Milton, and District Directory 1908/09
Reprinted 1980 by W.J. Parrett Ltd, Sittingbourne
COPYRIGHT PARRETT & NEVES INVESTMENTS LTD. 2004.
The Sittingbourne, Milton and District Directory may not be copied or distributed by way of trade without written agreement. However, copies of all or part of the Directory may be made by libraries and others for the benefit of researchers - without further permission, provided that this copyright notice is included.
Bobbing is a fairly populous parish, the centre of which is situated about three-quarters of a mile from the London to Dover main road and two miles north-west from Sittingbourne. Bobbing is in the Milton Union and Hundred; is in the upper district of the Lathe of Scray; and the North. East Kent Parliamentary Division. It is in the Sittingbourne County Court and Petty Sessional Division. The acreage of the parish is 1068.286, and the population at the last census (1901) was 555, but this is estimated to have decreased to 530 since that time. The total mileage of roads in the district is nearly six, of which three miles are district roads and 2 miles 3 furlongs main roads. The rateable value of the parish is £4,929. Key Street (northern side) and Chestnut Street (part of western side) are in this parish. The parish is agricultural, the principal crops being corn and fruit, with a few acres of hops. Roots are also largely grown, the soil, principally loam, being suitable.
The Parish Church, which stands on a hill in the centre of the village, is dedicated to St. Bartholomew. The Church is small, having about 200 sittings. The building is of flint in the Early English and Decorated styles, and probably dates from the reign of Henry LII. (about 1216). The registers date from 1560. There are several very old brasses, some of which are mutilated. In the south chancel is a large brass in fairly good preservation, beneath which lies the body of Sir Arnold de Sauvage, who resided in the parish, and who was at one time Constable of Queenborough Castle (1393). There are also marble monuments of the Tufton and Sandford families. In the west tower is a peal of six bells. Sir George Moore presented the living to the notorious Titus Oates, who was Vicar of the parish for a few years. The living is a vicarage, of the yearly net value of £70, with half an acre of glebe. The rectorial tithes are commuted to amount to £194. The living is in the gift of the Rev. Henry G. Hilton Simpson, MA., of Oxford, who is Lord of the Manor. The parish is in the Rural Deanery of Sittingbourne, Archdeaconry of Maidstone, and the Diocese of Canterbury.
The Guardian for the parish is Mr. William Francis Drake; and Messrs. William Lowe and Edward Stevens are the overseers.
The Parish Council meets quarterly, or more often when necessary, and is composed as follows :—Messrs. W. Stagg (chairman), L. H. Page, E. Cooper, A. J. Trowell, E. Stevens, and G. W. Goodhew. Mr. C. R. Skinner, of the School House, is clerk.
Bobbing Council Schools (which were formerly the National Schools of the parish) have been recently enlarged, several commodious class rooms having been added. The Education Authority is the Kent Education Committee and the Milton Rural District Council School Attendance Committee look after the attendance. Mr. Charles Robert Skinner is Headmaster.
There are two parochial charities—Gibbon’s and Woollett’s—the money from which, amounting to a few pounds yearly, has to be expended in bread for the poor of the parish
The Parish Church. Rev. J. A. Townley, BA., Vicar. Churchwardens, Messrs. W. Stagg and W. F. Drake; sidesmen, Messrs. W. Lowe, E. Stevens, and A. J. Trowell; sexton, Mr. Friday; organist, Mr. L. Bowes. Services are held on Sundays at 11 a.m. and 6.30 p.m., and Wednesday evenings at 7.30. Matins and Evensong are said daily at 8.30 a.m. and 7.30 pm. respectively. Holy Communion, 8 a.m. on Sundays and Thursdays. Sunday School is held at 10 a.m. and 2.45 p.m. In connection with the Church are Coal and Clothing Clubs, a Sunday School Teachers’ Class, and a Communicants’ Guild. The Choir consists of five men and sixteen boys. There is also a Band of Bell Ringers, of which Mr. C. Waters is captain.
Key Inn Sick Benefit Club This Club meets at the Key Inn, Key Street, the second Saturday in every month. For sickness, death, and share-out. Secretary, Charles Carter.
Halfway House Inn Share-Out Society This Club meets at the Halfway House Inn, Howt Green, King’s Ferry Road, on Saturday nights every fourth week. For sickness, death, with share-o ut in May. Secretary, J. W. Bolton, Dover Street, Sittingbourne.
Postal Arrangements Key Street (Borden) Sub-Post Office (sub-postmaster, Mr. A. Gray). Office for Bobbing, part of Iwade, Chestnut Street, part of Borden, and part of Newington. Stamps, postal and money orders, telegraph, and savings bank. Two deliveries a day—6.40- am., and 2.10 p.m. Delivery at Danaway, Newington, 5.40 p.m. Mails received 6.20 am. and 2.5 p.m. Mails despatched 6.20 am., 1.5 p.m., and 7.10 p.m.