Search billions of records on



Compiled by: Andrew L. Moore


Dated: 22 Sep 2015





Jesse Moore














John R Moore









Richard Milton Jr

Richard Milton Sr/Eliza ____




Molly Milton









Margaret Ross





Milton Moore










Ebsworth Bayne

Walter Bayne/Martha


Walter Bayne







Susannah Middleton

Thomas Middleton/Penelope Hatton


Martha Bayne









Robert Wade

Robert Wade



Meek A Wade









Mary Henry




Wm Berry Moore











Isaac Lewis Sr





Isaac Lewis Jr











Berry Lewis







Azariah Lewis




Elizabeth Lewis







Mary Ann Berry

William Berry


Elizabeth Lewis










Rev William H Hays





William Hays Jr







Mary Slack

Randolph Slack/Sarah Penn


Mary Hays









David Burcham






Eleanor Burcham









Rebecca VanVactor

Benjamin VanVactor


Claude S Moore












Jacob Sorency

Florin Sorency / Ann ________



Samuel Sorency








Jemina _________





David Sorency













Ann West












Silas Sorency













Thomas Brown










Susannah Brown



























Annie L Sorency












Henry Wilson I






Henry Wilson













Lewis Wilson








John Faulkner





Frances Faulkner








Rejoice Craig

Toliver Craig/Mary Hawkins


Martha Wilson











Richard Thomas II

Richard Thomas/Isabella Pendleton



Richard Thomas III








Frances Hawkins

Philemon Hawkins/Sarah Smith



Sarah A Thomas










Jesse Bowles







Elizabeth Bowles










Hannah Perkins










Henry Wilson I


Henry Wilson I served in the Virginia House of Burgess prior to the Revolutionary War. The family lived in Fairfax and/or Fauquier Counties VA. In addition, Henry, and his son Capt. Henry Wilson II, helped Daniel Boone establish Boonesborough KY and also helped found Bryans Station KY in 1782.


The children of Henry Wilson I and his unknown wife were:


1.     John, of Fauquier Co VA, migrated to KY in 1774. All other brothers followed (him to KY) later. Died in 1782 in the Battle of the Blue Licks Springs (KY).

2.     Capt. Henry Todd Wilson II, born 1 Mar 1754 in Fairfax Co VA (although in an 1832 deposition he states he is 72 years old--hence born in 1760--and was born in Augusta Co VA), married Frances (Frankie) Faulkner Feb 1782 in Bryans Station KY and died circa 1848 in Flat Rock, Bourbon Co KY. Defended Bryans Station during the Indian siege on 14 Aug 1782. Was in the Battle of the Blue Licks Springs (KY) with his brother John. Died circa 1848.

3.     Israel, of Fauquier Co VA.


Capt. Henry Wilson II


Capt. Henry Wilson II, born 1 Mar 1754 in Fairfax Co VA, married Frances (Frankie) Faulkner Feb 1782 in Bryans Station KY and died circa 1848 in Flat Rock, Bourbon Co KY. Henry lived near the Culpeper County (VA) Courthouse until 1779, when he moved to Kentucky, with his father. Another researcher reports that the Wilsons moved to Kentucky with Daniel Boone. In addition to helping his father establish Boonesborough KY with Daniel Boone, Henry II also helped found with his fatherand even lived within the stockade ofBryans Station KY (initially established in 1779). Bryans Station was founded about 5 miles NE of present day Lexington KY. It was at Bryans Station that Henry and his wife Frances Faulkner married in February 1782. He wore an officers uniform and she a calico dress that cost 50 cents a yard.



The following information on Henry and Frances Wilson

is taken from the

History of Cooper Co, MO, pages 261-267


Henrys total time of actual service as a soldier of the Revolution, according to records in the War Department, was 23 months. He served in many capacities as a private, Indian spy, sergeant and captain. Henry volunteered to join Captain John Allisons company, a unit in the regiment of Captain George Rogers Clarke. He served in the expedition three months against the Indians on the Ohio and Miami rivers. He immediately re-enlisted and served three months as sergeant in Captain Charles Gattliffs company of Colonel Triggs regiment. He was on guard at Bryan Station when it was commanded by Lieutenant James Ray and Lieutenant James McCulluh, during the absence of Captain Gattliff at his home.


In the Fall of 1781, Henry Wilson was employed with Thomas Wilson and James Ledgewood as scouts against the Indians. They discovered a tepee village up the Kentucky river. Henry was appointed captain of a company to march against the camp. In a battle with the Indians, he lost three men. Henry again volunteered, in August, 1782, for three months service under Captain Silas Harlin in Colonel Triggs regiment. During this period of enlistment, he fought at Bryan Station and Blue Licks. Soon thereafter news came to the wilderness that the Revolution was over and that the colonies were victorious. The Indians, however, still were on the warpath. Henry, as a sergeant served in Captain Simon Kentons company and helped to burn the Indian town of New Chillicothe, or Pequa. Simon Kenton and Henry were associates of Daniel Boone.


Frances Faulkner, who became the bride of Henry Wilson in 1782, at Bryan Station, was one of the women who carried water to withstand the siege there. Frances was a daughter of John Faulkner and his wife Joyce Craig. Joyce was the daughter of Taliaferro (pronounced Toliver) Craig, Sr. (born 1704, married 1730, and died 1795). Thus Frances Faulkner was closely related by ties of blood to most of the men and women who resided at Bryan Station between 1781 and 1783. Visitors to the Memorial Wall at Bryan Station Spring, erected by the Lexington Chapter D.A.R. in 1896, are impressed with the number of Craigs who so gloriously served Kentucky at the siege of Bryan Station. Barton Stone Wilson, who was a prominent citizen of Boonville during the 1850s and 60s, was a son of the Henry Wilson who married Frances Faulkner.


Henry had entered a large tract of land on Cane Ridge near the present Paris, in Bourbon County, Kentucky, during the Revolution, but marauding Indians made it impossible for him to improve it. Later he entered 2400 acres and built a cabin near a living spring on Brush creek, in the fall of 1782. Soon this cabin was replaced with a stone mansion, built with portholes, so occupants might defend themselves from Indians. The house was built around a clear, cold spring with a springhouse under the dining room.


Henry Wilson and his wife, Frances, were the parents of 12 children. As the sons and daughters married, each was given 200 acres and a horse and saddle. The neighborhood became known as Wilsons Colony.



Henry and Frances were in Bryans Station (located approximately 5 miles ENE of present day Lexington KY) when it was besieged on 14 Aug 1782 by Indians under the leadership of Simon Girty, an Englishman who sided with the Indians in their attempt to expunge the pioneers from the Ohio River valley. This attack, detailed below, is a fascinating story. Frances was one of the women who, knowing an attack was immanent, fetched water just before the siege with other women of the fort in order to not alarm or raise the suspicions of the Indians hiding in the woods. Later that day, during the siege, she helped melt pewter and other lead-based dinnerware to make shot for the muskets.



The Siege of Bryans Station KY on 14 August 1782

As told in the book

History of Cooper County, Missouri

pages 261-267


Cornwallis had surrendered at Yorktown, but the news had not filtered into the sylvan solitude of Kentucky, six hundred miles west of the farthest settlement in the Old Dominion proper.

August, 1782, was green and gold in the broad Elkhorn Valley. Sun and shadow wove changing patterns on natures verdant carpet as the south wind stirred leaves. The earth yielded her increase from virgin soil in the clearings about Bryan Station (5 miles NE of present day Lexington KY). Tall corn, hemp and a large vegetable garden flourished. Flocks and herds had increased. All about were evidences of peace and promised plenty. Crops were laid by, and the frontiersmen again hunted and fished a-plenty, but with a weather eye for Indians and British.

Bryan Station, established in 1779, abandoned, and later reoccupied by new settlers, consisted of 40 log cabins and four blockhouses, the buildings set at irregular intervals on the long sides of a parallelogram 150 by 600 feet, enclosed by a stout stockade. Roofs of the cabins sloped but one wayin.

Built on ground high enough to command the surrounding territory, the stockade did not have within it a water supply. Women and children carried filled noggins and piggins from a spring under the hill. The clear, cold draughts were even sweeter from a gourd dipper. A noggin is a wooden bucket with two upright staves for handles. A piggin has a handle made of but one upright stave.

Bryan Station settlement was the home of 43 hardy woodsmen, five old men, 32 women and 64 children. A few lived outside the walled enclosure, down by the sheds sheltering huge, homemade tanning vats and crude contrivances for making rope.

This little outpost of empire drowsed through the golden afternoon of August 14, 1782. Babies slept in cradles made from hollowed logs. Pioneer mothers spun or wove, or tidied up the 14-foot-square cabin, with its wide fireplace at one end and, in a corner, its one-poster bed of spicy pine boughs, spread with bear pelts and buffalo robes.

Toward sunset, when most of the hunters had returned, Hardy Goodfellow, riding fast from Hoys Station, came as express, as messengers often were called, to warn that Indians had captured two youths from that settlement. Settlers had been defeated at Upper Blue Licks. British officers with the Indians added fears of cannon in anticipated further attacks. Reinforcements from Bryan Station to join the relief party from Hoys in pursuit of the Indians were asked and immediately assured.

The days tranquility was followed by excitement and feverish activity. Lead was melted and molded, and Monk, the slave, mixed more powder, using saltpetre he had mined from a cave. Powder horns were filled. Guns were cleanedlong, small-bore, accurate rifles with which the owners could hit a squirrels eye at 100 yards.

Betsy Craig, wistful and in her early teens, assisted her mother to mold bullets and insisted on melting her gold beads because Simon Girty, the renegade, sometimes called the white Indian, had boasted he never would be killed by lead.

Late at night preparations were completed and the relief party turned in for an early start next morning. The fighting men slept the sleep of exhaustion. But before dawn, one by one they were awakened by the ominous hush of wild life in the forest about them. The pioneers who lighted our Saxon fires on the shadowy frontier knew immediately that cornfield and woodland teemed with naked savages.

As day came tense and pale, there was as little sign of activity within the stockade as outside. The woodsmen instinctively knew the Indians wondered if their ruse at Hoys Station had deprived Bryan of its garrison. They would keep to cover until they could determine the settlers strength. Quietly, Thomas Bell and Nicholas Tomlinson slipped away to go to Lexington for aid. The Indians did not molest them, hoping still to hide their presence.

There must be plenty of water if the garrison was to withstand a siege. Toting it from the spring was traditionally the work of women and of the older children. For men to play the knightly part would invite certain disaster. Without ceremony the women and girls formed a party and straggled casually from the wide gate near the center of one of the long walls of the stockade. There was one such gate one each side. Down the hill they carried their wooden buckets, conscious of a thousand savage eyes upon them. At the spring they took their turns. It was shallow, not permitting a quick dipping of the pail. Then, with their backs to the unseen enemy, they walked in little groups back up the steep incline. One by one they gained the safety of the enclosure, and hopes rose like an incoming tide.

Later the settlers in Bryan Station were to learn that the force against them numbered about 600, including 560 Indians and 60 Canadian Rangers and Tories. This force had descended upon the settlement, hoping to find it practically defenseless.

The British had ordered all settlements south of the Ohio River annihilated. Lieutenant-governor Hamilton had delegated Captain William Caldwell to direct the gory task. He had gathered a company of British and Canadian rangers and had enlisted the aid of Simon Girty, the cruel and cunning renegade who had turned against the colonies in 1777.

To draw out the men, and thus determine the strength of the garrison, the enemy sent its smaller force to make an attack from the side of the station opposite to where the larger force lay hidden near the spring. Suspecting a ruse, Captain John Craig, commanding the garrison, sent Elijah Craig, 17, with a small force out to meet the attackers. This little band made much noise, firing rapidly and creating the impression that they were the sole defense. The Indians retreated rapidly, leading, as they thought, all the men from the station. Then the vast multitude swarmed from around the spring to storm the opposite side of the stockade. A withering fire from the long hunting rifles of the keen-eyed defenders shot to pieces the wavering advance, and force savages and rangers to seek shelter behind trees and rocks.

The smaller force commanded by Elijah Craig raced back through the stockades quickly opened gate and re-enforced the defenders. The fighting continued through the afternoon, the enemy firing from forest and fields dense with corn, hemp and cane.

In the meantime, Bell and Tomlinson, the messengers to Lexington, had learned the men there had gone to the aid of Hoys Station near the present Richmond (KY). They overtook the force and headed them back toward Bryan Station. As shadows slanted toward the east, a cavalcade of 16 horsemen and hunters on foot approached Bryan Station along the narrow trace toward Bryan Station gate while the deadly silence warned them of imminent danger.

A hasty conference; then action. The column of 16 mounted men rode madly along the trace toward Bryan Station gate while the footmen scurried for it through the tall corn.

Savage yells and rifle shots served only to notify the garrison to open the gateand every horseman dashed safely into the enclosure. The riders, passing close to the savages, were poor targets and the dust kicked up by the flying steeds along the earthy surface of the trace where wild animals had worn away the grass as they traveled to watering places, had helped to create a smokescreen.

The footmen in the corn encountered many savages. There was hand to hand fighting with rifles used as clubs. The hordes of savages cut off their approach to the stockade. Disorganized and every man for himself, two were killed. The rest escaped back to Lexington (KY), four survivors being wounded.

With night descending and the garrison re-enforced by 16, the Indians shot lighted arrows, aimed at the cabin roofs. Several of the cabins burned but a favorable wind kept the flames from spreading. Boys too small to handle a rifle were placed upon the inward slanting roofs to throw off the blazing brands as fast as they fell. A flaming arrow fell upon the infant Richard M. Johnson, a future vice-president of the United States, as he lay in a sugar-trough cradle.

Simon Girty then decided to try his powers of persuasion in the arena where force had failed. Hiding behind a stump near the stockade, he hailed the garrison, demanding surrender. He commended their courage but deprecated their judgment, saying he expected momentarily re-inforcements with artillery that would blow up the cabins. When the station was taken by storm, he would be unable to save the settlers' lives, but if they surrendered immediately he promised not a hair in their heads should be hurt. He announced his name and inquired if they knew him, assuring they could trust his honor.

The garrison had listened in silence. A youth named Reynolds, noted for his courage, energy, and frolicsome gaiety, promptly replied that they knew the enemy commander and that he (Reynolds) had a worthless dog that he had named Simon Girty because of its striking resemblance to the namesake; that if Girty had either artillery or reinforcements to bring them on and be damned; that when Girty and his rascals gained the fort the settlers would throw away their guns and drive them out with switches; and, finally, the settlers themselves expected reinforcements, as all inhabitants were marching to the assistance of Bryan Station, and the scalps of Girty and his cutthroats soon would dry on the cabin roofs.

Simon and his savages vented their wrath by destroying the garden and crops, killing livestock and appropriating horses outside the stockade. With their campfires still burning, they slipped away before dawn on August 17.

About 40 Indians were killed, according to Daniel Boone, who arrived with a relief party and then joined the growing army of settlers who pursued the Indians and British and fought the disastrous last battle of the American Revolution at Blue Licks two days later, August 19, 1782.

Being overly eager, the frontiersmen attacked too hastily and the outcome was almost a massacre. Because many horses had been stolen from Bryan Station, few men from there participated in the Battle of Blue Licks. Pursuit of the erstwhile besiegers had been by mounted frontiersmen. Included in the list of heroes on the memorial monument erected on the Blue Licks Battle Field is that of Henry Wilson.



Allan W. Eckert, author of That Dark and Bloody River, picks up the detail (pages 415-416) on what happened next as the reinforcements who came to the rescue of Bryans Station began pursuing the Indians who were leading the Kentuckians into an ambush at the Blue Licks on the Licking River in what is now northern Kentucky.


The force of 600 Indians had crossed the Ohio and reached the Blue Licks on the Licking River (KY) undetected. There the majority of the force, 350 warriors, had positioned themselves for the ambush (at the Blue Licks) while the remaining 250, including Capt. William Caldwell and his 50 (British) Redcoats, went on and fiercely attacked Bryans Station. The presence of the British with the (Indian) attackers, as (Simon) Girty had anticipated, helped convince the Kentuckians that this was the whole attacking force. Indian spies watched as the two whites they allowed to escape (from Bryans Station) fled to Lexington (KY) and raised the alarm. First a party of 50 men, including ten who had arrived from Boonesboro, galloped to Bryans Station in an attempt to provide relief for the besieged station, but they were quickly beaten off and retreated to Lexington with word that a greater force would be necessary to drive off the Indians.


The Indian spies who had followed them quickly brought back word that reinforcements had arrived at Lexington, and a mounted force of some 200 had quickly formed and were on the way. At this intelligence, Girty ordered the (Bryans Station) attackers to mount up, and they headed directly for the Blue Licks, making no effort to hide their trail. The pursuing whites were not far behind and, when the trail of the party they were following cross the Licking and continued past the Blue Licks and up a ravine on the other side, they followed. Girtys ambush was sprung with devastating success. Seventy-two of the Kentuckians were killed, and the rest fled in panic. Only three Indians were killed and four others slightly wounded. Taking scalps, weapons, horses and other plunder, Girtys force then returned in triumph to Chalahgawtha (the Indian village).



Will of Captain Henry T. Wilson

Bourbon Co KY Will Book N, page 265

Dated 31 Jul 1843, Probated 4 Dec 1848


In his will, Henry:

         Mentions his son Joseph Wilson whom he mentions as having lived with for a number of years and who having been unfortunate in business but still having my confidence;

         Bequeaths the whole of his estate to Joseph and his wife Nancy;

         Directs Joseph to sell enough land to raise money for the following;

         $100 for his son John C. Wilson and his wife and family;

         $100 for his son Harvey Wilson and his wife and family;

         $100 for his son Andrew B. Wilson and his wife and family;

         $100 for his daughter Frankie Redmon for her own use;

         $100 for his son Barton T. Wilson and his wife and family;

         Appoints his son Joseph Wilson as Executor.




The children of Capt. Henry Todd Wilson II and Frances (Frankie) Faulkner were:


1.     John C.

2.     William.

3.     Burr.

4.     Lewis, married Sarah Anderson Thomas on 30 Apr/6 May 1816 in Bourbon Co KY and died 21 Nov 1841. After his death, Sarah married a Dr. John Marple on 3 Apr 1845 but, according to a family researcher, they did not get along and she later divorced him.

5.     Henry F, born circa 1784, Flat Rock, Bourbon Co KY and married Henrietta Parker.

6.     Joseph, married Nancy _____.

7.     Barton T.

8.     Elizabeth.

9.     Frances, born circa 1800, married Dr. Richard Harris.

10.  Annie.

11.  Harvey (could also be another name for Henry, child #5 above)

12.  Andrew B.

Lewis Wilson


Lewis Wilson married Sarah Anderson Thomas on 6 May 1816 (license obtained on 30 Apr 1816) in Bourbon Co KY. Lewis died 21 Nov 1841.


Sarah Anderson Thomas, his wife, was born 9 Oct 1799 in Bath Co KY. After Lewis died, Sarahaccording to a family researcherremarried a Dr. John Marple on 3 Apr 1845. They did not get along and she divorced him. Sarah died on 9 Mar 1868. She is the daughter of Elder Richard Thomas III and Elizabeth (Betsy) Bowles. For more information about the Thomas surname, please see the chapter entitled the same.


In 1846 and continuing into 1848, a Bill of Complaint (lawsuit) was brought against the heirs of Lewis Wilson by a Christopher E. Dooley in a Bourbon County KY Court. The complaint mentions a bill that is apparently outstanding. The Complainant lists the defendants to this amended bill and prays that they be required to answer (ie: PAY) it and the original bill. The defendants included David Ellington and John Wilson, Administrators of the estate of Lewis Wilson deceased, Silas Surrency and Martha his wife, Harvey Wilson, Josiah P. Skillman and Levinia his wife, John Wilson and ______ Wilson, Mary Belt, wife of John Belt and the unknown heirs of Elizabeth Rogers, deceased. The Complainants lawyer ends the plea to the Court with the phrase Your orator prays as in his original bill. I do not know the location of this particular record nor do I know the outcome of the complaint.



The children of Lewis and Sarah were:


1.     Harvey Thomas, born 29 Dec 1817 Flat Rock, Bourbon Co KY abt 10 oclock in the morn, married Margaret Sorency (Silas Sorencys sister!) on 17 May 1838 Bath Co KY and died 17 May 1898 Campbell Co KY at the home of his son-in-law and daughter M.R. and Mary Elizabeth Lockhart, in the Highlands near Newport, Campbell Co KY. Harvey was a merchant, Grand High Priest of the Masons of Kentucky in 1855, Grand Master in 1859 and held every other office of distinction the order could confer upon him and his state, representative from Fleming Co to the KY General Assembly 1853-1855, , representative from Mason Co to the KY General Assembly 1857-1859. Harvey and Margaret lived in Covington KY and educated their children in Cincinnati OH (across the Ohio River from Covington). According to the Elder Richard Thomas Bible, Margaret and Harvey mooved to MO on the 1st day of Sept 1839 & removed to Ky on the 12 Sept 1842. They migrated a number of times, uncommon for that day: Bourbon/Bath Co KY 1838-1839, Johnson Co MO 1839-1842, Sherburne/Fleming Co KY 1846-1851, West Liberty/Morgan Co KY 1857-1858, Bath Co KY 1858-1861, Bank Lick/Kenton Co KY 1890, Bellevue/Campbell Co KY shortly thereafter until his death in 1898.

2.     Elizabeth T, born 14 Sep 1819 Flat Rock, Bourbon Co KY, married Dr. Hardin Rogers (1815-1852) on 22 Feb 1838 in Bath Co KY and she died on 17 Aug 1843 in Carroll Co MO. After losing several children who died in infancy, they had one daughter, Mary Owings Rogers (born circa 1839/1840 Bath Co KY). In early 1843, a pregnant Elizabeth and her husband moved to Carroll Co MO where their second daughter Agnes Martha Rogers was born. Elizabeth died shortly thereafter. The girls were sent to live with and be raised by an aunt (Note: Louis Grimm, a 2001 Rogers and Wilson researcher, determined that this aunt was Martha Wilson Sorency - living in Cass Co MO at the time). Dr. Rogers remarried a Sarah Ann Thomas, a first cousin of his first wife, on 13 Aug 1844 in Carroll Co MO. Sarah Ann (1828-1852) was the daughter of David and Martha (Parker) Thomas. Sometime between 1844 and 1850, Sarah and Hardin moved to Caldwell Co MO (just west of Carroll Co MO) - by which time the two girls from his first marriage were probably reunited with their father and new stepmother. She bore him three children between 1847 and 1852 (Archer, Leslie and Janine). Both Hardin and Sarah Ann died in 1852 (he in Sept 1852). The three younger children went to live with their Thomas grandmother who lived in Carroll Co MO. The two older children (Mary and Agnes) went to live again with their aunt, Martha (Wilson) Sorency. (Note: The Sorency chapter transcribes some 1856 court documents that support Silas as the Guardian of Agnes). These two girls were living in Cass Co MO in the late 1850's when they met and married the Hammond brothers - who had come from Lincoln Co KY. Mary married John an Agnes married William. (Note: Agnes and Will were the great-grandparents of Louis Grimm). According to the Missouri State Archives, Dr. Rogers served as a Representative from Carroll County to the MO state legislature in 1844. It is believed that Dr. Rogers was born in either Bourbon or Bath Co KY.

3.     Martha Ann, born 3 Oct 1821 in Flat Rock, Bourbon Co KY, married Silas Sorency on 8 Mar 1838 in Bourbon Co KY and died circa 1862 in Cass Co MO. She is buried in the Union Baptist Cemetery in Cass Co MO.

4.     Lavinia (Louvinia) Thomas, born 20 Mar 1824 Flat Rock, Bourbon Co KY a little before day in the morning, married Josiah Payne Skillman (b 23 Sep 1807d 31 Aug 1871) on 8 Oct 1840 in Bourbon Co KY and died circa 23 Nov 1886 in Pleasant Hill, Cass Co MO. Lavinia was the second wife of Josiah - he had previously been married to Amanda Hutchinson who died circa 1835. Both Lavina and Josiah are buried in the Pleasant Hill Cemetery, Pleasant Hill, Cass Co, MO.

5.     Mary Hughes, born 25 Apr 1826 Flat Rock (now Little Rock), Bourbon Co KY, married John F. Belt 1 Oct 1845.

6.     Lewis Faulkner, born 10 Nov 1829 Flat Rock Precinct, Bourbon Co KY, married Mary L. Keeran (b 14 Jul 1833d 28 Apr 1916) on 27 Aug 1850 Cass Co MO and died of cancer 30 Jul 1909 Dayton, Columbia Co WA. At age 18, Lewis enlisted at Paris KY and served in the Mexican War under Capt. Hobbs and was in the battle to capture Cerro Gordo near Vera Cruz Mexicowhere he nearly died of cholera. In 1850 he moved to Pleasant Hill where he was a carpenter, silversmith, jeweler and a merchant: proprietor of L.F. Wilson & Co. Lewis sided with the south and accompanied the confederate guerilla Quantrill on his attacks on the Red Legs of Kansas. During the Civil War, Lewis attained the rank of Captain in the CSA and fought in the Battles of Independence, Cane Hill, West Port, Arcadia and at Iron Mountain, where he led the advance under Captain Jeff Thompson.

