Milton, and District Directory 1908/09
Reprinted 1980 by W.J. Parrett Ltd, Sittingbourne
COPYRIGHT PARRETT & NEVES INVESTMENTS LTD. 2004.
The Sittingbourne, Milton and District Directory may not be copied or distributed by way of trade without written agreement. However, copies of all or part of the Directory may be made by libraries and others for the benefit of researchers - without further permission, provided that this copyright notice is included.
Borden is an extensive parish, the village being situated about one-and-a-half miles in a westerly direction from Sittingbourne. It is in the North Eastern Parliamentary Division; is in the Lathe of Scray, and the Union and Hundred of Milton. It is also in the Sittingbourne County Court and Petty Sessional Division. The acreage of the parish is 2145.635, and the mileage of main roads is 1.25 miles, and district roads 10.5 miles. The population in 1901 was 1,270, but is estimated to have slightly decreased since the last census. The rateable value is £6,211. The industries carried on in the parish are agricultural, the crops being principally fruit, hops, and corn. The soil is mould and peat, with chalk and gravel subsoil.
The Parish Church is dedicated to Ss. Peter and Paul, and is of flint in the Norman and Early English periods. There is a fine Norman tower with a door, which is a splendid type of the architecture of the period. In the tower is a clock and a peal of eight bells of excellent quality and perfect tone. There are several stained glass windows and stone screens. ‘There is a monument in the Church to Robert Plot, LLD, an historian of some Midland counties, who died in 1696. The registers date from the year 1555. The living is a vicarage, of the net yearly value of £193, with acres of glebe and residence. The living is in the gift of Mr. H. H. W. Sparham. Ecclesiastically the parish is in the Diocese of Canterbury, the Archdeaconry of Maidstone, and the Rural Deanery of Sittingbourne
The principal charity is the income of certain landed property left by William Barrow in 1707 to “the widows and poor men of Borden.” At the time, this amounted to about £450 per annum, which was to be divided annually amongst thirty or forty of the poor inhabitants. He also left other landed property for the same purpose, which came to the charity by reversion. The Court of Chancery in 1863 reduced the number of alms-persons to thirty, each of whom was to receive £16 yearly. Subsequently the Charity Commissioners established out of the funds, which had accumulated to the amount of £12,000, the Borden Grammar School.
The Guardian of the parish is Mr. Alfred Tidy, of Harman’s Corner; and the Overseers are Messrs. Edwin C. Flack and William T. Burley.
The Parish Council meets bi-monthly, and is composed as follows :—Messrs. A. Tidy (chairman), C. Scoones, A. Hinge, W. Burley, E. Watson, A. Arnold, H. Grensted, and D. Goodhew. Clerk, Kenelm K. Edwards, School House, Borden. One place on the Council is vacant.
The Parish Church Rev. Adolphus Etbelbert Gledhill, MA., Vicar. Churchwardens, Messrs. L. Levy and A. Tidy. Sidesmen, Messrs. Flack, Moore, Sherlock, Goodhew, Grensted, Watson, Burley, Hinge, Prentis, and Greenlees. Organist, Miss Saywell. Parish Clerk, Mr. L. Levy. Sexton, Mr. Sutton. Services are held on Sunday at 11 a.m. and 6.30 p.m., with the exception that on the first Sunday in the month the morning service is held at 10.30. Children’s Service, Sunday, 3 p.m. Holy Communion, 8 a.m. Sundays and Thursdays, and at 11.15 a.m. on the first Sunday in the month. Sunday School, 10 a.m. In connection with the Church there is a Parish Library.
Wesleyan Chapel, Key Street Services are held in this Chapel on Sundays at 10.30 a.m. and 6.30 p.m., and on Mondays at 7 p.m. The pulpit is filled by the resident Ministers at Sittingbourne and by local preachers in the district. Society Stewards, Messrs. C. Clinch and A. Gray. Poor Stewards, Messrs. F. Kemsley and G. Goodhew. Chapel Steward, Mr. J. Dawkins. Sunday School is held in the Schoolroom beneath the Chapel at 10 a.m. and 2.30 p.m. Superintendent, Mr. J. Dawkins. Band of Hope, Tuesday, 7 p.m. Young People’s Christian Endeavor, Wednesday, 7.30 p.m.
Oad Street Wesleyan Chapel Services are held here on Sundays at 2.30 p.m. and 6.30 p.m., and on Tuesdays at 7 p.m.
Key Street Primitive Methodist Chapel. A service is held here on Sundays at 2.30 p.m. The pulpit is filled by the resident Minister at Sittingbourne and by local preachers.
Borden Grammar School: This is a middle class Commercial School, being also a School for Higher Education under the Kent Education Committee. The School was erected in 1878 out of the accumulated funds of the William Barrow Charity. The building is in the Tudor-Gothic style, and the accommodation on the cubicle system is for 130 boys. There are good classrooms and carpenter’s and engineering workshops. The electric light is installed. There is also a striking clock on the south face of the building.
Headmaster: Mr. W. Murdock, MA., Oxon.
Borden National Schools: Accommodation for 250 children in mixed and infant departments. Headmaster, Mr. Kenelm K. Edwards. Assistant teachers, Miss F. Lacey, Miss A. Wisenden, Miss E. Hancox, and Miss E. Edwards (infants’ department). The School is commodious, baying been enlarged by the addition of a spacious classroom and lobby in 1906.
Borden Conservative Association : Meetings of this Association are held when necessary, and registration work is performed in the village. Chairman : Mr. Sidney Waterlow Burley.
Borden Amateur and Cottage Gardeners’ Society Monthly Shows and Meetings in connection with this Society are held on the third Wednesday in the month. Headquarters, The Maypole Inn. President, Rev. A. E. Gledbill. Secretary, C. Bishop, Sunny Hill; Assistant Secretary, R. A. Kadwell.
Borden Football Club: Ground, School Road. Captain, Rev. A. K. Gledhill. Vice-Captain, S. Edwards. Secretary, F. Tassell.
Borden Sparrow Club: The objects of this Club are to reduce pests to crops when necessary. Meetings are held on the first Tuesday in the month. Secretary, Henry Grensted.
Borden Bell Ringers’ Society: This Society is affiliated with the Kent Association of Change Ringers. Practice is held weekly in the belfry at the Parish Church. Secretary, William Tassell.
Borden Share-Out Benefit Society: For sickness and death, with annual share-out. Meetings of this Society are held at the Maypole Inn every fourth Saturday. The share-out takes place in May. Secretary, Thomas Clinch, Danaway, Maidstone Road, Newington.
Olive Branch Hand-in-Hand Benefit Society: This Society has a Club, which is held at the Olive Branch public-house every fourth Saturday. Benefits for sickness and death, & the share-out in December. Secretary, John Axcell.
Key Street is on the northern side of the parish and on the London Road, and Chestnut Street is on the western side and on the main road to Stockbury and Maidstone. Oad Street is about a mile south-west from Borden Street.
Postal Arrangements Borden Sub-Post Office, The Street, Borden (Sub-Postmaster, Charles Tassell). Stamps, postal and money orders, telegrams (by telephone to Sittingbourne), savings bank, and express delivery. Deliveries, 7 a.m., 11.30 a.m., and 7.15 p.m. Mails despatched, 7.5 and 11.45 a.m., and 1.15, 5.15, and 7.30 p.m. Sundays: Mails received, 7.5 a.m. Mails despatched, 12 mid-day.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids