Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   
Kelly's Directory of Devon & Cornwall 1914

Transcribed by Heather Carbis

MORVAH is a parish on the East coast of the Bristol Channel, 6 Miles north-west from Penzance, where is the nearest railway station, and 4 north by east from St. Just, in the Western division of the county, hundred of Penwith,  Petty Sessional division of Penwith West, Penzance union and county court district, rural deanery of Penwith, archdeaconry of Cornwall, and diocese of Truro.  The church of St Morvah is a building of granite, in Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave of two bays, south porch, and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing containing 3 bells : the stained east window was presented by the Rev. Michael Nowell Peters MA, a former vicar : there are several monuments : the church has 121 sittings.  The register of baptisms dates from the year 1653; marriages 1617; burial 1655.  The living is a vicarage annexed to Madron, joint net yearly value £400, in the gift of Mrs J. Tonkin and the Misses Borlase, and held since 1895 by the Rev. William Borlase Tremenheere MA. of Oriel College, Oxford, who resides at the vicarage Madron.  There is a Wesleyan Chapel here.  The Misses Borlase of Castle Horneck, Penzance, are ladies of the manor and chief landowners.  On Chūn Hill are the remains of a very ancient castle, consisting of 3 lines of wall, built of loose stones:  in the interior, which has a diameter east to west of 125 feet and from north to south of 100 feet, traces of dividing walls exist, and a well with steps leading to the water:  opposite the gateway to the castle, and at about 200 yards distance, is Chūn quoit, a cromlech, consisting of several upright stones, supporting at an elevation of about 4 feet a huge monolith nearly 13 feet long and 111/2 feet wide.  On Kerrow Hill stands a monumental pillar 6 feet high.  The soil is decomposed granite; subsoil rabmen.  The land is principally pasture, and the chief crops are wheat and barley.  The area is 1,270 acres of land _ _ of water and 14 of foreshore; rateable value, £3,908; the population in 1911 was 105.

Letters through Pendeen Cornwall, arrive at 11am.  The nearest money order and telegraph office is at Pendeen about 2 miles distant.

Wall letter box, cleared at 1:15 p.m., no collection on Sunday

Public Elementary School (mixed), formerly a Bible Christian Chapel, but altered at a cost of about £200. for 58 children; average attendance 24;  Miss I. Hitchens, mistress.

COMMERCIAL

CASLEY John, farmer,
 Trevowan
JENKIN Henry, dairyman,
 Rosemergy

ROBERTS John, dairyman,
Tregaminion
DAVY David, farmer,
Trevowan 
JENKIN James, farmer,
Croftow
THOMAS Henry, farmer,
Chypraze
DAVY William, farmer,
Trevowan
LEGGO John, shopkeeper,
Tregaminion
TREGEAR Henry, farmer,
Tregaminion
HICHENS John, dairyman,
Carne
MATTHEWS Nicholas, farmer,
Chyoon
TREMBATH Humphry, farmer,
Merthbye, Church Town

JASPER Eustace, farmer,
Rosemergy
NOY Walter, farmer,
Trevean
WARREN John, farmer,
Tregaminion
 
PAUL William, shoe ma.,
Church Town