Milton, and District Directory 1908/09
Reprinted 1980 by W.J. Parrett Ltd, Sittingbourne
COPYRIGHT PARRETT & NEVES INVESTMENTS LTD. 2004.
The Sittingbourne, Milton and District Directory may not be copied or distributed by way of trade without written agreement. However, copies of all or part of the Directory may be made by libraries and others for the benefit of researchers - without further permission, provided that this copyright notice is included.
Newnham in a picturesque village situated in a valley between Doddington and Eastling parishes. It has seven miles south from Sittingbourne and five miles south-west from Faversham, and four-and-a-half miles from the nearest Railway Station -Teynham. It is in the North-East Kent Parliamentary Division the Lathe of Scray, the Union and Hundred of Faversham, the Faversham Petty Sessional District, and the Faversham County Court. The area of the parish is 1,285 acres, the rateable value £1,599, and the population in 1901 was 301. The soil and sub-soil are chalk and gravel, the Newnham gravel pits being well-known in this part of the county. The principal crops are corn and hops, which are produced on the Eastling side of the parish, On the Doddington side is much park and woodland. The trustees of the estate of the late Sir John Croft, Bait, and Mr. A, F. de Laune are the Lords of the Manor and the principal land owners. St. John’s College, Cambridge, also own land in the parish.
The Parish Church, dedicated to St. Peter and Paul, is built of flint, and dates from the Norman and early English periods, with portions in the decorated style. It has a western tower with spire and containing four bells. The HuIse families were at one time the principal land owners in the district, and in the Church is a fine marble tablet to the Hulse family. The Church affords 270 sittings, and the registers date from the year 1722. The living is a Vicarage of the net yearly value of £140, with residence. It is in the gift of the Trustees of the late Sir John Croft and Mr. A. F. de Laune alternately), who are the lay Rectors. The present holder of the living is the Rev. Francis William May, M. A. The parish is in the Rural Deanery of Ospringe, the Archdeaconry of Canterbury, and the Diocese of Canterbury.
The Guardian for the parish is Mr. F. Faunce de Laune, and the Overseers are Messrs. Walter C. Forster and Ernest Hills.
Parish Council. The Parish Council meets four times a year, or as often as is necessary. The members are as follows - Messrs. W.G. Forster chairman), A. Humphrey, E. Hills, G.H. Hadlow, arid W. H. Anderson. Clerk, Mr. F. Bensted.
Parish Church Rev. Francis William May, MA., Vicar. Church wardens, Messrs. J. G. Coast and George Miller. Sidesmen, Messrs. W. A. Anderson and F Bensted. Parish Clerk, Mr. H. Hadlow. Services are held on Sundays at 11 a.m. and 6.30 p.m., and on Fridays with instruction and litany) at 11 a.m. Holy Communion, first and third Sundays during winter and second and fourth Sundays during summer, and at all festivals 8a.m. Children’s service, first Sunday in the month, 2.15 p.m. Lads’ Bible Class, Vicarage, 2.45 The Church is open all day.
Congregational Chapel This Chapel is closed at present, but will shortly be re-opened on Sunday evenings.
There are two small charities connected with the parish, from which about £4 arises annually. This money is derived from lands left by John Hulse in the year 1681, who resided in the parish, and by an unknown donor.
The children of the village attend the Doddington Council Schools for purposes of elementary education,
Carrier Harry Hughes, of Teynham. passes through the parish on his way to Faversham on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays.
For Eastling, Doddington, Newnham, and Wychling Gardeners’ Society— see Doddington.
Postal Arrangements. Newnham Sub-Post Office, Street, Newnham (James Woodgate, Sub-Postmaster). Stamps, postal orders, money orders, savings bank, and issue of inland revenue licenses. Deliveries, 7.5 a.m., and 2.30 p.m. Sundays, 7.45 a.m. Box cleared for despatches, 9.50 am, and 5.55 p.m. Sundays, 11.25 am. The nearest Telegraph Office is at Doddington, one mile distant.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids