Milton, and District Directory 1908/09
Reprinted 1980 by W.J. Parrett Ltd, Sittingbourne
COPYRIGHT PARRETT & NEVES INVESTMENTS LTD. 2004.
The Sittingbourne, Milton and District Directory may not be copied or distributed by way of trade without written agreement. However, copies of all or part of the Directory may be made by libraries and others for the benefit of researchers - without further permission, provided that this copyright notice is included.
Milton is a parish and town adjoining Sittingbourne, and partly on the main road from London to Dover (the old Watling Street). It is 40 miles from London, ten miles south-east from Chatham, seven miles northwest from Faversham, and sixteen miles from Canterbury. On the eastern side of the parish it is bounded by the Creek, which takes its name from the town. The station on the SE. and C.R. at Sittingbourne is also the station for Milton. The town is in the North-East Kent Parliamentary Division, the Upper Division of the Lathe of Scray, the Sittingbourne Petty Sessional Division, and the Sittingbourne County Court. The parish gives its name to the Union and Hundred, in which it is situated.
The acreage of the parish is 2,557.462, and in addition there are six acres of water, twelve acres of tidal water, and 41 acres of foreshore. The rateable value is £26,199. The population of the parish at the last census in 1901 was 7,056, which included 15 officers and 282 inmates of the Milton Workhouse. The population of the wards was as follows: Central, 2,747; south, 2,921; north, 1,418. The present estimated population is 7,700. The growth of Milton in population is indicated by the following figures
1851 1871 1881 1891 1901 1908
2,407 3,463 4,163 5,213 7,056 7,700 (about)
Milton is one of the largest parishes in extent in the Milton Union, by far the greater part of the parish being rural. An idea of the size of the parish is given, when it is stated that it extends from the northern boundary of Gore Court Park, in the parish of Tunstall, on the South of Sittingbourne, to Coleshall Farm, and within a quarter of a mile of Iwade Parish Church, on the north. A large detached portion of the parish, which includes the farm known as Great Norwood, and situated between Bobbing and Lower Halstow, is alto in this parish. Mr. Wenman Aubrey Wykeham-Musgrave, of Thame Park, Oxon, is Lord of the Manor, and Lord Harris, the Trustees of the late Mr. W. W. Gascoyne (ob. 1897). Mr. H. L. Webb, and the Trustees of the late Miss Hinde, are the principal landowners.
Historically, Milton was a comparatively well-known town when Sittingbourne was a small village. It formed part of the Royal demesne of Edward the Confessor, and was subsequently held in dower by the Queens of England. Previously, Saxon Kings had resided in the Royal Town, and even before this time the Romans had been in occupation, as evidenced ‘by the large “find” of Roman remains, discovered between the years 1869 and 1872, in various parts of the parish near the Creek. Formerly Milton was the centre of a highly lucrative oyster fishery, and up to within fifty years ago a fleet of fishing vessels left Milton each week for the “grounds.” This industry has almost died away.
Like Sittingbourne, a large portion of the population of Milton is engaged in the brickmaking industry, and among the principal brick manufacturers of Milton are Messrs. Gransden and Sons, Messrs. William Wood, Limited, Messrs. Levers and Co., etc. Part of the “Daily Chronicle” Paper Mills are situated in Milton, and a large number of the employees reside there. Among other successful industries carried on in Milton is the rope manufactory of Messrs. Gransden and Matson, the well-known wool stapler’s business of Messrs. Gregory and Prentis, and the fellmongers business of Messrs. R. and W. Stagg. Farming and stock raising is also largely carried on.
Milton parish is in the Rural Deanery of Sittingbourne, the Archdeaconry of Maidstone, and the Diocese of Canterbury.
The Parish Church of Holy Trinity is a fine old building, situated on the northern side of the urban portion of the parish. It is dedicated to the Holy Trinity, and is built in flint and rough stone. At the western end is an unusually large tower with embattlements. The tower contains five bells, dated 1681. There are monuments in the church to the Alefe, Woollett, Cockin, Creed, Romney, Chapman, Dyne, and Finche families, and to the Rev. John Yates, who died in 1826, after being Vicar of the parish for twenty-one years. The Church, which was thoroughly restored about 20 years ago, is capable of seating 800 persons. The registers date ‘from the years 1538 (baptisms and burials), and 1622 (marriages). The living is a Vicarage of the net yearly value’ of £232. It is in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Canterbury, and has been held since the year 1900 by the Rev. Thomas Lucius Morgan, of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge. St. Paul’s Church and St. Mary’s Church, Park Road, are chapels of ease to the Parish Church.
URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL.
The Urban District of Milton Regis covers the whole of Milton parish, and for the purpose of municipal government is divided into three wards, known as the South, Central, and North Wards. The ward system was introduced into Milton in 1895, following an application to the Kent County Council.
The South Ward is the whole of that part of the Urban District of Milton Regis which lies South of the S.E. and C. Railway. This ward is represented by four members.
The Central Ward is so much of the urban district as lies north of the S.E. and C. Railway within an imaginary line drawn from the point on the west where Staplehurst Road crosses the railway, and along Staplehurst and Crown Roads to the junction with the High Street. Thence eastward to the bottom of Cook’s Lane and. southward to the Creek, and along the parish boundary until the railway is crossed. This ward is represented by five members.
The North Ward is all that part of the urban district north of the SE. and C. Railway that is not comprised within the Central Ward. This Ward is represented by three members.
The Council is composed as follows
Vice-Chairman—Frederick John Luckhurst. Retire 15th April, 1908.
Central Ward—Edward Chopping, Crown Road, Milton.
Frederick Littlewood, 35. High Street, Milton.
North Ward—George Hatry Gransden, 88, High Street, Milton.
South Ward—John Filmer, Albion House. London Road, Milton.
George Frederick Augustus Huart, 153, Park Road, Milton. Retires
15th April, 1909.
Central Ward—Alfred Reynolds, 1, High Street, Milton.
North Ward—John Bates, 85. High Street, Milton.
South Ward—Frank Down, 114. Park Road, Milton. Retire April 15th, 1910.
Central Ward—George Bowes, 43, Chalkwell Road, Milton.
Thomas Buggs, 36, Mill Street, Milton.
North Ward—Albert Ernest Wood, 5. Crown Road, Milton.
South Ward—Frederick John Luckhurst, Park Tavern, Park Road, Milton.
OFFICERS OF THE COUNCIL
Salary per annum.
Clerk : John Dixon, Junior, MA., Solicitor £150
Treasurer Henry Payne, Martin’s Bank. Sittingbourne £10
Medical Officer of Health Thomas Barrett Heggs, M.D. - (about) £72/16/0
Surveyor and Sanitary Inspector William Richmond Warlow respectively £115 & £85
Gas Engineer and Manager: John Watson £150
Collector of General District Rates, Water Rates, and Gas Rentals
Warren Wood Budds. Salary at the
rate of 4d. in the £. Last year £133/15/1
Superintendent of Waterworks: W. R. Warlow £25
Collector of Gas Works Residuals: Sidney Herbert Shilling £15
Caretaker of Town Hall: Sidney Herbert Shilling £17
Petroleum Inspector, etc.: Thomas Roberts, Chatham £4
The Offices of the Council are situated at the Town Hall, Milton, and the Clerk’s private office is at the Times Chambers, Park Road, Sittingbourne.
The meetings of the Council are held at the Board Room, Town Hall, Milton, at 6.30 p.m., on every alternate Tuesday.
Finance: (Finance, Highways, Sewage, Water, and Allotments departments) Councilors Luckhurst (chairman), Buggs, Chopping, Down, Filmer, Gransden, Littlewood, and Wood.
Gas: Councilors Filmer (chairman), Littlewood (ex officio), Bates, Bowes, Buggs, Chopping, Down, Huart, Luckhurst, and Reynolds.
Fire Brigade: The Chairman, Vice-Chairman, and Councilors Chopping, Down, Gransden, and Reynolds.
Administration of Midwives Act, 1902: Councilor: Bates and Huart and Dr. Willan.
COUNCIL REPRESENTATIVES ON OTHER AUTHORITIES:
Milton Creek Conservancy Board: The Chairman and Councilor Wood (elected for three years, from January, 1906).
Joint Hospital Board: The Chairman (ex officio), and Councilors Gransden and Luckhurst.
Medical Officer of Health Joint Committee: The Chairman and Councilors Gransden and Luckhurst.
