Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

 

Sittingbourne, Milton, and District Directory 1908/09
Reprinted 1980 by W.J. Parrett Ltd, Sittingbourne
ISBN 0-9507107-0-9

 

© COPYRIGHT PARRETT & NEVES INVESTMENTS LTD. 2004.
The Sittingbourne, Milton and District Directory may not be copied or distributed by way of trade without written agreement. However, copies of all or part of the Directory may be made by libraries and others for the benefit of researchers - without further permission, provided that this copyright notice is included
.

 

 

 

NORTON

Norton is a pleasantly situated village on the London Road, between Teynham and Faversham. It is one mile south from Teynham station on the S.E. & C.R., three and half miles west of Faversham, and four miles from Sittingbourne. The parish is in the North East Kent Parliamentary Division, The Lathe of Scray, and the Faversham Union and Hundred, and the Faversham Petty Sessional Division and County Court district. In acreage, the parish is 902 acres, and the population at the last census (1901) was 174. The rateable value is £2009. The soil is loam with chalk and gravel sub-soil, and the chief crops are hops and fruit, with some acres of arable land for corn growing. The Trustees of the late Mr Francis James Wildmaan-Lushington are the Lords of the Manor, and Lord Bradbourne, the Hon. H. A. Millles-Lade, Mr A. F. de Laune, and Captain Howard, R.N. are among the principal landowners. Norton Court, the residence of Mr E.F. Webster, C.I.E. (and formally of the Blackwood family), is situated in the parish, and was erected in 1625vfrom plans prepared by the well known architect, Inigo Jones. Norton Court Park is 70 acres in extent and within its borders stands the parish church. Provendor House, is the residence of Mrs Borgstrom, is an ancient mansion of much interest. In the southern part of the parish, at Wren’s Hill is situated the kennels of the Tickham Hunt. These spacious buildings were erected for the Tickham Foxhounds in 1877, by the late Mr W.E. Ridgen, of Faversham.

 

The Parish Church is dedicated to St. Mary, and is in the decorated style, with a small western tower containing one bell. The edifice was completely restored in 1872, at a cost of £680. The church provides about 130 sittings. On the walls are several marble tablets (mural design) of fine workmanship. In the churchyard are several fine old yew trees. One of them is said to be one of the oldest living yew tree in England. The living is a rectory, of the net value of £250, with residence and thirty acres of glebe, in the gift of the Bishop of Worcester, and held since 1901, by the Rev. William George Heritage. The parish is in the Rural Deanery of Ospringe, the Archdeaconry and Diocese of Canterbury.

 

The Guardian for the parish of Norton, is Mr Frank Millen, and the Overseers are Messrs. Henry Gambell and William French.

 

Parish Church: Rev. William George Heritage, Vicar. Churchwarden, Captain Howard, R.N. Sexton, F. Rogers, Lucerne Street, Teynham. Services are held in the parish church at 11 a.m. and 6.15 p.m. in the summer, and 11 a.m. and 3.30 p.m. in the winter.  Holy Communion, first and third Sundays in the month. Sunday School 10 a.m. Superintendents, The Misses Webster.

 

National School: This School situated near Norton Court, provides elementary education for the children attending the districts of Buckland, Norton and Lucerne Street (Teynham). The schools were erected at the expense of Mr. Stephen Rumbold Lushington, of Norton Court, in the year 1848, and enlarged in 1901, to accommodate 110 children, number on books, 59. Headmistress, Miss Kate Hunt. Assistant Teacher, Miss Claringbold.

 

Postal Arrangements: The Sub Post Office for Norton parish, is a Lucerne Street Teynham. Sub-Postmaster: Henry Gambell. Stamps and Postal Orders. Deliveries 7.50 a.m. and 2.45 p.m. Sundays 7.50 a.m. Box cleared for despatches, 7.40 a.m. and 5.25 pm, and 7.40 .am. on Sundays. The nearest Telegraph and Money Order Office is at Greenstreet, one mile distant