swale are large brickworks engaged in the manufacture of the machine-made stock brick. The cement mills at Conyer are now closed. The southern part of the parish is mainly devoted to agriculture, the principal crops being corn and hops with the produce of some famous orchards. Near the Swale is a large tract of land known as the Teynham Level. This is devoted solely to the raising of sheep and cattle. At one time these marshes were not properly drained, and malaria was prevalent in the parish; so much so that Teynham became known as an unhealthy place. Since the draining of the marshes, carried out under the direction of a Commission formed for the purpose (and who have powers to levy a scot) the village has become quite healthy. The principal landowners in the parish are Messrs. R. Mercer (Rodmersham) and R. Lake (Newlands). Lieut.-Colonel Charles John Roper Tyler is Lord of the Manor.
Historically Teynham is a very ancient place, and is mentioned as having been the town in which Archbishops resided in early times. Kenulf, King of Mercia, who reigned between the years 794 and 819, gave the place to Christ Church, Canterbury, and afterwards a palace was built in the village or town as it was known then. Archbishop Baldwin (1184-91), Hubert Walter (1193-1207), Langton (1207-29), and Raynold (1313-28) in turn lived at Teynham. Archbishop Stratford in 1345 entertained King Edward III at Teynham, and King Henry III. granted the town the right to hold a market and fair. Richard Harrys, a fruiter to Henry VIII., lived at Teynham, and he planted 105 acres of land with cherries and apples that he had obtained from abroad, and thus the village is one of the earliest in which the cherry was grown in Kent.
The Parish Church, dedicated to St. Mary, is built in the form of a cross, and is of flint in the Early English and Perpendicular styles. The tower contains six bells. There are several handsome stained glass windows. There are also a number of brasses in fair condition in the Church. In 1873 the spacious chancel was restored. The registers date from the year 1538, and the sittings in the Church number 300, of which 200 are free. The living is a Vicarage of the net yearly value of £240, with residence, and is in the gift of the Archdeacon of Canterbury. It has been held since 1878 by the Rev. Edward James Corbould, M.A., of Wadham College; Oxford. The parish is in the Rural Deanery of Ospringe and the Archdeaconry and Diocese of Canterbury.
The Guardian for the parish is Mr. H. T. Bensted, and the Overseers are Messrs. W. R. Dixon and W. Atkins.
Parish Council The Parish Council meets four times a year, or as often as necessary. The Council is composed as follows—Messrs. J. F. Honeyball (chairman), W. Hunt (vice.chairman), W. Atkins, W. French, S.Read, S. E. Streetfield, W. R. Read, W. Gibbs, and A. E. Parris. The Clerk is Mr. R. S. Dunn, Of South Road, Faversham.
There are several small charities existing in the parish. Lake’s Charity brings in a sum of about £8 per annum, which is devoted to providing coal and clothing to necessitous persons. Other charities bring in about £4 per annum, which is generally distributed in kind.
The charities are managed by the following gentlemen: The Rev. E. J. Corbould, and Messrs. R. Lake, W R. Dixon, J. F. Honeyball, and W. Atkins.
Births and Deaths Registry: Mr. S. George is registrar of births and deaths for the Teynham sub-district, which comprises the parishes of Teynham, Lynsted, Norton, Newnham, Doddington, Eastling, Stalisfield, Buckland, and Luddenham. Mr. George is also collector of King’s taxes for the Teynham district.
Parish Church Rev. E. J. Corbould, M.A., Vicar; Rev. H. Newman, MA., Curate. Churchwardens, Messrs. R. Lake and W R Dixon. Services are held on Sundays at 11 a.m. and 3 p.m. Holy Communion is celebrated on the first Sunday in the month after morning service, and on the third Sunday in the month at 8 a.m. Children’s service, second Sunday in the month at 3 p.m. Sunday School, 10 a.m. and 2.30 p.m.
St. Andrew’s Church: Service is held at this Church every Sunday evening at 6.30 p.m.
Holy Communion every second and fourth Sunday in the month at 8 a.m.
Wesleyan Church This place of worship was built in 1841 and enlarged in 1860. It now holds about 500 persons. Services are held on Sundays, 10.30 and 6 o’clock. The pulpit is filled by Mr. Trew, lay agent at Greenstreet, by the resident Wesleyan Ministers in the Faversham circuit, and by local preachers. Sunday School, 9.00 am, and 2.15 p.m. The Sunday School is situated in Lynsted Lane, Lynsted. Superintendent, Mr. W. Atkins. Pleasant Sunday Afternoon Meetings Sundays, 3 p.m. Band of Hope, Thursdays, 7 p.m. Superintendent, Mr. H. Watts. Christian Endeavour Society, Monday, 7 p.m. Class Meetings are led by Mr. W. H. Read (two classes), Mrs. Milieu, and Miss Gardiner. The Church officials are Society Stewards, Messrs. E. C. Milieu and F. Court; Poor Stewards, Messrs. W. A. Lucas and S. Read; Chapel Steward, Mrs. P. Carrier.
United Methodist Church This Church is situated in Teynham Street. Services are held on Sundays at 2.30 p.m. end 6 p.m.
Salvation Army—see Lynsted.
Conyer Mission Church This iron building is opened on Sundays at 10 a.m. for the purposes of Sunday School.
Barrow Green National Schools These Schools were erected in 1849, and have been enlarged from time to time (1872, 1884, and 1905). ‘the buildings provide accommodation for about 450 children, and there are about 420 children on the books, including 120 infants. The staff is as follows
Mr. George Potts (headmaster), Mrs. Potts (headmistress, girls’ department),
Miss L. Pounds (headmistress, infants’ department), Mr. P. J. Collins, Miss C. Willson,
Mrs. Beard, Miss M. French, Miss Nest, Mr. A. Gates, Miss Ethel Burrows, Miss A. Crippen, and Miss B. Tomlin.
The Board of School Managers meets once in six weeks, and is composed as follows
Rev. E. J. Corbould (chairman and correspondent), and Messrs. R. Lake, W; B. Dixon,
W. Atkins, J. F. Honeyball, and R. M. Mercer.
National Deposit Friendly Society (Teynham district): Chairman, Mr. W.R. Dixon.
Committee Messrs. J. F. Honeyball, A. Banks, H. Buddle, H. Cage, H. Champ, P. C. French, T. Harvey, C. Hopper, W. G. Nicholls, G. Peatfield, J. S. Read, H. Smith, and A. Wilkins. District Secretary, George Rogers, Station Road, Teynham. The membership numbers about 280, and the meeting nights are held monthly.
Kent Co-operative Brick making Society This Society was formed on Nov. 2nd, 1892, with works at Frognal, Teynham. Share capital (nominal), £5,000.
Directors: Messrs. J. F. Honeyball (chairman), R. Powell, J. I. Cashman, H. Smith, and
J. French. Secretary, Mr. W. S. M. Cowper.
No profits have been made by the Society for several seasons, and no bricks were made at all during 1907.
St. John Ambulance Brigade (Greenstreet corps) : First Officer, George Peatfield;
Sergeant, F. Dalton; Corporal, S. Read; Secretary, W. Ray; Storekeeper, F. Court. There are fifteen privates. The Corps possesses a wheeled litter, which is kept at Mr. W. E. Read’s establishment. Drills and lectures as announced.
Greenstreet Rifle Club. President, Mr. J. F. Honeyball; Treasurer, Mr. S.George;
Secretary, Mr. G. Potts, School House, Barrow Green, Teynham. Indoor range, Oasthouse, Railway Station; outdoor range, Sandown Hill, Barrow Green. Practice nights, Tuesdays and Fridays, or in summer as arranged.
Tariff Reform League (Greenstreet district branch): President, Mr. R Lake; Chairman,
Mr. J. F. Honeyball; Treasurer, Mr. W. F. Wood; Secretary, Mr. A. E. Parris, Station Road, Teynham. The books of the Society show 75 members. The objects of the Society are to further the interests of the Tariff Reform Party in the Greenstreet district.
Greenstreet Associated Cricket, Cycle, Tennis, and Hockey Club President, Dr. P. D. Selby; Committee, Messrs. G. George, M. Dixon, W. Ray, P. French, M. Dalton, H. V. Wildash,
E. Millen, H. George, and J. Dunn, Miss A. George, Mrs. Wright, Mrs. Atkins, and
Mrs. Cleaver. Treasurer, Mr. W. Atkins; Captains, Mr. A. Lavars (cycle), Mr. W. S. Wood (cricket), Mrs. Selby and .Mr. W. S. Wood (hockey); Vice-Captains, Messrs. H. French and A. Wilkins (cycle), B. Dixon, and A. Parris (cricket), and B. Dixon, A. Parris, and Mrs. Parris (hockey); Secretary, Mr. C. W. Foster, Station Road, Teynham; Assistant Secretary,
Mr. E. Rossiter, Greenstreet. The headquarters of the club arc at the Dover Castle Inn, and the hockey matches and tennis are played at Newgardens. Hockey matches are arranged on Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays. Gentlemen’s, ladies’, or mixed teams can be played.
Teynham Goal-Running Club: Headquarters, Railway Inn, Lower Road, Teynham; Ground, Newgardens. This club since its formation in 1900 has each year won the champion bannerette in a competition known as the Faversham and District Goal-Running Competition, which, is open to East Kent. They have also won four silver cups and two other banners at Maidstone and other places, and are generally considered to be the finest exponents of the game in the county. President, Dr. P. D. Selby; Chairman, Mr. W. Trigg; Committee, Messrs. J. Kadwell, F. Austin, C. Sattin, J.Hopkins, H. Radley, W. Tumber,
G. Gilbert, J. Sattin, and A. Boorman; Captain, T. Pilcher; Vice-Captain, A. Boorman; Treasurer, E. Perkess. Secretary, F. Austin.
Teynham Football Club : Headquarters, Railway Inn; Ground, Newgardens. Members of the Sittingbourne and District League (second division). Secretary, Mr. W. Winterton, Teynham.
Greenstreet Gardeners’ Society—see Lynsted.
Messrs. Eastwood and Co., Ltd., Field Benefit Club—see Milton.
Fox Inn Hand-in-Hand Society: Headquarters, Fox Inn, Greenstreet, Teynham. Benefits in cases of sickness or death, with share-out in December. There are fifty members of the society. Club nights, first Monday in the month. Secretary, George Jeffrey, Frognall Lane, Teynham.
Teynham Arms Hand-in-Hand Club: Headquarters, Teynham Arms, Greenstreet, Teynham. Benefits in cases of sickness and death, with shareout in December. Membership, about 50 persons. Club nights, every fourth Monday. Secretary, Walter Wiles, Greenstreet, Lynsted.
Ship Inn Share-Out Benefit Club: Held at the Ship Inn, Quay, Conyer, Teynham. Benefits in cases of sickness and death, with share-out in December. Membership numbers forty.
Club nights, every fourth Monday. Secretary, A. Beacon, Conyer, Teynham.
Brunswick Arms Hand-in-Hand Benefit Society: Held at the Brunswick Arms, Conyer, Teynham. Benefits for sickness and death with share-out in December. Membership numbers about sixty persons. Club nights, every alternate Monday. Secretary, G. Morgan, Greenstreet, Lynsted.
Ship Inn Death Club Headquarters, Ship Inn, Quay, Conyer, Teynham. Benefits in cases of death among members, their wives, and children. Club nights, every third Wednesday. Membership, 75 persons. Secretary, E. L. Beacon, Conyer.
Greenstreet Co-operative Hand-in-Hand Benefit Society Meeting nights, every fourth Saturday. Membership, 25 persons. Secretary, G. Batchelor, Greenstreet, Teynham.
Railway Inn Hand-in-Hand Benefit Club : Held at the Railway Tavern, Lower Road, Teynham. Benefits in cases of sickness and death, with share-out in December. Membership, about fifty persons. Club nights, every fourth Monday. Secretary, H. Lawrence, Barrow Green, Teynham.
Railway Tavern Death Club: Headquarters, Railway Tavern, Lower Road, Teynham. Benefits in case of death of members, their wives, or children. Membership, about 150 persons. Secretary, P. Baker, Teynham.
Lucerne Street Benefit Society: Held at the Plough Inn, Lucerne Street, Teynham. Benefits in cases of sickness and death, - with share-out in December. Club nights, first Monday in every month. Membership, about 130 members. Secretary, J. Button, Greenstreet.
Conyer Shooting Range: This range, fitted with two movable targets, is situated on the marshes at Conyer, Teynham. Shooting can take place at ranges up to 1,000 yards. It is used for practice, class firing, and competitions by Volunteers, Yeomanry, and Army Reserve men.
Social Club: A club for men and youths is held nightly at the Anchor Coffee Tavern, Station Road, Teynham, during the winter months.
Postal Arrangements: Greenstreet Sub-Post Office, Greenstreet, Teynham
(Sub-Postmistress, Mrs. A. S. Read). Stamps, postal orders, money orders, telegraph, telegraph money orders, savings bank, and issue of inland revenue licenses. Deliveries. 7 a.m., 130 p.m., and 7 p.m. Sundays, 7 a.m. Box cleared for despatches, 10.40 am., 11.45 am., 6.45 p.m., and 8.10 p.m. Sundays, 12.15 p.m.
Lucerne Street Sub-Post-Office—see Norton.