Sittingbourne and Milton School Attendance Sub-Committee: Councillors Bowes, Down, and Huart (appointed for three years, from July, 1907).
Higher Education Sub-Committee: Councillors Wood and Filmer (appointed for three years, from July 1st, 1907).
Milton Council School Managers: Councillors Bowes and Wood (appointed for three years, from July 1st, 1906).
St. Paul’s Infant School Managers: Councillor Down (appointed for three years, from July, 1906).
St. Peter’s Roman Catholic School Managers: Councillor Littlewood (appointed for three years, from July, 1906).
Governors of Borden Grammar School: Councillor Wood.
Trustees of Stede Charity: Council!ors Bowes. Chopping, and Luckhurst.
Parochial Charities: Councillors Bowes and Chopping.
The Waterworks belonging to the Council are situated at Highsted and Stocker’s Hill, and were erected in 1904 at a cost of £14,680 (of which £6,000 was received from the Sittingbourne Urban Council). The reservoir at the top of Stocker’s Hill has a capacity of 550,000 gallons. The power for pumping is obtained from two Diesel oil engines of 20 h.p. The two pumps are each capable of raising 16,000 gallons per hour. The mains in connection with the Works are twelve miles in length.
The Council’s wharves provide four berths, of which one is used by the Council, two are let at £80 per annum, and one is at present unlet. The town wharf, which is free, provides one berth.
THE RECREATION GROUND.
The Milton Recreation Ground is situated at the rear of High Street and Crown Road, Milton, and is four acres in extent. The Council pay £25 per annum rent. Caretaker (with £10 per annum salary), Stephen Durtnall.
The Council’s allotments are situated in the South Ward between Ufton Road, and Borden School Lane. Area: two acres. Number of plots: 32. Rental: 9d. per rod. The total rentals of the allotments amount to about £l2 per annum.
THE TOWN HALL.
The Town Hall occupies a prominent position in High Street. From the front of the Hall projects a large clock, which is illuminated at night. The scale of charges are as follows: Parochial and religious meetings, 5/0.
Entertainments, exhibitions, etc.,10/0.
Outside district entertainments or meetings extending after 11 p.m., 15/0.
SEWAGE DISPOSAL WORKS.
The town of Milton is sewered and possesses sewage disposal works on the Dibden system. There are seven miles of sewers, and at the Works are eighteen bacteria beds for the treatment of the sewage. The pumping is done by two engines, one a Diesel oil engine and the other a Stockport gas engine.
The Council’s Gas Works are situated between High Street and Gas Road. The capacity of the gas holder is 100,000 feet, and the length of the mains is 7.5 miles. At the Works are four beds and retorts. There are about 550 consumers in the parish.
MILTON FIRE BRIGADE.
The parish of Milton possesses an up-to-date and well-equipped Fire Brigade, equal to most Fire Brigades in the County of Kent. There has been a Fire Brigade in Milton for many years. a well-known former Captain being the Rev. R. Payne Smith. He was followed in office by Captains W. Prentis, E. Chopping, and E. N. Craig. The headquarters of the Brigade are situated in Crown Road and the horses are kept at the George Inn, High Street. At the Fire Station is a 300-gal. Merryweather steam fire engine, which was acquired and handed over to the town in 1901. Among the other appliances are a fire escape, hose cart, and hose reel. At the Station, too, is a wheeled ambulance, hand litter, and other first aid appliances; and every man in the Brigade is qualified to render first aid to the injured. The members of the Brigade are
Captain N. H. Prentis, Wickham House and Crown Road, Milton.
Lieutenants L. S. Watson, Cobden House. Charlotte Street, Milton.
S. H. Shilling, High Street, Milton.
Engineers: James Swan and S. Lucia.
Firemen: G. Buggs, A. Castle. J. Chapman, C. Goatham, C. Redgrove, H. E. Rook,
J. Usher, and W. Sampson.
The Brigade are called by means of an alarm situated at the Town Hall. High Street, Milton, and the Firemen are summoned by telephone bells and by the discharge of rockets.
MANOR OF MILTON.
Milton is an ancient manor and was formerly a demesne held by Edward the Confessor, and later in dower by the Queens of England. From time immemorial a portreeve has been elected for the parish, but the honours and emoluments of the office have gradually slipped away. The Lord of the Manor is Mr. Wenham Aubrey Wykeham Musgrave, of Thame Park, Oxon. The Steward to the Lord of the Manor is Mr. John Dixon, solicitor, of the Times Chambers, Park Road, Sittingbourne, and the Bailiff is Mr. Horace Sparks Knowles, of High Street, Milton. On St. James’s Day (July 25th) each year, a Court Baron is held, when a portreeve is elected. The present holder of the office is Mr. Edward Cole. In October a Court Leet is held. At the Court Leet once in every three years, quit rents are paid to the Manor. The above mentioned Courts are held in the old Court Hall in High Street, Milton, which place is an object of veneration amongst the residents in the district. It is typical of the “glory that has departed” from Milton. Beneath the Hall are two old cells wherein malefactors were kept pending the gaol-clearings.
The parish of Milton possesses a fair number of charities. The Charity Trustees for Milton are the Rev. T.T.L. Morgan, Messrs. H. T. Maundrell and W. Hyder (churchwardens), and Messrs. G. Bowes and E. Chopping (representatives of the Milton Regis Urban District Council).
The various charities are as follows:
Thomas Bradbury left in 1601, certain lands and stock. Under the benefaction, in 1865, the St. Thomas’s Almshouses at the Butts, Milton, were erected for seven poor widows. In addition the income from invested stock and the rent charge on parish land at Sawyer’s Field, Milton, brings in about £18 a year, which is used in keeping in repair the almshouses, and gifts in cash and kind to poor widows.
Fulkes Taylor, in 1616, left land at Sawyer’s Field, at Milton, from which £5 arises annually. This is expended in New Year’s gifts to widows (cash and kind).
Sir William Stede, in 1649, directed his executors “to buy £10 a year in land to yearly apprentice the children of the poorest people inhabiting within the parishes of Harrietsham, Milton-by-Sittingbourne, and Tonge.” These pieces of land were all situated near Sandhurst and were known as Somerfield, Springe Ridings, Marl Pitt Ridings, and Grove Ridings. However, the money is now invested in consolidated stock in common with some other Milton charities, bringing in 2.5 per cent. The total amount now coming in is about £8/l0/0 per annum.
Thomas Knott, in 1673, left the rent charge on three houses, Nos. 11, 13 and 15, High Street, Milton (opposite the King’s Arms public house), which brings in £1/13/0. This is expended in New Year’s gifts to widows and for bread.
Thomas Kipp in 1680 left the rent charges on land called Chill Marsh, Chart Street, and a tenement at Chart Street, the proceeds of which are devoted to gifts in cash and kind (bread), to poor widows. The amount that arises is £1.
Elizabeth Morley, in 1714, left investments, which bring in £2/16/4 per annum. This is devoted to St. Paul’s School for educational purposes.
John Knott in 1718 left part of rent charges on 11, 13, 15, 17, and 19, High Street, Milton, and the annual increment which arises is £5, and is paid over to the Managers of St. Paul’s School for education purposes.
Catherine Ann Dick, in 1731, left certain land, the proceeds of which invested bring in 15/0 a year. This is used, in common with other charities, in providing bread during the winter months for poor widows.
Mary Sime, left in 1773, investments, which bring in £2/13/0 per annum, which is expended on poor widows in cash and kind.
Mildred Chapman, in 1773, similarly left property, which invested brings in 12/0 a year.
Samuel Creed, in 1789, left property, which brings in £1/17/4. Ten shillings of this sum is devoted to the caretaker of Mr. Creed a burial place and stones. The residue is devoted to cash gifts and bread for widows.
William Hopson, in 1817 left -property, which invested in stock was worth £734/15/6. From this arises about £18 a year, out of which 7/0 per annum is paid to the caretaker of William Hopson’s grave and monument at Milton Churchyard; £1/1/0 is paid to the minister who preaches a sermon on Ash Wednesday at Milton Church; and the rest goes to St. Paul’s Infant School to be used for purposes of elementary education.
Thomas Grant and others in 1819 left £300 to provide a lying-in charity. Out of this arises £7/10/0 per annum.
Eleanor Hinde in 1865 left £400 for purposes of education at St. Paul’s Infant School. Out of this charity £10 goes to that School each year.
Anne Hinde in 1885 left a similar sum for a like purpose. This also brings in £10 a year. Anne Hinde also left £306/l8/1 for the purpose of giving weekly 1/0 to a number of poor widows.
There are several smaller charities, of whom the donors are unknown. Together, they amount to the sum of 22/0, which arises on rent charges on 14. 16, and 18, King Street, the Sailor’s Home public house on the Quay, and the model lodging-house, King Street, Milton.
The Clerk to the Charity Trustees is Mr. W. Ryder, New House, Chalkwell Road, Milton.
Council Schools (boys’ department). This department of the Council Schools erected on the Butts, Milton, is housed in new premises built in 1898, by the then School authority for Milton - the Milton School Board. These Schools are up-to-date in every particular and may be termed model scholastic buildings. The Schools are built to accommodate 444 boys.
Number on the books 450.
Average attendance (approximate) 400.
Headmaster, William Mclsaac.
Assistants, Messrs. E. H. Coupland, L. G. Leeson, G. E. Cole, H. G. Stanway,
A. Thurlow, R. G. Hobbs, J. Johnson, and C. E. Gooch.
Council Schools (girls’ department). These were the original elementary Schools at the Butts, Milton, and were erected in 1848, on the site of a previous small School by the Church authorities, and remained in their hands as a mixed and infant department until the formation of the Milton School Board (at the request of the then Vicar of Milton) in 1875.
Number on the books 380.
Average attendance (approximate), 330.
Head Mistress, Miss N. Punnett.
Assistant-mistresses, Miss B. Smart, Miss P. Wallis, Miss I. Willson, Miss E. Hicks, Miss B. E. Adams, Mrs. S. E. Young, and Mrs. A. Hart.
Council Schools (infants’ department). This department adjoins the girls’ department and forms part of the old block of buildings.
Average attendance (approximate) 180.
Headmistress, Mrs. M. A. Pike.
Assistant-mistresses, Miss F. M. Sampson, Miss E. N. Pike, and Miss Elsie Chopping.
Council Schools (Ufton-road infants’ department). Built in 1869, in Ufton-road, Milton for 164 infants.
Number on the books: 175.
Average attendance: 143.
Headmistress:, Miss E. Long.
Assistant-mistresses, Miss R. E. Alexander, Miss E. V. Homewood, and Miss F. Dixon.
St. Peter’s Roman Catholic Schools. These Schools were erected to accommodate 190 children.
Number on the books 70.
Headmistress, Miss N. Lowe.
Assistant-mistresses, Miss Eva Pooke, Mrs. Emily Walsh, and Miss Skuse.
St. Paul’s Infants’ School: This School was erected in Kingsmill Road, Milton, in 1870, for 71 children.
Number on the books 75.
Average attendance 63.
This School has been condemned by the Board of Education, and will cease to be recognised as a public elementary School at the end of November, 1908.
Headmistress, Miss Hannah L. Vowles.
Assistant-mistress Miss J. Tarrant.
Managers Rev. T.T.L. Morgan (chairman) and Messers. Down, H, F. Strouts,
E. Chopping, H. T. Maundrell, and W. Hyder, correspondent.
Parish Church of Holy Trinity
Rev. T. T. Lucius Morgan, Vicar.
Curate: appointment vacant.
Churchwardens:, Messrs. H. T. Maundrell and W. Hyder.
Sidesmen, Messrs. W. Hutchens, H. F. Strouts, G Bowes, S. H. Shilling, P. Watson,
H. Palmer, W. W. Budds, and Dr. G. T. Willan.
Organist: Miss Palmer.
Parish Clerk, Mr. W. Hyder.
Deputy Parish Clerk and Sexton: W. Johncock.
Services are held on Sundays at 6.30 p.m. during the summer months.
Other services as arranged.
St. Paul’s Church, St. Paul’s Street, Milton
The Church was erected as a chapel of ease for Milton parish, and the same clergy, churchwardens, and Sidesmen officiate as mentioned above in connection with the Parish Church. Services on Sunday, 11 a.m. and 6.30 p.m. (winter months only).
Children’s service: 2.30 p.m. every other Sunday.
Evensong, Wednesdays, 7 pm.
Sunday School, 10 am, and 2.30 p.m.
Superintendent, Miss Strouts.
Holy Communion, every Sunday at 8 am., and after morning service on the first and third Sundays in the month.
St. Mary’s, Park Road, Milton
This Church was built in 1901, in the Gothic style of architecture, and is still in an unfinished state, as the south aisle and nave have yet to be completed.
Curate-in-Charge: Rev. A. St. Quintin Sproule, M.A., of Keble College, Oxford.
Residence: 59, Park Road, Sittingbourne.
Hon. Organist and Choirmaster:, Mr. George H. Wills.
Caretaker: Mrs. Long. 34, William Street, Sittingbourne.
Sunday Services Matins, 11 a.m. (except third Sunday in the month);
Children’s Service, Sundays, 3 p.m.
Litany, second and fourth Sundays after Matins.
Sunday School (Ufton Road Schools), 10 a.m.
Hoy Communion, first Sunday in the month at 8 am. and 12 (noon); third Sunday in the month at 11 a.m. (choral); and all Holy days.
Evensong Prayer, and instruction, Fridays, 8 p.m.
Holy Baptism on Sunday afternoons at 3.45, or by appointment.
St. Mary’s Communicants’ Guild, first Wednesday in the month at 8 p.m.
There is also a branch of the Mothers’ Union in connection with the Church.
The Church is licensed for marriages.
The Church is open daily for private prayer (entrance by north door).
This large and handsome Church was built during the pastorate of the late Rev. William Erratt Parrett, who was at Milton 26 years. The original Congregational Church at Milton was erected in 1793, and was one of the first Nonconformist places of worship in the district. Adjoining the present church, which contains 500 sittings, are two large schoolrooms. Pastor Rev. T. J. Delling.
Deacons Messrs. George Gransden, E. Knowles, Thomas Buggs. John Bates, W. Long, H. Jury, and T. Stubberfield.
Organist Mr. W. H. Hancox.
Services are held on Sundays at 10.45 am, and 6.30 p.m.
Sunday School, 10 am, and 2.30 p.m.
Superintendents Messrs. T. Buggs and P. Jeffrey.
Monday, Band of Hope, 6 p.m.
Monday, Prayer Meeting, 7.15 p.m.
Tuesday, Junior Christian Endeavour Society, 7 p.m.
Senior Christian Endeavour Society, 8 p.m.
Wednesday, Mothers’ Meeting, 2.30 p.m.;
Young Men’s Club, 7.30 p.m.
Thursday, Bible Study, 7.15 p.m.
Friday, Choir Practice, 8 p.m.
The Church is licensed for the solemnization of marriages.
Primitive Methodist Church, Church Street.
This Chapel is connected with the Sheerness and Sittingbourne Circuit.
Ministers Rev. W. H. Paulson, 24, Alexandra Road, Sheerness, and Rev. A. Goodacre, 180, Park Road, Milton.
Circuit Stewards Messrs. A. Reynolds, High Street, Milton, and W. Vandepeer (assistant), West Street, Sittingbourne.
Chapel Steward Mr. A. Reynolds.
Society Stewards Messrs. W. Minter and W. Sargent.
Services are held on Sundays, at 10.45 a.m. and 6.30 p.m.
Preaching Service. Wednesday, 7 p.m.
Sunday School, 10am. and 2.30 p.m.
Superintendent Mr. W. Sargent.
Christian Endeavour, Wednesday, 8 p.m.
Band of Hope, Monday, 7 p.m.
Bethel Mission Church
This Church was formed about fourteen years ago, the members of which worshipped in the Old Primitive Methodist Chapel for some time. Eventually the present iron Church was erected. This is a large building containing seating accommodation for nearly 300 persons. There are class rooms and a vestry in the rear.
The pastorate of the Church is at present vacant, and the pulpit is filled by “supply.” President, Mr. A. E. Taylor.
Committee, Messrs. W. Saxby, H. Sargent, A. Rochester, A. E. Taylor, H. Harvey, T. Dadson, E. Dean, and Knight.
Treasurer, Mr. E. Dean.
Church Secretary, Mr. H. Harvey.
Organist and Choir Leader, Miss M. Taylor.
Services on Sunday are held at 11 am, and 6.30 p.m. Sunday School, 10 a.m. and 2.30 p.m.
Superintendent, Mr.A. E. Taylor.
Preaching Service, Monday, 7 p.m.
Christian Endeavour Society, Tuesday, 8 p.m. (President, Mrs. Harvey).
Band of Hope, Thursday (Superintendent, Mr. A. E. Taylor).
Prayer Meeting, Saturday evening.
On Monday evenings a Penny Bank is held, connected with which are 250members. Treasurer, Mr. H. Harvey.
A Corps of the Salvation Army is established in Barracks at Bridge Street, Milton. The officers in charge are Captain Herriett Coyne and Lieutenant Barbara Oliver. Services are held at 7.30 am., 11 am., 3 a.m., and 6.30 p.m. Open air meetings precede all the services, except the one at 7.30 a.m. Meetings are held on Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays, at 8 p.m. , each being preceded with an outdoor service.
Baptist Mission, Flushing Street, Milton
A service in this Mission Hall every Sunday evening at 6.30. Sunday School, 2.30 p.m. Superintendents of Mission and Sunday School, Messrs. Pankhurst and Town.
SPORTS AND PASTIMES.
Milton Bowling Club
This Bowling Club is one of the oldest in the United Kingdom, possessing as it does records existing as far back as the time of Queen Elizabeth, over three hundred years ago. The Green is the property of the parish, and upon it is erected a fine pavilion fitted with a bar; and also there is a shed for the bowls, etc. Surrounded by large trees and a pretty shrubbery, the Green forms one of the most delightful spots in the neighborhood. The Green is open for play usually from April to October.
Committee Messrs. P. Watson (chairman), A. E. Wood (vice chairman), W. Boulden.
N. Paine, H. T. Maundrell, J. Dedrick, E. Croucher, W. R. Crowhurst, F. Anderson,
H. Scattergood, G. Bowes, F. Littlewood, E. C. Pearcy, G. Hartridge, and W. W. Budds. Steward, C. Goatham.
Hon. Secretary and Treasurer, Mr. George Jordan, 14, King Street, Milton.
Milton Lawn Tennis Club
This Club was formed in 1906, the tennis courts being situated in the rear of Crown Road and High Street, Milton.
Committee Mr. W. W. Budds (chairman),
Mrs. A. E. Wood, Mrs. W. W. Budds, Mrs. Maundrell, Miss Strouts, Mr. H. T. Maundrell. and Mr. J. Watson.
Hon. Secretary: Mr. S. H. Shilling, High Street, Milton.
Milton Football Club
Headquarters, Halfway House Inn, Bobbing.
Ground, Halfway House Meadow, Bobbing.
Members of the Sittingbourne and Milton Football League.
Secretary, W. Durtnall, Keycol Hill Hospital, Bobbing, Sittingbourne.
Milton and Sittingbourne Horticultural Society
This Society was established in the year 1887, and is one of the principal Horticultural Societies in the district. The annual show, held usually in the last week in August, is very large, and visited by many hundreds of people.
President, Mr. H. Greensted.
Chairman, Mr. C. Prentis.
Vice-Chairman, Mr. H. F. Strouts.
Committee, Messrs. W. R. Crowhurst, W. Champ, E. Chopping, B. Corn-ford, A. Davis,
J. Fountain, G. Jordan, H. Lampkin, G. Lurcock, T. Miles, S.Nicholls, T. Oxley,
W.E. Pankhurst, E. C. Pearcy. H. E. Phillips, W.Saunders, F. Smith, S. Thorp, F. G. Tyler, T. Underdown, and F. Wells.
Treasurer, Mr. H. Greensted.
Secretary and Collector, Mr. H. H. Scattergood.
Meeting nights, second Tuesday in every month.
FRIENDLY AND BENEFIT SOCIETIES.
Ancient Order of Foresters, Court “Good Intent,” No. 2,293
This Court is one of the oldest friendly societies in the district, a branch of the Foresters being inaugurated in the town in 1848. The membership has numbered over 700, but the present membership is 450.
Headquarters, Lion Inn, Mill Street, Milton.
Chief Ranger, L. Cordell
Sub-Chief Ranger, G. H. Jarrett
Treasurer, P. Barnes
Secretary, J. Videan, Albany Road, Sittingbourne.
Assistant-Secretary, G. E. Cory.
Courts are held on the third Wednesday in every month. There is a Juvenile Court, and of this Mr. G. E. Cory is Secretary. Members are accepted between the ages of six and seventeen years. At one time a Court of the Ancient Order of Shepherds was held in connection with the Foresters at Milton, but this Society has now become extinct.
National Deposit Friendly Society
A branch of this Society was founded in Milton in 1891, and in 1895 the membership was 80. The present membership is 433.
President, Mr. H. Prentis
Committee, Messrs. W. Danes, C. Bowes, W. Hadlow, J. Upton, A. W. Tyler, W. Clark,
E. Lacey, W. E. Houghting, G. Jeffrey, W. Parham, T. Bassant, and C. W. Feakins
Secretary, Mr. S. H. Shilling, 74, High Street Milton, at whose residence contributions are paid.
Watermen’s Benefit Society
This Society was formed in 1876, and though the membership is not confined to watermen it is mainly composed of bargemen.
Headquarters, Lion Inn, Mill Street, Milton.
Meeting nights, every fourth Saturday.
Chairman, George Datson;
Vice Chairman, J. Fentiman;
Secretary and Treasurer, George Jordan, 14, King Street, Milton
Milton and Sittingbourne Death Club
This old-established Club is the largest of its kind in the district, and is carried out on the annual share-out principle.
Headquarters, St. Paul’s School, Milton.
Contribution nights, every third Saturday.
Trustees, Messrs. E. Bishop and A. Jordan;
Assistant-Secretaries, Messrs. J. Dedrick and O. Matson;
Secretary, Mr. H. G. Bishop, 34, High Street, Sittingbourne.
Benefit and share-out clubs are held at the following public-houses, and in brackets will be found the name of the Secretary:
Three Hats Inn, High Street (C. Bowles. North Street, Milton).
Britannia Inn, High Street (Walter Hockey, Cross Lane, High Street).
Foresters’ Arms, Charlotte Street (S. G. Nixon, Charlotte Street).
Gore Court Arms, Park Road (T. Grant, Ufton Road).
Billet public-house, London Road (A. Austin, North Street).
King’s Head public-house, Chalkwell, London Road (H. Carrier, Victoria Road).
Grapes Hotel, Chalkwell Road (A. Vowles, Staplehurst Road).
Crown Inn Chalkwell Road (J. H. Stone, 1, Abermaw Terrace, London Road).
White Hart Inn, High Street (C. Wells, High Street).
The Malt Shovel public-house, High Street (C. Blaxland. St. Paul’s Street).
Cumberland Arms, Mill Street (J. F. Richardson, Queen Street).
Crown and Anchor public-house, Bridge Street (F. Stanley).
Sailors’ Home pubic-house, The Quay, Milton (S. Fryer, Vicarage Road).
Good Intent public-house, King Street, Milton (Allan Castle, Bridge Street).
The Green Dragon public-house, King Street (George Keel, 1, King Street).
King’s Arms public-house, High Street (A. Johnson, Laburnum Race).
Alexandra Hotel, Church Street (I. Goldfinch, 6, Staplehurst Road).
Ship Inn. High Street (E. Butler, Milton).
White Horse public-house, Charlotte Street (J. Sivyer, Charlotte Street).
Park Tavern, Park Road (Harry Stagg, Valenciennes Road).
Chalk Tavern, Bassett Road (C. Coleman. Bassett Road).
Kentish Hotel, Hawthorn Road (George Sands, Chalkwell Road).
Milton Sub-Post Office (Horace Sparks Knowles, Sub-Postmaster), High Street, Milton. Stamps, postal orders, money orders, telegrams, telegraph money orders, savings bank, and issue of inland revenue licenses. Box cleared for despatches, 6.20 a.m., 9.15 a.m., 10 a.m., 11.50 a.m., 1.30 p.m., 4 p.m., 7.15 p.m., and 9.5 p.m. Deliveries (from Sittingbourne Post Office), 7 a.m., 10.30am., 3.30 p.m., and 6.30 p.m.
Chalkwell Sub-Post Office (George Henry Flint, Sub-Postmaster), London Road, Milton. Stamps, postal orders, money orders, savings bank, and issue of inland revenue licenses. Box cleared for despatches, 9 a.m., 11.45 a.m.. 1.20 p.m., 3.50 p.m., 6.55 p.m., and
8.55 p.m. Deliveries are the usual town deliveries from the Sittingbourne Post Office.