Milton, and District Directory 1908/09
Reprinted 1980 by W.J. Parrett Ltd, Sittingbourne
COPYRIGHT PARRETT & NEVES INVESTMENTS LTD. 2004.
The Sittingbourne, Milton and District Directory may not be copied or distributed by way of trade without written agreement. However, copies of all or part of the Directory may be made by libraries and others for the benefit of researchers - without further permission, provided that this copyright notice is included.
Frinsted is a pretty village situated five miles south from Sittingbourne and three miles from Harrietsham. It is in the Mid-Kent Parliamentary Division, Eyhorne Hundred, and Lathe of Aylesford. It is in the Bearsted Petty Sessional Division, Hollingbourne Union, and Sittingbourne County Court. The area of the parish is 1290 acres, and the rateable value is £1,119. The population in 1901 was 126 in the civil parish and 174 in the ecclesiastical parish. The soil is clay, of a stiff nature, and the subsoil is chalk with flint. Much of the acreage is park and wood land, and corn is also grown. Situated amid charming scenery the village is a well-known resort for picnic parties in the summer. Extensive shoots take place in the winter months. Nearly all the land in the parish belongs to Sir Edward Leigh Pemberton, of Warwick Square, London, who is Lord of the Manor.
The Parish Church is dedicated to St. Dunstan, and is of rough flint. It was built in the twelfth century. It is mainly Early English, though Norman work appears frequently in the structure. The tower, containing a clock with chimes and five bells, dates from the Perpendicular period. The bells and clock were placed in the tower in 1868, at the expense of the late Baron Kingsdown. Six years before this the north aisle was erected, also at the expense of Lord Kingsdown. The interior of the church is handsomely decorated and furnished. The chapel, occupied by the Pembertons, has several fine memorial windows erected to the late Lord Kingsdown, who died October 7th, 1867. The register dates from 1714, and the Church affords 240 sittings. The living is a rectory; of the net yearly value £150, with ten acres of glebe and residence. The living is in the gift of Sir Edward Leigh Pemberton, K.C.B., and is held by the Rev. Reginald du Faur Bryans. Ecclesiastically the parish is in the rural deanery of Sutton, the Archdeaconry of Maidstone, and the Diocese of Canterbury.
There is one small charity, from which £5 is derived annually, which has to be divided between the parishes of Frinsted and Milsted. The money is the income from land left by John Wiatt, of Milsted, in 1722, and is used for assisting the poor of the two parishes.
Parish Church: Rev. R. du Faur Bryans, Rector. Wilfred Pemberton, Churchwarden Organist and Choirmaster, Walter T. Gunnell. Services are held on Sundays at 11 a.m. and 6.30 p.m. Children’s Service, 3 p.m. Sunday School, 10 a.m. and 2.30 p.m. Holy Communion, 8 a.m. Sundays, and also after Matins on the 3rd Sunday in the month. In connection with the Church is a band of ringers, of which John Homewood is captain.
Elementary Schools The children of the parish attend the Milsted and Frinsted Schools at Milsted, which are situated about a mile from Frinsted Street.
Ancient Order of Foresters, “Court St. Dunstan,” No. 4,422, Frinsted branch This is a flourishing Court, consisting of some 270 members. The headquarters are at the Kingsdown Arms, and Courts are held every fourth Saturday. Officers Chief Ranger, J. Carrier; Treasurer, W. T. Denny; Secretary, W. T. Gunnell; Assistant-Secretary, A. West; Trustees, Mr. R. J. Tylden, Rev. H. J. Hordern, and Rev. R. du Faur Bryans.
Kingsdown Arms Hand-in-Hand Society: A benefit society on the share-out principle is in process of formation at the Kingsdown Arms,
Frinsted Cricket Club Ground, Cope’s Farm. Matches played Wednesdays and Saturdays. President, Rev. R. du F. Bryans; Captain, V. W. Horton; Treasurer, A. Baker; Secretary, William Godwin.
Horticultural Show This show is held annually, and attracts a large number of visitors from the surrounding district. President, Sir Edward Leigh Pemberton, Secretary, Rev. R. du F. Bryans.
Sewing Class and Carpentry Class A sewing class for women and girls of the parish is held weekly at the Rectory and a carpentry class for men and boys also is held weekly in the Rectory carpentry shop.
Carrier Samuel Wright is carrier to Sittingbourne (via Torry Hill and Blue Town), on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays.
Wrinsted Court, the residence of Mr. Wilfrid Leigh Pemberton, standing in a park of 250 acres, is 1.5 miles south-west from Frinsted Street.
Postal arrangements Sub. Post Office, The Street, Frinsted (Sub-Postmistress, Mrs. Emma Hughes). Stamps and postal orders. One delivery a day. Mails received, weekdays and Sundays, 7.50 am. Box cleared for despatches 5.35 p.m. on week-days and 10.45 on Sundays. Nearest telegraph and money order office is at Doddington, three miles eastward.