7.     Enfield Rosabella, born 12 May 1831 or 1838 in Flat Rock Precinct, Bourbon Co KY, married Jonathan Stamper Wilson (b 22 Jul 1829) on 2 Apr 1857 and died 25 May 1909.



Martha Ann Wilson


Martha Ann was born on 3 Oct 1821 in Flat Rock, Bourbon Co KY. She married Silas Sorency on 8 Mar 1838 in Bourbon Co KY, moved to Cass Co MO circa 1841and died circa 1862 in Cass Co MO. She is buried in the Union Baptist Cemetery in Cass Co MO next to her husband. Please see the Sorency chapter for more information regarding this union, their children and their descendants.


Recorded below is an 1849 letter from Martha Ann (Wilson) Sorency (Silas wife) of Cass Co MO to her brother Lewis F. Wilson who was still living back in KY. I received this letter and several others from Dr. Jack S. Ingram of Medford, OR. Jack is a Wilson and Thomas researcher who provided me with a great deal of genealogical information on these two surnames.


In her letter, Martha Ann refers to a Jerry Farmer. According to the History of Cass and Bates Co, Missouri, the township of Big Creek was originally settled by Southern men, hailing generally from Virginia, Kentucky and Tennessee, the latter State being more largely represented than any other. Occasionally, however, a solitary emigrant, from one of the more distant Southern states, would come to the West, to cast his lot with the adventurous frontiersmen, who were so rapidly settling up Western Missouri. There was a settlement, known as the Farmer Settlement, called so after the Farmers, a large family who came from East Tennessee (specifically Knox Co TN it has been learned), and opened claims on Big Creek and its tributaries. Their names were: Jeremiah Farmer, Baptist minister, Henry Farmer(*), .., Silas Sorency..."



March 6th 1849



My Dear Brother (Lewis F. Wilson), I quit writing to ma to say a word or two to you. I have waited anxiously for your letter for some time, and you dont give me the news that I longd of all things to hear, surely you will not be displeased if I resume the subject again, for I assure you that no person here read my letter to you or your answer to it but myself. Have you not read in the bible where it says My spirit shall not always strive with man. Now do not quench the promptings of the Holy Spirit. I tell you this from experience. Again the effectual fervent prayer of the righteous man availith much. But you will say how is this applicable to me? I will tell you but I wish this note kept to yourself lest people say it was hipocrasy during the protracted meeting last August which we attended regular the church covenanted together at the first of the meeting to pray for sinners and the outpouring of the Holy Spirit at the rising and setting of the sun. I dont know why it was but my constant wish was that God would give me strength and courage that I might not quench the spirit should I feel its promtings and on Monday the 14th whilst they all were engaged in prayer, I was sitting by my beloved sister Sarah Westfall, who was weeping and praying for her oldest Brother and I could hear almost every word she said. I could not enjoy the meeting as I wished, I felt so hard harted I thought I would give anything if I could only cry with her but I could not, the prayer was finished and we rose to our feet and commenced singing, sudden as a flash of lightning and awful terror spread over me and I sunk down on my seat unable to stand and burst in to tears and bellowed for Jerry Farmer (preacher from Tennessee), I was supported until he came to me, my terror was such that I did not wait for his question but told him that I had a dear Brother in Ky. and I wanted him to pray for him. It appeared to me that eternal destruction would be your doom unless snatched instantly as a brand from the eternal burning, I begged him to pray for you, to pray right then and to pray out loud. He knelt down, oh may the words of his prayer be fulfilled, though I may never see your face again. O may I have testimony that we may meet again hereafter. He promised me that he would remember you in his night and morning prayer and God has said that the effectual fervant prayer of the rightous man availeth much, and I cannot believe that there is a more righteous self denying man in Mo., one whose labors are blessed where ever he goes, surely then God will remember his promise and hear my prayer for his sake and send the blessing home to your heart. How I wished for you there now do not quench the influence of the Spirit in your heart, but be strong in your weekness and call upon the Lord to pardon your sins for his own sake, for I do firmly believe this day that it was the holy spirit that promted me, to do as I did and my wish was granted. I had courage sufficient to tell what I wanted and did not smother it in my own bosom and I now tell you again that Gods spirit will not always strive with man, and beware how you smother your feelings and seek pleasure to drive those feelings of self reproach from your bosom.

