Back to Wichmann Family
A.C.F. WICHMAN, superintendent of brewery, came to America in 1849, with his parents, from Prussia, his native country. They located in Cincinnati, where our subject leaned the cabinet-maker's trade. After working at it there two and a half years, he came to Fort Wayne, where he pursued his calling about the same length of time. After a short period in Logansport, Ind., he returned to Fort Wayne and remained until January, 1864, when he came to Kendallville, engaging in the furniture trade until 1867. For several years, subsequent to this period, he worked at different things - principally book-keeping. In 1877, he bought one-half interest in the brewery with William Seifert, which they conducted until the death of Seifert in September 1879, when Mr. Wichman became the sole owner, and which he has conducted up to the present time, being now, by a subsequent change in proprietorship, manager for the owner, Henry C. Paul, of Fort Wayne. This brewery was built in 1867, by Louis Schwartzkopf and Geo. Aichele, subsequently becoming the property of Francis J. Beek, Seifert and Heinike, and the parties mentioned above. Mr. Wichman has served as City Clerk three years; as Township Assessor one term, and is now the City Civil Engineer. He is a prominent member of the German Lutheran Church, having been a member, together with his wife, since 1864. Mr. Wichman was united in marriage, in 1857, with Miss Elizabeth Eberlein; she came from Bavaria, Germany, in 1848, to America. They have nine children-Emma, Herman, Lizzie, Magdelena, Albert, Lydia, Paul, Henry and Clara.
From Counties of LaGrange and Noble, Indian, Historical and Biographical Illustrated
F.A. Battey & Co., publishers