Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

Sittingbourne, Milton, and District Directory 1908/09
Reprinted 1980 by W.J. Parrett Ltd, Sittingbourne
ISBN 0-9507107-0-9

 

© COPYRIGHT PARRETT & NEVES INVESTMENTS LTD. 2004.
The Sittingbourne, Milton and District Directory may not be copied or distributed by way of trade without written agreement. However, copies of all or part of the Directory may be made by libraries and others for the benefit of researchers - without further permission, provided that this copyright notice is included.

 

RODMERSHAM.

Rodmersham is a small village, and its large Green has an old English appearance. It is situated about two miles from Sittingbourne and three-quarters of a mile from the Loudon Road. The parish is in the North≠ East Kent Parliamentary Division, the upper division of the Lathe of Scray, the Milton Union and Hundred, the Sittingbourne Petty Sessional Division, and the Sittingbourne County Court district. The parish is 1,234,463 acres in extent, and there are six-and-a-half miles of district roads within its borders. The rateable value is £2,528, and the population at the last census (1901) was 385, but this number is con≠sidered to have slightly decreased. The parish is purely agricultural, the chief crops being fruit hops, and wheat. The soil is loam with chalk in some places. The sub-soil is chalk. The principal land owners include Mr. Robert Mercer, Mr. Albert Jesse Thomas, Mrs. ValIance, and Mr. R. J. Tylden.

The Parish Church is dedicated to St. Nicholas, and is in the Early English and Perpendicular .styles, with some decorated portions. There is a western tower containing six bells. In 1877 the church was thoroughly restored at a total cost of £1,300. In 1880 the fine chancel screen was taken down and after restoration was re-erected at a cost of £140. These works of restoration were carried out under the direction of the late Rev. William James Mellor, M.A., who was Vicar of the parish for nearly twenty-two years (1875-96), and in 1901 the organ was taken down and re-built in memory of that gentleman. The registers date from the year 1538, and there are 300 sittings in the Church. The living is a Vicarage, of the net yearly value of £150 with twenty acres of glebe. It is in the gift of Mr. R. Mercer, and is at present held by the Hon. and Rev. Adolphns Henry Tuthill Massey, MA. The Vicarage is a large and commodious country residence, upon which the late Rev. W. J. Mellor spent no less than £4,000 in repairs and improvements. The parish is in the Diocese of Canterbury, the Archdeaconry of Maidstone, and the Rural Deanery of Sittingbourne.

The Guardian for the parish is Mr. A. J. Thomas, and the Overseers are Messrs. Thomas Sayer and James Smith.

The Parish Council This Council meets once a quarter, or more often if necessary. The Council is composed as follows: Messrs. R. Mercer (chairman), A. J. Thomas (vice-chairman), J. Strouts, E. Hopper, J. Elvy, and W. Bourne. Mr. A. J. Thomas acts as clerk.

Parish Church The Hon. and Rev. A. H. T. Massey, MA., Vicar.

Churchwardens, Messrs. R. Mercer and A. J. Thomas.

Organist and Choir≠master, Mr. Frank Peters. Parish Clerk and Sexton, George Perkess. Ser≠vices are held on Sundays at 11 a.m. and 6.30 p.m. Holy Communion Cele≠brations of Holy Communion are held on the first Sunday in the month after morning service, and on the third Sunday at 8 a.m. Sunday School, 2.30 p.m. In connection with the Church is a capable band of bell ringers. Conductor, William Nye.

United Methodist Chapel Services are held at this small place of worship on Sundays at 2.45 p.m. and 6.30 p.m. Sunday School, 10.45 a.m. In connection with the Chapel Mr. Gulvin leads a Class, and a Christian Endeavour Society lie also carried on. In the winter time there is a weekly preaching service and Band of Hope.

National Schools These Schools were built in 1869, and enlarged in 1893 and 1906, and will now accommodate 140 children; and there are about that number on the books. Headmaster, Mr. Arthur Ward. Assistant Teachers, Miss A. Worsley, Miss A. Thomas, and Mrs. Ward (infants).

Fruiterersí Arms Hand-in-Hand Benefit Society Held at the Fruiterersí Arms) Rodmersham Green. Benefits for sickness and death with reserve fund. Meeting nights, first Saturday in the month. Secretary, Charles Else, Highsted, Murston.

Rodmersham Cricket Club Ground, Rodmersham Court. Matches played on Wednesdays and Saturdays. Captain, Mr. J. Strouts. Secretary, Mr. Arthur Ward.

Postal Arrangements Rodmersham Sub-Post Office, the Green (Miss Agnes Thomas, Sub-Postmistress). Stamps and postal orders. Deliveries, 6.45†††† a.m. and 2.35 p-in. Sundays, 6.45 am. Box cleared for despatches, 6.20†††† p.m. Sundays, 11.50 a.m. The nearest Telegraph and Money Order Offices are at Sittingbourne (Head Office) and Bapchild, each two miles distant.