I must stop but do not think that I am to hard on you. I could not talk so plain to you and tell you all I want to if I were with you. My feelings would not let me, therefore I thought best to write what I have. Now dont let any person see this for the reason I have assigned. Come out this summer you and Ma. I dont ask an answer to this, only write as though I had told you nothing and may the God of justice pardon your sins and make you a burning and shining light and may I one day hear the voice of that stranger (for whom our beloved missionary prayed) in Union Church pleading in behalf of poor sinners.

Your Sister,

Ann (Martha Ann Wilson Sorency)




Federal and State Census Records




1800 Tax List, Bourbon Co KY

Alexander Wilson

Daniel Wilson

Ephaim Wilson

Henry Wilson, Jr.

Henry Wilson, Sr.

Hugh Wilson

Jacob Wilson

James Wilson

James Wilson

James Wilson

John Wilson

John Wilson


1810 Federal Census, Bourbon Co KY (Page 114)

Henry Wilson Sr

Males 1 45 and older (probably Henry Sr)

Females 1 between 16 and 26

1 between 26 and 45 (probably Henrys wife)

Slaves 19


Henry Wilson (Jr) (Page 114)

Males 2 under 10

2 between 10 and 16

3 between 16 and 26

1 45 and older (probably Henry Jr)

Females 2 under 10

1 between 10 and 16

1 between 26 and 45 (probably Frances Faulkner, Henrys wife)

Slaves 9


John Faulkner

Males 1 between 26 and 45 (probably John)

Females 1 under 10

1 between 10 and 16

1 between 16 and 26 (probably Rejoice)


1820 Federal Census, Bourbon Co KY

Lewis Wilson

Males 1 between 16 and 25 (probably Lewis)

Females 1 between 16 and 25 (probably Sarah)


1830 Federal Census, Bourbon Co KY

Lewis Wilson

Males 1 between 30 and 40 (probably Lewis)

Females 1 between 30 and 40 (probably Sarah)


1840 Federal Census, Bourbon Co KY

Lewis Wilson

Males 1 between 40 and 50 (probably Lewis)

Females 1 between 40 and 50 (probably Sarah)






         Genealogical and historical research I conducted.

         History of Cooper Co, Missouri by Elston Joseph Melton, E.W. Stephens Publishing Company, Columbia MO, 1937. Pages 261-267. Library of Congress # 37007108.

         That Dark and Bloody River, Chronicles of the Ohio River Valley by Allan W. Eckert, Bantam Books, 1995. Pages 413-426.

         Dr. Jack S. Ingram, M.D, 914 Queen Anne Ave, Medford OR 97504. A researcher by the name of Jack Rhodes was working on the Thomas and Wilson genealogy but had not completed his manuscript when he died. Marjorie Brown, a retired college professor, took on the task of completing a Thomas manuscript. Jack Ingram gave Marjorie all the material he had collected from Jack Rhodes and she had approximately 90% of the manuscript done when she developed a brain tumor and died in 1992. Marjories close friend, Jane Stearns (522 Windswept Dr, Ashville NC 28801), finished the project and a Charlotte NC publisher published the book Twelve Generations of the Rowland Thomas Family in America, and Related Lines in 1993. Jack passed away on 25 Jan 2002.

         The Pioneers of Kentucky, an article which appeared in the magazine or newspaper called The Kentuckian, Paris KY, between 1870 and 1890. Actual existence of the article, mentioning the three brothers John, Henry (Sr) and Israel Wilson, has not been found but may appear in the Twelve Generations book above.

         Kentucky Ancestors, Vol. 7, No. 2 (Oct 1971), Vol. 9, No. 1 (July 1973): References the entries in the Bible of Richard Thomas III.

         Louis Grimm, 509 E Fifth, Rolla MO 65401. Email: