Back to Our Family
STEHR - MEYER - WOLLE FAMILIES
The earliest records we have of these families are from the area near Uelzen in the Lueneburger Heide (Lueneburg Heath) area of Hannover, Germany.
For earlier generations, see Wolle Ancestor Table
Catharina Marie Stehr, daughter of Heinrich Andreas Stehr and Ilse Margarete Bunge
- born 27 March 1797 in Linden, Hannover, Germany
- died 18 May 1863
- married 7 May 1819 in Ebstorf, Uelzen, Hannover, Germany
(1) Johann Heinrich Meyer, son of Juergen Hinrich Meyer and Catharina Elisabeth Stolte
- born 1 December 1792 in Altenebstorf, Hannover, Germany,
- died 28 October 1826
All their children were born at Altenebstorf 11 (House number)
She married (2) 11 November 1827 in Ebstorf, Uelzen, Hannover, Germany
Johann Heinrich Wolle, son of Heinrich Wilhelm Wolle and Catharina Dorothea Schulenburg
- born 2 September 1796 in Altenebstorf, Hannover, Germany,
- died 21 February 1875
Lived at Altenebsdorf.
Children of Catherine Stehr and J. H. Meyer:
Children of Catharine Stehr and Johann Heinrich Wolle:
- 1. Catharine Dorothea Meyer
- born 17 January 1820 at Altenebstorf 11
- died 3 May 1846, apparently in Germany
- 2. Margarethe "Catherine" Meyer
- born 20 January 1820 at Altenebstorf 11
- married (1) married 27 April 1845 in Ebstorf
Heinrich Christoph Peters, of Oerrel, (son of Juergen Heinrich Peters)
- died before 1870 in Germany
She came with her 3 children to the US in 1870 on the ship Allemannia. On the 1880 census, she was in the household with daughter Dora Probst, Peotone, Will Co., IL.
She married (2) 1883 to Frederick Schmidt
A. Dorothea Catherine Peters,
- born 05 December 1845 in Altenebstorf,
- died 18 March 1927 in Dickinson County,Iowa
- married in Will County, Illinois to
Henry Gottfried Probst born 27 December 1845 in Ebstorf, son of August Probst and Elisabeth Oetzmann
- died 25 May 1918 in Iowa.
He had come on the ship "Allemannia" arriving in New York May 20, 1870, the same ship with Margaretha Peters and her 3 children
The family lived near Monee in Will County Illinois; moved to Iowa in 1887
In 1920 Dorothea, widowed, was living with son William Probst in Lloyd Twp, Dickinson Co., Iowa
a. William Probst, born 30 August 1870 in Illinois, died 22 March 1931 in Terril, Iowa. Never married.
B. Catherine Anna Marie Peters, born 19 November 1848, Altenebstorf; immigrated with her mother, brother and sister. No more is presently known about her.
b. Henry Christoph "Hank" Probst, born 16 February 1872 in Illinois, died 12 November 1947 in Terril, Iowa; married 16 July 1900 in Spirit Lake, Iowa, to Frieda Palsow in Spirit Lake, Iowa, born 7 August 1881 in Dietrickdorf, Mecklenburg-Schwerin, (daughter of Sophia Palsow Peters) died 8 December 1966 in Spirit Lake, Iowa. Ten children.
c. Emma Elise Probst, born 1874 in Illinois, died 8 June 1908; married 25 February 1900 to Emil Hoffman. Two children.
d. Maria Catherine Probst, born 18 March 1877 in Illinois, died 16 April 1959, Iowa; married 13 December 1900 to Henry W. Schnelle; three children, one who survived infancy
e. Dororthea "Dora" Catherine Probst, born 15 January 1878 in Illinois, died 21 September 1931 in Iowa; married about 1902 to William A. Rekow. No children, but raised the two children of Emma and Emil Hoffman.
f. Dorothea Margaretha Probst, born and died in January 1883 in Illinois
g. Herman Probst, born 10 January 1884 in Illinois, died 28 May 1919 in Iowa. Never married.
h. Christoph William Probst, born 18 August 1890 in Iowa, died July 1966 in Iowa; married 15 January 1913 to Fannie Norden; one son.
C. Henry Peters
- born 8 September 1850 in Altenebstorf, immigrated, 1870 on the ship Allemannia with his mother and sisters. In 1880 was with his sister Dora and husband Henry Probst in Peotone, Will Co., Illinois, along with his mother
- died 19 March 1933, buried Lloyd Twp., Dickinson, Iowa, Fairview Cemetery
- married 1) on 8 July 1883, Will County, Illinois, to Mary Hahn, born 1859, died 18 Jan 1893, Iowa
- married 2) 15 May 1893 in Spirit Lake, Iowa to Sophia Palsow, born 1863 in Germany, immigrated about 1882;
- died 1926, buried Lloyd Twp., Dickinson, Iowa, Fairview Cemetery. Children:
a. Frieda S. Peters nee Palsow, born 7 August 1881 in Dietrickdorf, Mecklenburg-Schwerin, died 8 December 1966 in Spirit Lake, Dickinson, Iowa; married 16 July 1900 to Henry Christoph "Hank" Probst, (son of Henry Gottfried Probst and Dorothea (Catherine D.) Peters). Ten children.
b. Henry William Peters, born 5 February 1884 in Illinois, died April 1972 in Tyler, Minnesota; married Hilda Arneson, two children.
c. Minnie M. Peters, born about October 1886 in Nebraska, died 1927; married Henry Erne, one child.
d. Elisabeth M. Peters, born 9 November 1888 in Nebraska, died December 1976; married 27 March 1918 to Thomas Rubis
e. Carrie Peters nee Palsow, (daughter of Frieda Palsow) born 27 September 1891 in Illinois, died 9 January 1980; married 16 March 1910 to Ben Erne. Two children.
f. Christ William Peters, born 6 March 1894 in Iowa, died 24 April 1981; married about 1922 to 1) Rose Mae Erne, divorced; married 2) 6 April 1937 to Hazel Johnson
g. John Henry Peters, born 20 February 1897 in Iowa, died March 1982 in Mayville, Chautauqua, New York; married Irene ---.
h. Anna Maria Peters, born 20 December 1898, died 24 June 1975
i. Herman M. Peters, born 17 March 1901, died August 1981; married 27 March 1918 to Myrtle Johnson
- 3. Anne Catharina Maria Meyer
- born 18 Jan 1822 at Altenebstorf 11
- died 29 Sep 1870 in Holthusen II.
- married 17 Oct 1852 in Gerdau to Wilhelm Christoph Meyer
- 4. Eleonore Dorothea Maria Meyer
- born 11 Feb 1824 in Altenebstorf 11
- died 04 Aug 1847
- 5. Heinrich Christoph Meyer
- born 11 Jan 1826 at Altenebstorf 11
- died 13 Nov 1903 at Altenebstorf 11, Hannover, Germany
- married 13 Nov 1850 in Ebstorf to
Anne Catharine Margarethe Warneke
- born 05 Apr 1827 at Altenebstorf 8
- died 19 Jan 1916 in Altenebstorf
This man seems to have inherited the family farm, since he died at the same place where he was born.
RIECKMANN | WOLLE Ancestor Table | Our Family
- 6. Catharine Margarethe Wolle
- born 24 Jul 1828 at Altenebstorf 11
- baptized 27 July 1828, Ebstorf
- died 12 Apr 1907 in Will County, Illinois
- buried 14 Apr 1907 in Peotone, Will County, Illinois, Peotone Cemetery
(Her death certificate from state of Illinois gives birth date 24 June.)
- married 19 Oct 1856 in Ebstorf to
Johann Heinrich Schroeder, son of Johann Wilhelm Schroeder
- born 24 Nov 1828 in Lopau,
- died between 1867 and 1876 in Germany
Johann was listed as a Wiesenmacher (literally, meadow maker) in L.u.d. Cath. Magd. Constien.
In the 1880 census Catharine Wolle Schroeder was living in Will County, Illinois, in the household of Ferdinand SALZWEDEL, along with Minnie, age 22; Doris, 15; and Mary 13, all born Hannover. We assume these 3 girls are her daughters, although the census of 1880 does not state the relationships.
At the time of the 1900 census, she was living with family of son William H Schroeder.
She bore 5 children, 5 living in 1900
- A. Wilhelmine "Minnie" Catherine Dorothea Schroeder,
- born 7 November 1856 in Altenebstorf, Uelzen, Hannover, Germany
- immigrated about 1876
- died 11 February 1952, having lived in Pawnee City, Pawnee County, Nebraska
- buried 14 Feb 1952, Pawnee City Cemetery, Pawnee City, Nebraska
- married 07 November 1882, in Cook County, Illinois, to
Peter Benz, born 7 February 1858 in Germany
- died 29 May 1933, buried in Pawnee City Cemetery, Pawnee City, Nebraska
Had a blacksmith shop in Pawnee City, Nebraska, with his brothers and then his sons.
Children of Peter and Minnie Benz:
a. August P. "Gus" Benz, b. 22 August 1883, in Nebraska; d. 23 October 1975, buried in Pawnee City, Nebr.
b. William Herman "Bill" Benz, b. 8 Oct 1885 in Nebraska; d. 12 Aug 1975; married about 1925 to Bernice L. Wherry
c. Gertrude Benz, b. Sep 1890 in Nebraska; d. Mar 1982; buried Pawnee City, Nebraska; married
Lee G. Parli
- B. Wilhelm Heinrich Schroeder,
- born 17 Nov 1858 in Hannover, Germany
- died 19 Mar 1949 in Peotone, Will, Illinois, buried in Peotone, Will, Illinois
- married 06 Aug 1891 in Peotone, Will County, Illinois at Immanuel, now the United Church of Christ, to
Melosine Dorothea Thiesfeld,
- born 25 Dec 1866 in Richton Twp, Cook County, Illinois
- died 18 Sep 1925
In the 1900 census William Schroeder and his family lived in Manteno Township, Kankakee County, Illinois
The 1920 census shows them in Peotone, Will County, Illinois on West Street
In 1930 they were in Peotone, Will County, Illinois, on 500 West Street with children Edward, August, Linda and Philip
Children of William and Melosine Schroeder:
a. Christoph Dietrich Schroeder, born and died 30 September 1892, Kankakee County, Illinois
b. Wilhelmina Sophie Dorothea Schroeder, born 13 May 1894 in Manteno, Illinois, died 22 Feb 1895
c. Albert Heinrich Carl Schroeder, born 14 Oct 1895 in Manteno, Illinois, died Jun 1977; married about 1923 in Perkins County, Nebraska to Alda J. Wostenberg at least 2 children.
d. Edward Friedrich Heinrich Schroeder, born 13 January 1897 in Illinois, died 10 February 1968, having lived in Garland Co., Arkansas.
e. Anna Elizabeth Schroeder, born 2 June 1898 in Manteno, Illinois.
f. Bertha Charlotte Schroeder, born 7 November 1900 in Illinois, died 13 August 1980; married Mr. Nylen.
g. August Wilhelm Schroeder, b. 24 Mar 1902 in Illinois
h. Linda Marie Wilhelmina Schroeder, b. 22 Dec 1905 in Illinois, died 13 Feb 1991; married Mr. Eide.
i. Philip Alfred Frederick Schroeder, born 3 September 1907 in Illinois
j. Loraine Maria Schroeder, born 11 October 1909 in Illinois
- C. Christopher Henry Schroeder PHOTO
- born 12 Oct 1860 in Germany
- died 29 Jul 1936, buried in Terril, Dickinson Co., Iowa, Fairview Cemetery
- married 12 Feb 1890 in Kankakee County, Illinois to
Ina Randt, daughter of Ferdinand Randt and Sophia Peters
- born 10 Oct 1867 in Mecklenburg, Prussia
- died 10 Mar 1930, buried at Fairview Cemetery in Terril, Iowa.
The couple moved to Dickinson County, Iowa, before 1891.
Children of Christopher and Ina Schroeder:
a. Christ Johan Heinrich Schroeder, 1891 - 1902, born and died in Dickinson County, Iowa
b. William Carl Henry Schroeder, b. 11 June 1893, Iowa; d. 21 August 1971, Iowa; married Clara Pape; six children
c. Sarah Louise Wilhelmine Emma Schroeder, b. 09 Dec 1906, Iowa; married Paul Overmeyer
- D. Dora M. K. Schroeder,
- born May 1865 in Altenebstorf, Hannover, Germany
- married 20 Jan 1891 in Will County, Illinois, to
Charles Koehn, born December 1867 in Illinois
In the 1900 census, this couple lived next door to William H. Schroeder in Manteno Twp, Kankakee, on Koehn Road. They moved to LaPorte County, Indiana, before 1930
Children of Charles and Dora Schroeder:
a. Alfred Koehn, born 1891, lived in La Porte County, Indiana; married Ella Schroeder. Seven children
b. Laura Koehn, born about 1893
c. Walter Koehn, born 28 October 1895, died December 1973, having lived in Indiana
d. Herman Koehn, born 14 February 1899, died April 1973, having lived in Illinois; married Mildred, had three children.
- E. Mary Elise Wilhelmine Schroeder,
- born 16 August 1867 in Altenebstorf, Germany
- died 9 October 1935, Will County, Illinois
- married 16 April 1885, Will County, Illinois, to
Henry L. Thiesfeld, born about December 1859, Hanover, Germany, immigrated about 1864. This familiy lived in Will County, Illinios.
a. Frederick W. Thiesfeld, born 19 July 1889 in Illinois; died March 1977, having lived in Will County, Illinois; married about 1920 to Rebecca ---, at least one child
b. Anne Thiesfeld, born 11 June 1891 in Illinois, died September 1985, having lived in Peotone, Illinois
c. Walter Thiesfeld, born 20 Mar 1894, died about April 1972, having lived in Peotone, Illinois
d. Laura Thiesfeld, born about January 1898
- 7. Heinrich "Wilhelm" Wolle,
- born 20 Mar 1830 in Altenebstorf
- baptized 21 March 1830, Ebstorf
- immigrated about 1867
- died 07 Feb 1919
- married about 1865 to
Dora Dorathea Schulze,
- born 28 Mar 1842 in Germany
- died 21 Jun 1904.
She might be the Dora Wolle who was Anna Rieckmann's godmother
According to the 1870 census, they lived in Momence, Kankakee County, Illinois.
In 1880 they were in Manteno, Kankakee County
In 1900 they were in Peotone, and in 1910 William was living in the Herman Meyer household, with their daughter Bertha (Mrs. Herman) Meyer in Will County, Illinois. According to the 1900 census, they had had 5 children, 4 still living in 1900
In these various census records, their name was spelled Vola, Woohler, Wolley and Wollie.
Children of William and Dora Wolle:
- A. Henry Wolle,
- born 3 March 1866 in Hannover, Germany
- died 28 April 1955
- married 8 December 1897 in Will Co., Illinois to
- born 13 November 1870 in Illinois
- died 26 June 1960
In 1900 they were in Peotone, Will County, Illinois, but between 1901 and 1904, according to Iowa newspaper, this family lived in Dickinson County, Iowa. But by 1910, they had returned to Will twp., Will county, Illinois, and were farming there. In 1930 they lived at Route 4, Will County, Illinois. Two daughters:
a. Helen Wolla, born 14 March, 1904 in Iowa, died 17 October 1988, buried in Peotone, Illinois
b. Mabel Wolla, born 8 December 1907 in Illinois, died 7 November 1998, buried in Peotone, Illinois
- B. Lena Wolle, b. abt January 1870 in Illinois
- died 5 June 1929, Cook County, Illinois
- married 31 Mar 1892 in Will County, Illinois, to
Frederick Wendelsdorf, b. abt Oct 1870 in Mecklenburg, Germany
- immigrated 1872, was a painter in Will and Kankakee counties through the 1910 census, later was a decorator in Chicago
Child of Frederick and Lena (Wolle) Wendelsdorf:
a. Chester Wendelsdorf, born 26 Apr 1897 in Peotone, Will, Illinois, became a dentist in Chicago
- died November 1966
- married abt 1912 to Mary ---, born about 1897 in Illinois. Two known children, Claude and Wayne:
- C. William Wolla, Jr.
- born 1 February 1876 in Illinois
- died 27 April 1956 in Indiana
- married about 1910 to Pauline Scherr, born about 1890 in Illinois, died 28 April 1944 in Indiana
In 1900 this family lived in Peotone, Will County, Illinois
In 1920 they were in Will, Will County, Illinois, next door to Henry Wolle
In 1930 they were in Pleasant, La Porte County, Indiana, where he farmed. Children:
a. Lucille H. Wolla, born 17 November 1911 in Peotone, Illinois, died 13 March 2004 in LaPorte, Indiana; married 25 January 1936 to LeRoy Werner. Three children.
b. Marvin Wolla, born 30 December 1913 in Illinois, died 14 January 1998 in Texas; married Emma Ludzinski. Three children
c. Living Wolla, born about 1918 in Illinois; married LaVerne Pieplow. Three children
- D. Katharine Dorothea "Bertha" Wolle
- born 01 Nov 1878 in Illinois
- baptized at Zion Lutheran, Grant Park, Kankakee County, Illinois. Her sponsors were Maria Meier, Kath. Wolle and Dor. Schulze
- married about 1899 to
Herman Meyer, born Oct 1872 in Illinois
This family was in Will County, Illinois, in the 1900-1930 censuses.
Children of Herman and Bertha Meyer:
a. Maretta Meyer, b February 1900
b. Beulah Meyer, b about 1902
c. Darlene Meyer, b about 1905
d. Annabell Meyer, b about 1907
e. Clyde Meyer, b about 1909
NOTE: Entries from a privately published booklet "Necrology of Peotone, Will Co., Illinois, Residents, Relatives and Friends" include these names:
Henry, 14 Nov 1836-15 Nov 1870
Henry W., 12 Aug 1807-7 Mar 1880
Henry, 3 Mar 1866-28 Apr 1955
William, 1 Feb 1876-27 Apr 1956
Mrs. Henry, 13 Nov 1870-26 Jun 1960
William, 20 Mar 1830-7 Feb 1919
Dorothea, 28 Mar 1842-21 Jun 1904
So it seems that some of our WOLLE relatives used the spelling WOLLA.
- 8. Margaretha "Elisabeth" Wolle,
- born 13 July 1832, Altenebstorf, Hannover
- married 12 April 1863, Ebstorf, to
Heinrich "Christoph" Grobe Rieckmann See RIECKMANN family
- 9. Johann Heinrich Wolle,
- born 12 Nov 1834 in Altenebstorf, Hannover, Germany
- baptized 16 Nov 1834, Ebstorf
- died 29 Mar 1836 in Altenebstorf
- 10. Heinrich "Christopher" Wolle,
- born 7 Jan 1837 in Altenebstorf, Hannover, Germany
- baptized 15 Jan 1837, Ebstorf
- died 30 Jan 1900 in Dickenson County, Iowa. Tombstone
- married Katharine Marie Elisabeth Schnelle,
- born 24 Dec 1848 in Melzingen, Uelzen, Hannover, Germany, Tombstone
- died 1918, Dickinson County, Iowa
This family lived in Kankakee County, Illinois in 1880, then moved to Dickinson County, Iowa, in about 1885
CHILDREN of Christopher and Katharine Wolle:
- A. Minnie Wolle, born 5 August 1871 in Peotone, Illinos
- died 11 March 1911 at Giffen, Sask., Canada
- married about 1888 to Cooper G. Blow, born abt February 1857 in Canada
This family ranched in Sterling, North Dakota, and about 1906 moved to Canada where Cooper was a merchant. Children:
a. Earl W. Blow, born September 1889 in Iowa; in 1911 was a clerk in Griffin, Saskatchewan, Canada.
b. Keith William Blow, born about August 1895 in Iowa, died 23 February 1960 in Dallas County, Texas
c. Kenneth Blow, born November 1907 in Weyburn, Canada, immigrated 14 July 1914 from Canada to US, through Northgate, North Dakota; in 1920 was in Orton, Wadena, Minnesota.
- B. Emma Wolle, born 24 June 1872, Will County, Illinois
- died 28 July 1948, buried Terril, Iowa; Tombstone
- married 12 November 1902 in Dickinson County, Iowa, to
Peter Brown, born 22 March 1861 in Denmark/Germany, immigrated 1883
- died 20 December 1930. Emma and Peter Brown are buried in Fairview Cemetery, Dickinson County, Iowa. CHILDREN:
a. Minnie K. Brown, born 5 September 1903 in Iowa, died July 1984, having lived in Sioux Falls, South Dakota; married about 1922 to Adrian John Clark. Two children.
b. Clarence P. Brown, born 24 June 1905 in Iowa, died September 1984, having lived in Milford, Iowa; married Gladyne Chaffin. Two children
c. Mabelle Louise Brown, born 15 September 1906 in Iowa, died 16 June 1980, having lived at Terril, Iowa; married about 1926 to Herbert Howard Griffin. Two children.
- C. Rose Martha Wolle, born 27 August 1874 in Illinois
- died 17 January 1953
- married 5 May 1897, Dickinson County, Iowa, to
Allan Vinton Edmunds, born 12 January 1867 in Iowa
- died 17 January 1939
a. Lillian Emma Edmunds, born 7 March 1898 in Terril, Iowa, died 28 February 1970 in Mankato, Blue Earth, Minnesota; married 29 August 1922 to Erwin Herbert Metag.
b. Howard Earl Edmunds, born 2 September 1899 in Terril, Iowa, 28 August 1988 in Minnesota; married 25 September 1924 to Adele Roed
c. Steven Christopher Edmunds, born 19 September 1901 in Terril, Iowa, died 31 January 1973 in Yellow Medicine County, Minnesota; married 25 Juen 1931 to Gladys Juliann Johnson.
d. James Henry Edmunds, born 5 January 1910 in Boyd, Lac Qui Parle, Minnesota, died 1 June 1978 in Washington; married --- Judkins
e. Harry V. Edmunds, born 26 March 1911 in Minnesota, died 11 April 1975 in Hennepin County, Minnesota; married --- Nordli
- D. Christopher Herman Wolle, born November 1877 in Illinois
- died 29 March 1945, Oxford Michigan
- married 6 March 1901 in Little Rock, Lyon, Iowa, to
Ruby Olive Emerson, born 27 December 1880 in Eldora, Hardin, Iowa
- died 25 January 1963 in Leonard, Michigan. CHILDREN:
a. Jessie Ruth Wolle, born 10 January 1902 in Iowa, died 24 January 1986, having lived in Addison, Michigan; married 10 April 1932 in Faulkton, Faulk, South Dakota to Orlando Lerew.
B. Letha Adelle Wolle, born 20 May 1903 in Iowa, died Sep 1995, having lived in Glendale, Arizona; married 17 August 1937 to Alvah Graham who was an 1930 auto worker in Pontiac, Michigan
C. Ruby Minnie Wolle, born 1 December 1905 in Bellingham, Minnesota, died 20 October 1995, having lived in Mellette, Spink Co., South Dakota; married 8 June 1930 to Kenneth Lerew
D. Chriss Hugh Wolle, born 2 November 1908 in Bellingham, LacquiParle, Minnesota, died 19 October 1989 in Pontiac, Oakland, Michigan; married 13 June 1931
- E. Mary Ann Wolle, born 27 October 1880 in Peotone, Illinois
- died 2 July 1961 in Nimrod, Minnesota
- married 25 Dec 1901 in Milford, Dickinson, Iowa to
Henry Eder, born 25 January 1874 in Washington County, Minnesota
- died 10 May 1956 in Wadena County, Minnesota
Henry and Mary Ann Eder raised two foster children and had one biological child
a. Chester Henry Shell, born 23 April 1900 in Minnesota
b. Lottie Shell, born 26 November 1904 in Minnesota
c. Harley F. Eder, born 14 February 1905 in Minnesota, died 20 January 1992 in Saint Louis County, Minnesota; married 25 December 1937 to Florence E. Carey or Cooper
- F. Herman C. Wolle, born May 1884 in Illinois, died 30 December 1915, buried Terril, Dickinson County, Iowa. Tombstone
© 2009 MJH