Milton, and District Directory 1908/09
Reprinted 1980 by W.J. Parrett Ltd, Sittingbourne
COPYRIGHT PARRETT & NEVES INVESTMENTS LTD. 2003.
The Sittingbourne, Milton and District Directory may not be copied or distributed by way of trade without written agreement. However, copies of all or part of the Directory may be made by libraries and others for the benefit of researchers - without further permission, provided that this copyright notice is included.
Iwade is a small village situated about three miles north from Sittingbourne and on the main road into the Isle of Sheppy. It is in the North-East Kent Parliamentary Division, the Lathe of Scray, and the Union and Hundred of Milton. It is in the Sittingbourne Petty Sessional Division and the Sittingbourne County Court. In size, the parish is almost the largest in the Milton Union, the acreage being 3,224.442. The population at the last census was 232, bunt it is estimated to have decreased to about 215. There are two miles of main roads, and 5.25 miles of district roads in the parish. The rateable value is £2,881. Part of the parish is on high ground. but the larger portion is marsh land practically on the sea level. The soil and sub-soil are clay, and the principal crops of the arable land are roots and corn, and there are a few acres devoted to fruit and hops. Mr. P. T. H. Wykeham is Lord of the Manor.
The Parish Church, dedicated to All Saints, is situated in the centre of the residential part of the village. It is in the Perpendicular and Decorated styles, and is built of flint with some brickwork. The Church possesses a tower at the west end, with shingled roof, containing two bells. The chancel was restored in 1875, and the rest of the church in 1893. There is a brass to Symon Snellyng and his wife, which dates from the 15th century. The Church provides 120 sittings. The registers for births, marriages, and deaths dates from 1590, 1561, and 1569 respectively. The living is a Vicarage, of the net yearly value of £150, with 41.5 acres of glebe and residence. The living has been held for the last 37 years by the Rev. Morgan Thomas Pearman, M.A., of Pembroke College, Oxford. The Vicarage house is a fine modern residence, built in 1886. The living is in the gift of the Archdeacon of Canterbury. There are several small charities, yielding in all about £5 yearly, which is distributed in cash among widows and needy persons in the parish. Iwade is in the Diocese of Canterbury, the Archdeaconry of Maidstone, and the Rural Deanery of Sittingbourne.
The Guardian for Iwade is Mr. Maurice Bensted, and the Overseers are Messrs. John Hinge and Harry Triplow.
National School This School is situated in the Street, and affords accommodation for 75 children. Headmistress, Miss Chapman. Assistant Teachers, Misses Ost, Kingsnorth, and Maud Chapman.
Woolpack Inn Share-Out Club, - Headquarters, Woolpack Inn, Iwade. Provides benefits in case of sickness or death, with annual share-out in December. Club nights, first Saturday in the mouth. Secretary, F. Sampson.
United Shepherds Sharing-Out Society Headquarters, Lord Nelson Inn, King’s Ferry, Iwade. Provides benefits in case of sickness or death, with annual share-out in May. Club nights, every fourth Saturday. Stewards, J. Bray, King’s Ferry, and W. Onion.
Postal Arrangements Sub-Post Office, Street, Iwade
(Miss Martha Mantle, Sub-Postmistress). Stamps and
postal orders. Deliveries, 7.15 a.m.,4.30 p.m. Sundays, 7.15 am. Box
cleared for despatches, 7.15 am. and
4.30.p.m. Sundays. 7.15 am. Nearest Telegraph and Money Order office, Milton Sub-Post Office, High Street, Milton.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids