Milton, and District Directory 1908/09
Reprinted 1980 by W.J. Parrett Ltd, Sittingbourne
COPYRIGHT PARRETT & NEVES INVESTMENTS LTD. 2004.
The Sittingbourne, Milton and District Directory may not be copied or distributed by way of trade without written agreement. However, copies of all or part of the Directory may be made by libraries and others for the benefit of researchers - without further permission, provided that this copyright notice is included.
Murston is a populous and industrial village situated three-quarters of a mile from the centre of Sittingbourne, and adjoining that town. It is in the North-East Kent Parliamentary Division, the upper division of the Lathe of Scray, the Union and Hundred of Milton, the Sittingbourne County Court district, and the Sittingbourne Petty Sessional Division. It as 1293.97 acres in extent, and possesses three miles five furlongs of district roads. In the parish also are five acres of water, 23 of tidal water, and 147 of foreshore. The population at the last census was 962, hut this is now estimated to be 1,320, no less than 70 new houses having been erected in the parish since 1901. The rateable value is now £8,867. Murston possesses several miles of frontage on Milton Creek and the Rivet Swale, and on large tracts of land near these waterways are situated the extensive brickfields and cement works of Messrs. Smeed, Dean, and Co. Several portions of the parish are detached, one of them—a narrow strip of land—extending from Chilton Farm, Sittingbourne, almost to Bottom Pond, Frinsted. Another detached portion is situated at Four Oaks in the Faversham Union. Much of the soil of the parish is brick earth, and has been “worked” for brick-making purposes. The subsoil is chalk. Mr. P. T. Herbert Wykeham is Lord of the Manor, and the principal landowners are the trustees of the estate of the late George Smeed. There is a ferry crossing the Swale from Murston to Elmley.
The Parish Church is dedicated to All Saints. It was erected in 1873-4 on a site in Church-road, Murston, at a cost of £3,000. It is built of flint and stone in the Early English and Perpendicular styles, and has a tower with two bells. The Church seats about 300 persons. The registry for baptisms dates from the year 1561, and for burials from 1562. The chancel of the old Church standing at the end of Church Road, near the Creek, still remains, and is used for services occasionally. The living is a Rectory, held at the present time by the Rev. James George Easton, M. A., of St. John’s College, Cambridge. The living, which is in the gift of St. John’s College, is of the net yearly value of £450, with 45 acres of glebe and residence. The Rectory was built in 1867, and stands in a fine timbered park of seventeen acres. The parish is in the Diocese of Canterbury, the Archdeaconry of Maidstone, and the Rural Deanery of Sittingbourne.
The Guardian for the parish is Mr. Thomas Bensted, and the Overseers are Messrs. Tom Richard Barnes and Edmund James Wood.
Parish Council Meetings of this Council are held four times a year, or as often as necessary. Members Mr. G. Andrews (chairman), Rev. J.G. Easton (vice-chairman), and Messrs. N. Andrews, E. Wood, T. R. Barnes, G. Hyland, and J. H. Pudney. Mr. N. Andrews also acts as clerk.
Parish Church Rev. J. G. Easton, MA., Rector. Churchwardens, Messrs. J. N. Clark and E. Hubbard. Sidesmen, Messrs. J. G. Allen, T. R. Barnes, J. Ganden, and E. J. Wood. Organist and choirmaster, Mr. J.H. Pudney. Clerk and Sexton, Mr. T. Whitehead. Services are held at 11 am, and 6.30 p.m. on Sundays. Celebrations of Holy Communion are held on the first and third Sundays in the month at morning service. Sunday School is held at 10 a.m. and 2.30 p.m. Superintendents, The Rector and Mr. J. H. Pudney (boys), Mr. Atterbury (girls), and Miss E. Brooks (infants). Bible Classes are held on Sunday afternoons for boys (at the church) and girls (at the Rectory), and on Tuesday evenings at the Rectory for boys. Band of Hope meetings are held frequently, due notice of which is given.
Wesleyan Mission This mission is carried on in a room in Church Road, services being held on Sunday evenings at 6.30, and on Tuesday evenings at seven o’clock. Services are conducted by the resident Ministers at Sittingbourne and by local preachers. Society and Poor Steward, Mr. F. German. Sunday School is held at 11 am, and 2 p.m. Superintendent, Mr. F. German. Class Leader, Mr. Shilling.
