Search billions of records on

Sittingbourne, Milton, and District Directory 1908/09
Reprinted 1980 by W.J. Parrett Ltd, Sittingbourne
ISBN 0-9507107-0-9


The Sittingbourne, Milton and District Directory may not be copied or distributed by way of trade without written agreement. However, copies of all or part of the Directory may be made by libraries and others for the benefit of researchers - without further permission, provided that this copyright notice is included.





Stockbury is a village about 5 miles south west from Sittingbourne, and 6 miles north-east from Maidstone, and also 2.5 miles from Newington Rail­way Station on the SE. & CR. The parish is in the Mid-Kent Par­liamentary Division, in the Lathes of Aylesford and Scray, and in the Hundreds of Milton and Eyhorne. It is in the Union of Hollingbourne, the Bearsted Petty Sessional Division, and the Maidstone County Court district. The area of the parish is large, being 2,951 acres; and the popu­lation in 1901 was 447 civil and 409 ecclesiastical. The population is mainly centered in the neighborhood of the high ground near the Church. The rateable value is £2,919. The soil of the parish is clay and very strong; subsoil, chalk and clay. The chief crops are corn, with a few acres of hops. Stock raising is largely carried on fine pasture land in the western portion of the parish. Sir Edward Leigh Pemberton, KGB., of 5, Warwick Square, London, is Lord of the Manor, and that gentleman and Mr. H. G. E. Locke are among the principal land owners.


The Parish Church is a flint and stone structure, built during the 13th century, the architecture being Early English with additions in the Per­pendicular styles. The edifice is dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene. There is a tower containing five bells. The Church affords 277 sittings. There are several brasses in good preservation. The registers date from the year 1653. The living is a Vicarage, of the net yearly value of £184 with residence and nine acres of glebe. It is in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Rochester Cathedral, and has been held since 1875 by the Rev. Thomas Cobb, of Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge. The parish is in the Rural Deanery of Sittingbourne, the Archdeaconry of Maidstone, and the Diocese of Canterbury.


There are several small charities in the parish. Four acres of land at Woolpits’ Ash, let at the present time for £6 yearly, is devoted solely to church expenses. Mrs. Jane Bentley, of London, bequeathed certain property in 1752 for the education of three boys and three girls of the parish. Still another charity, being the rent of lands situated at South Street (six acres) and Dean’s Bottom (two acres), and bringing in £7 annually, is distributed in kind to widows and poor persons in the parish.




The Guardian for the parish is the Rev. Thomas Cobb, and the Overseers are Messrs. John Shirley Hales and Aaron Brimelow.


Parish Council Meetings of this Council are held four times a year, or as often as is necessary. The members are as follows:—Rev. T. Cobb (chairman), and Messrs. J. S. Hales (vice-chairman), W. H. Baker, Louis Hales, John Bing. John Clark, Herbert Pepper and Joseph Cheeseman. Clerk, Mr. Cephas Seager.


Parish Church: Rev. T. Cobb, M.A., Vicar. Churchwardens, Messrs. Cephas Seager and John Shirley Hales. Organist, Mr. Aaron Brimelow.

The choir consists of thirty members. Parish Clerk, Mr. J. S. Hales. Services are held on Sunday sit 10.30 a.m. and 3 p.m. Holy Communion,

first Sunday in the month after morning service. Sunday School, 1.45 p.m. There is a band of change ringers in connection with the Parish Church. Leader, J. S. Hales.


United Methodist Chapel: This Chapel is situated at Yeldsted, near the Hartlip boundary. Service on Sunday at 2.30 p.m. The pulpit is filled generally by resident Ministers at Chatham and by local preachers. Sunday School, 10.30 a.m.


National Schools: These Schools were built in 1836, and they will accommodate about 110 children. Number on the books, 90.

Headmaster, Aaron Brimelow. Assistants, Miss. Brimelow, Miss Margaret Bing, and Miss Annie Palmer.

The School Managers meet four times a year. The Board is composed as follows: Rev. T. Cobb (chairman and correspondent), 

Messrs. H. O. E. Locke, J. S. Hales, C. Seager, and W. H. Baker.


Court “Lily of the Valley,” A.O.F., No. 4,895: This successful branch of the Ancient Order of Foresters has headquarters at the Harrow Inn

Stockbury. It possesses 70 members, and provides for sickness and death.

Chief Ranger, Cephas Seager, Sub-Chief Ranger, John Shirley Hales.

Treasurer, William Beaumont.

Secretary, Kenelm K. Edwards, School House, School Road, Borden.


Harrow Hand of Friendship Friendly Society Headquarters, Harrow Inn, Street, Stockbury. This Club provides benefits in case of sickness and death with a dinner in May of each year. Club nights, every fourth Saturday. Secretary, John Philpott.


Stockbury Burial Club : Headquarters, Harrow Inn, Street, Stockbury. Provides for the insurance of children against death. Club nights, every fourth Saturday. Secretary, John Shirley Hales.


Three Squirrels Slate Club. Headquarters, Three Squirrels Inn, Maidstone Road. This club provides benefits in cases of sickness and death with share-out in December. Club night, every alternate Saturday. Secretary, Harry Carpenter, The Street, Stockbury.


Stockbury Cricket Club Headquarters, Harrow Inn. Ground, Church Farm, Stockbury. Matches played on Saturdays. Captain, William Wraight. Secretary, Albert Clark.


Stockbury Football Club Headquarters, Harrow Inn, Stockbury. Ground, Church Street Meadows. Saturday matches. Secretary, John Brimelow, School House, Stockbury.


Carriers: Messrs. E. & E. Sage, Maidstone Bus Proprietors. Calls at Stockbury at 10.30 outward to Maidstone, and 4.30 homeward to

Sitting­bourne. Mr. Cephas Seager is a licensed carrier.


Postal Arrangements: Sub-Post Office, The Street, Stockbury (Cephas Seager, Sub-Postmaster). Stamps and postal orders. Deliveries, 8.30 am. and 5.10 p.m. (callers only) on week days, and 9 a.m. Sundays. Box cleared for despatches, 8 25 am, and 5.10 p.m. Sundays, 9.55 am. The nearest Telegraph and Money Order Office is at Newington.