Milton, and District Directory 1908/09
Reprinted 1980 by W.J. Parrett Ltd, Sittingbourne
COPYRIGHT PARRETT & NEVES INVESTMENTS LTD. 2004.
The Sittingbourne, Milton and District Directory may not be copied or distributed by way of trade without written agreement. However, copies of all or part of the Directory may be made by libraries and others for the benefit of researchers - without further permission, provided that this copyright notice is included.
Kingsdown is the smallest parish in the Milton Union. It is situated four miles south from Sittingbourne, and is 24 miles from Teynham Station, on the S.E. & C.R. It is in the North-East Kent Parliamentary Division, the Lathe of Scray, and Union and Hundred of Milton. It is in the County Court district of Sittingbourne and the Sittingbourne Petty Sessional Division. In acreage it is 703.971 in extent, and possesses 24 miles of district roads. The population in 1901 was 73, and it is estimated to be about the same at the present time. The soil is very good for agricultural purposes, and the subsoil is clay. The chief crops are hops and fruit, with a fair number of acres of cereals.
The late Baron Kingsdown (the Right Hon. Thomas Leigh Pemberton, P.C., Q.C.) took his title from this parish on August 28th, 1858. Lord Kings-down died unmarried on October 7th, 1867, and the title became extinct.
The Parish Church is dedicated to St. Catherine, and is in the Early English style. The present Church is a somewhat imposing edifice, built with Kentish rag and dressing of Bath stone. It was erected on the site of the former Parish Church in 1865 at the expense of the late Lord Kingsdown. Mr. E. W. Pugin was the architect. It has a tower containing two bells and bearing a lofty spire. There are 100 sittings in the Church, and the register dates from the year 1560. The living is a Rectory, with the yearly value of £150 with residence and eighteen acres of glebe. The living, which is in the gift of Sir Edward Leigh Pemberton, of Warwick Square, London, has been held since 1856 by the Rev. Houstoune James Hordern, M.A., of Worcester College, Oxford. Sir E. L. Pemberton is Lord of the Manor and the principal landowner in the parish. Kingsdown is in the Diocese of Canterbury, the Archdeaconry of Maidstone, and the Rural Deanery of Sittingbourne.
The Guardian for the parish is Mr. Richard Cooper, and the Overseers are Messrs. William Farmer and James Spicer.
Parish Church Rev. H. J. Hordern, M.A., Rector. Parish Clerk, William Kennard. Services are held on Sundays at 11 a.m. and 3 p.m.
There are no schools in the parish.
Kingsdown and District Sparrow and Rat club—see Lynsted.
Postal Arrangements There is no Post Office in the parish. There is one delivery a day, morning at 7 o’clock, from the Sittingbourne Post Office. Wall letter box in Kingsdown Street is cleared each day, 7.15 a.m. and 5.35 p.m., and on Sundays at 11.5 a.m. The nearest money order and telegraph office is at Greenstreet, two miles distant to the north-east.