National Schools: These Schools, situated near the Parish Church, were built in 1868. They will accommodate 311 children in the mixed department and 191 infants. Average attendance, 343 mixed and 185 infants; total, 528. The School receives benefit from a small endowment left to the Schools of Bapchild, Tong, and Murston in 1783 by William Housin. Headmaster, Mr. James Hales Pudney. Assistants, Miss A. Pudney, Mr. P. Brimelow, Mr. A. Berry, Miss Hills, Miss Hall, Miss Busbridge, Miss Jones, and Miss E. Andrews. Infants’ department, Mrs. Pudney (headmistress), Miss Rossiter, Miss Brooks, Miss A. Andrews, and Miss A. Sharp.
Murston Fire Brigade: The headquarters, housing a manual and appliances, are situated in Church Road, Murston. Captain, G. Hyland, Red Houses, Church Road; Lieutenant, A. Barnes, New Villas, Church Road; Firemen, W. Cleaver, H. Bridges, J. Jarrett, H. Carey, A. G. Johnson, T. Nash, T. Whitehead, T. Grey, W. B. Payne, C. Fletcher, W. Bridges, F. Atkins, A. Black, T. Brenchley, J. Spice, and W. Shilling.
Elmley Ferry: This is a private ferry owned by the University of Oxford, and is the only recognized ferry between King’s Ferry Bridge and Harty Ferry, near Faversham. The ferry is open from six a.m. to ten p.m. from April 1st to Sept. 30th, and from six a.m. till eight p.m. from October 1st till April 30th. On Sunday the ferry is open from six a.m. until eight p.m., though it is closed on Sunday afternoons from 2.30 to 4.30. The fare is threepence single or return on week-days, and fourpence single or return on Sundays. There is a cattle boat, and horses, carts, and various kinds of stock are conveyed at special charges and at convenient times. Ferryman, William Henry Hallums.
Loyal United Order of Anglo-Saxons, Court “Advance” 39. This Society provides benefits in case of sickness or death. Headquarters of local branch, New Inn, Murston. Meeting nights, every alternate Monday. Chairman, W. Vandepeer; Treasurer, A. G. Curling; Secretary, W. Hubbard, 197, Shortlands Road.
Smeed, Dean, and Co.’s Field Benefit Society: See Sittingbourne.
Murston Hand-in-Hand Society: Headquarters, New Inn, Murston. Benefits for sickness and death with share-out in December. Meeting nights, First Wednesday in the month. Secretary, George Golding, Tong Road.
Brickmakers’ Arms Hand-in-Hand Club: Headquarters, Brickmakers’ Arms, Murston. Benefits for sickness and death with share-out. Meeting nights, every fourth Monday. Secretary, A. G. Brenchley.
Sittingbourne and Murston Band. This brass band consists of about thirty capable musicians. Headquarters, New Inn, Murston. Bandmaster, F. Hinkley; Sub-Bandmaster, S. Bills.
Murston Gun Club: Headquarters, Brickmakers’ Arms, Murston. Shoots take place at a meadow at Elmley Ferry at intervals during the winter season. Chairman, J. Wakellin; Captain, Stephen Head; Secretary, B. Chapell, 99, Murston Road, Sittingbourne.
Murston Bowling Club: Green and headquarters, New Inn, Murston. This Club consists of about seventy members. Secretary, E. Wood.
Murston Football Club: Headquarters, Brickmakers’ Arms, Murston. Ground, Trim Tram Meadow, Elmley Ferry Road, Murston. Matches played on Saturdays. Members of the Faversham and District League. Secretary, T. Terry, 32, Church Road, Murston.
Postal Arrangements: Sub-Post Office, Church Road, Murston (Sub-postmaster, James Henry Kift). Stamps, postal and money orders, telegraph, savings bank, inland revenue licenses Deliveries (from Sittingbourne Poet Office), at 8 a.m., 11. a.m., 4 p.m., and 7.30 p.m. Box cleared for dispatches, 5.40 a.m., 8.55 a.m., 11.25 a.m., 1.15 p.m., 3.40 p.m., 6.45 p.m., and 7.20 p.m. Sundays, 5.30 p.m. All collections at Murston connect with outgoing mails at Sittingbourne.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids