Milton, and District Directory 1908/09
Reprinted 1980 by W.J. Parrett Ltd, Sittingbourne
COPYRIGHT PARRETT & NEVES INVESTMENTS LTD. 2004.
The Sittingbourne, Milton and District Directory may not be copied or distributed by way of trade without written agreement. However, copies of all or part of the Directory may be made by libraries and others for the benefit of researchers - without further permission, provided that this copyright notice is included.
Hartlip is a pleasantly situated village occupying high ground southwest of the London Road, and being about five miles west of Sittingbourne and midway between the parishes of Newington and Rainham. The village is typically English, and from the northern portion the mouth of the Medway, with its several tributaries, presents a panorama embracing the whole stretch between Sheerness and Chatham. Hartlip is in the Parliamentary Division of North-East Kent, the Lathe of Scray and the Hundred and Union of Milton. It is in the Sittingbourne Petty Sessional Division and the Sittingbourne County Court. It is 1422.547 acres in extent, and possesses over 10.5 miles of district roads. The population in 1901 was 360, but since the last census this number has been increased to about 385. The rateable value is £2,810- Generally, the soil of the parish is rich loam, though in the higher parts Queendown Warren and Matt’s Hill - chalk abounds. The principal crops are fruit, with hops and corn. Fruit production is carried on under excellent conditions. The quit rents are paid to the Manor of Gore. Near Yaugher Farm have been discovered the remains of an extensive Roman villa. The remains are situated in Danes Field.
The Parish Church, which is dedicated to St. Michael, is of flint and stone in the Early English and later styles with a tower bearing traces of the Perpendicular period. The tower contains a peal of six bells and a clock. The bells were repaired (one re-cast) in 1893. The Church is sumptuously furnished, and was described by the late Archbishop Benson as “one of the most beautiful in the diocese.” In 1901-2 a magnificent rood screen, with side screens and choir stalls, costing £360, was erected in the Church at the expense of Mr. B. G. E. Locke and members of the Locke family, in memory of their father, the late Mr. F. Locke, and members of the family. In 1865 the edifice was thoroughly restored, at a cast of £1,485, and in 1885 £350 was spent in repairing the tower. The Church contains two brasses, in memory of Johauna Northampton (died, 1485) and John Osborne (died, 1577) respectively. The endowment is valued at about £90 per annum, and arises from certain land and rent charges in the parish. The Church affords 300 sittings, and the registers date from 1538. The living is a Vicarage of the net yearly value of £189, with residence and six acres of glebe, and it is in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Rochester Cathedral. The living has been held since 1904 by the Rev. John Smedley McMillan, of St. Aidan’s College, Birkenhead. Hartlip parish is in the Rural Deanery of Sittingbourne, the Archdeaconry of Maidstone, and the Diocese of Canterbury. There is one small charity in the parish, and this is distributed in cash to widows and needy persons in the parish every St. Thomas’s Day.
The Guardian for the parish is Mr. B. G. E. Locke, and the Overseers are Messrs. Henry Godden and George Lampkin.
The Parish Council meets four times a year, or as often as is necessary. The members are composed as follows:—Messrs. R. G. E. Locke (chairman), H. Godden, George Pope, and Herbert Hales. There is one vacant place on the Council. Mr. Edmund Stevers is Clerk.
National Schools These Schools, well built and up-to-date, were first founded and endowed in 1678 by Mrs. Mary Gibbon, and were re-built in 1855 by the late Sir. William Bland, one of Mrs. Gibbon’s descendants. These Schools thus form one of the oldest scholastic establishments in North-East Kent, and were being actively carried on long before similar Schools were erected in the district. The buildings have been enlarged recently. Accommodation, 120; on the books, 90. Headmaster, John Labrum. Assistant Teachers, Miss D. G. Wakeley and Miss Kitchingham (infants). School Managers, Rev. J. S. McMillan (chairman and correspondent), and Messrs. R. G. E. Locke, H. Cr. B. Faussett-Osbourne, T. E. Denson, H. Godden, and Seymour Wakeley.
Parish Church Rev. J. S. McMillan, Vicar. Churchwardens, Messrs. R.G. E. Locke and T. E. Denson. Organist and Choirmaster, Mr. John Labrum. The choir consists of six men and twelve boys. Services are held on Sundays at 11 a.m. and 6.30 p.m, and there is a children’s service at 3 p.m. on the first Sunday in the month. Holy Communion is celebrated at 8 p.m. and after the morning service alternately on Sundays. Sunday School, 10 a.m. and 2.30 p.m. Meetings of the Children’s Guild and Mothers’ Meetings are held weekly.
Cardiphonia United Methodist Church This is an ancient Nonconformist Chapel built by the late Mr. William Drawbridge, of Hartlip, in 1821. Mr. Drawbridge, impressed by the earnestness of the early Bible Christians in Hartlip, not only built, but maintained, the building until his death on December 3rd, 1842, at the age of 81. During 1907 a new schoolroom was added and the Chapel thoroughly renovated. There are 100 sittings in the Chapel. Services are held on Sundays at 10.30 a.m. and 6 p.m. Preaching service, Thursdays, 7 p.m. The pulpit is occupied by resident Ministers of the Chatham Circuit and by local preachers. Mondays, 7 p.m., Prayer Meeting. Sunday School, 2.30 p.m. ; Mr. H. Godden superintendent. Stewards, Messrs. J. Friday, W. Atkins, H. Godden, and H. Hales. The Chapel is licensed for marriages.
Rose and Crown Inn Share-Out Club - Headquarters. Rose and Crown Inn. Benefits in case of sickness and death, with share-out in May. Club night, every alternate Saturday. Secretary, George Eason.
Postal Arrangements Sub-Post Office, Street, Hartlip (Mrs. W. Hollands, Sub-Postmistress). Stamps and postal orders. Deliveries, 7.50 a.m. and 6.5 p.m. Sundays, 7.50 a.m. Box cleared for despatches, 9.50 a.m. and 6.5 p.m. Sundays, 10.35 a.m. The nearest Telegraph and Money Order Office is at Newington.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids