Back to Our Family
1837 - 1913
August Heinrich Eduard Schukar, son of
Peter & Henrietta (Grawunder)
- born 5 Aug 1837, Bernickow, Brandenburg, bapt. 27 Aug 1837, Bernickow,
- immigrated 1852, from Hamburg on the ship Julie, arriving in New York on 25 May 1852
- 1852 to about 1865, lived in Dodge County, Wisconsin
- about 1865 to about 1888, lived in Fayette County, Illinois
- naturalized 5 June 1868, Fayette County, Illinois
- about 1888 to about 1892, lived in Buffalo County, Nebraska
- 1900 census, lived in Wharton County, Texas
- 1910 census, lived in Evansville, Vanderburgh County, Indiana
- died 5 December 1913, Evansville, Indiana, buried Evansville, Indiana, Lutheran Cemetery
- married 18 December 1862, Immanuel, "River Church,"
Dodge County, Wisconsin
Bertha Emilie Peterman,
daughter of Johann & Wilhelmine (Schwandt) Petermann
- born 22 January 1846, Prussia
- immigrated about 1857
- 1920 census, widowed, living with Gus & Ida Wollenschlager
in Waverly, Bremer County, Iowa
- died 26 May 1927, Waverly, Iowa, or Brighton, Colorado
- buried Evansville, Indiana, Lutheran Cemetery
August's signature from an 1883 document in Fayette County, Illinois.
- Edward Schukar b. 2 February 1864
- Carl F. Schukar b. 8 March 1865, married Anna Fellwock
- Herman Otto Schukar b. 25 March 1866
- Louisa Schukar b. About 1867
- Clara Augusta Schukar
b. 10 April 1869, married William Fellwock
- Ida Schukar b. August 1870, married Gus. Wollenschlager July 2008
- Frederick W. Schukar b. 1872 December 2007
- William F Schukar b. 9 December 1873, married Minnie Mein December 2007
- John August Schukar b. 14 July 1875, married 1.) Nella Partridge and 2.) Christine Jaegler
- Louisa Schukar b. November 1877, married Mr. Kleinmeyer December 2007
- Frank Schukar b. 30 March 1880, married Johanna Bergstraesser December 2007
- Robert Schukar b. February 1882 December 2007
Our Family | Schukar Ancestors | Peter
- Edward Schukar,
- born 2 February 1864, Dodge County, Wisconsin
- confirmed 21 March 1880, Immanuel Lutheran, Fayette County, Illinois
His name appears on baptism records at Immanuel, Buffalo County,
Nebraska, in 1893, when he was a god-parent for Hellene Wollenschlager.
- married about 1900 to Emilie ---.
- 1910 and 1920 census, Dairy farmer in Rusk County,
- 1930 census, Edward and Emilie Schukar living with daughter
Agnes and son-in-law James Petras, Flambeau, Rusk County,
- Lena Schukar, born 5 July 1901, Iowa
- died March 1980, in Eau Claire, Wisconsin
- married about 1924 to Henry Glenz, dairy
farmer in Eau Claire County, Wisconsin
Had one daughter at the time of the 1930 census.
- Agnes Schukar, born 28 July 1904, Iowa
- confirmed 5 October 1919, Hope Lutheran Church, Ladysmith, Rusk
- died October 1982, having resided at Ladysmith, Rusk County,
- married about 1928 to
- James Petras, born 16 September 1904,
- died July 1967, having resided at Ladysmith, Rusk County,
- 1930 census, dairy farmer in Rusk County, Wisconsin
- Carl Friedrich Schukar, born 8 March 1865
Dodge County, Wisconsin
- baptized 26 March 1865, sponsors: Carl Schwan, Fr. Schukar,
- died 17 November 1943 Clarksville, Butler County, Iowa
- married 8 April 1894, Fayette County, Illinois
Anna Agnes Fellwock, daughter of
William E. Fellwock
& Anna Rosena Jesse/Gesse
- born 18 April 1873 St. Paul, Fayette County, Illinois
- died 30 December 1952 Waverly, Bremer County, Iowa
Carl served in France in WW I. He and Anna lived near Storm Lake, IA., from 1899 until 1905 when they moved to the Plainfield-Clarksville area. They lived for awhile with their daughter Johanna Kahle in Plainfield, then moved into Clarksville. Carl died there; Anna died while living with the Kahle family in Waverly.
- August Frederick Schukar,
- born 19 January 1895, Fayette County, Illinois
- died 11 April 1976, Waverly, Bremer County, Iowa
- buried Plainfield, Bremer County, Iowa, Willow Lawn Cemetery
- married 1 January 1920
Frieda Kahle, daughter of Henry and Alvina (Hoppenworth) Kahle
- born 8 February 1899
- died November 1969, having resided in Plainfield, Bremer County, Iowa
- Arthur Charles Henry Schukar,
- born 06 May 1922, Clarksville, Butler County, Iowa
- died 13 February 2004, Sandpoint, Bonner County, Idaho
- married Living Schafer. Two children
- Gertrude Marie Schukar, born 6 August 1927, Fonda, Pocahontas County, Iowa
- died 22 December 2006, having lived in Plainview, Iowa
- married 13 March 1947, Nashua, Chickasaw County, Iowa, to Leon Huggard. Three children
- Bertha Schukar,
- born 5 February 1897, Illinois
- died 12 October 1984 Vancouver, Washington
- married 27 February 1925, Grand Rapids, Wood County, Wisconsin,
Henry Nuhring, born 5 November 1895 or 11 May
- died 29 June 1962, Vancouver, Clark County, Washington
Bertha and Henry are both buried Vancouver, Washington, Evergreen
They had four children.
- Johanna (Anna J.) Schukar,
- born 5 April 1899, Sulphur Springs, Buena Vista County,
- baptized 14 July 1899, Lytton, Calhoun County, Iowa
- died 21 November 1984, Waverly, Bremer, Iowa
- married 27 February 1925, Grand Rapids, Wood County,
Ewald Kahle, son of Henry and Alvina
- born 29 September 1901, Bremer County, IA
- died 4 October 1947 Waterloo, Black Hawk County, Iowa, buried
- George Frank Schukar
- born 24 March 1901, Storm Lake, Buena Vista County, Iowa
- died 3 September 1968, Wisconsin Rapids, Wood County,
- married about 1928 to
Della ---, 18 October 1907, Wisconsin
- died September 1984, having lived at Wisconsin Rapids, Wood
- Otto Adolph Schukar, born 19 March 1903, Iowa
Otto moved away, and the family lost track of him. In 1934 he come from California and visited relatives in Iowa. That was the last contact.
- TWIN Gustav Rudolph Schukar,
- born 7 February 1906, Iowa, died 3 April 1906
- TWIN Albert Schukar,
- born 7 February 1906, Iowa, died 8 April 1906
- Edward E. Schukar,
- born 21 August 1907, Iowa, died 22 April 1908
- Herman Otto Schukar, born 25 March 1866,
Dodge County, Wisconsin.
- baptized 4 April 1866, sponsors: Henry ___, Herman Christian,
The only record we have of this child is in church records at
Immanuel, "River Church," Dodge County, Wisconsin.
- Louisa Schukar, born about 1867,
Apparently died as a child. She was included with the family in
the 1870 Fayette County, Illinois, census.
- Clara Augusta Schukar, born 10 April 1869, Wilberton Township, Fayette County, Illinois
- baptized 2 May 1869, confirmed 18 March 1883, Immanuel Lutheran, Augburg, Fayyette County, Illinois
- died 1947, buried Evansville, Vanderburgh County, Indiana, Lutheran Cemetery
- married 23 September 1888, Fayette County, Illinois, to
William Ernst Fellwock
- Ida Schukar, born 17 August 1870, Fayette County, Illinois
- died 11 September 1943, Los Angeles, Los Angeles County, California
- married about September 1891, to
Gustav Wollenschlager, son of Michael Wollenschlager & Wilhelmine Schwertz
- born February 1861, Germany
- immigrated about 1873
- died 1939 Brighton, Adams, Colorado
At the time of the 1900 census, they lived in Wharton County, Texas
- 1910 census: Butler County, Iowa
- 1920 census: Waverly, Bremer County, Iowa
- 1930 census: Brighton, Adams County, Colorado
They lived on a "dry farm" in Colorado. They were both described as short people.
Photo of two Wollenschlager daughters. Can you identify them?
Page of photos of the Wollenschlager and Droste families
- Benjamin Wollenschlager, born 2 April 1890, apparently died before 1900
- Helene Ottilie Franziska Wollenschlager, born 30 June 1893, Beatrice, Gage County, Nebraska
- baptized 6 August 1893, Buffalo County, Nebraska, Immanuel Lutheran Church. Sponsors: Edward Schukar (son of August), Emma Schukar (daughter of Fred), and Franziska Wollenschlager Johannes (Jones)
- died May 1980, having lived in Bremer County, Iowa
- married 9 June 1915
William Henry Droste, son of Henry Droste and Charlotte Ackmann
- born 8 January 1891 Waverly, Bremer, Iowa
- died 3 October 1979 Waverly, Bremer, Iowa, buried Waverly, Iowa, St. Paul's Cem.
- Warner Bernard Arthur Droste, born 5 July 1916, Iowa
- died 26 June 2004, having lived in Bremer County, Iowa
- married 1) 19 February 1937, Minneapolis, Minnesota, to
Florine Grace Moeller, born 27 March 1919. Four children.
Warner married 2) 1971, Mason City, Iowa, to Helen Marie Tribon Lovell
- Melvin Albert "Al" Droste, born 18 August 1921, Waverly, Bremer County, Iowa
- died 17 July 2002, having lived at Lakeview, Baxter County, Arkansas
- married 1) 16 May 1946, Waverly, Iowa, to Avis Larayne Tasa
- married 2) 25 May 1965, Fairbanks, Alaska, to Travis Lee Hoover
- Johanna Wollenschlager, born April 1896, Texas
- married Albert Droste
- 1920 census Albert and Johanna were in Iowa
- 1930 census, Johanna was in Fruitvale, Mesa County, Colorado (John Fitzmeier is a possible second husband)
- Bernard Hugo Wollenschlager, born 02 April 1897 in Texas
- census 1920 in Waverly, Bremer, Iowa
- occupation 1930 Painter, Brighton, Colorado
- died 9 March 1946 in Los Angeles County, California
In the California Death Index, he is listed as Bernard Wollenshlager
- Ann Wollenschlager, born 30 December 1900
- married George Means.
- Emma Wollenschlager,
- born 11 March 1903, died December 1981
- married Mr. Danforth. Emma died in Florida while living with her daughter.
- Frederick Schukar, born 1872, Fayette County, Illinois
- died 22 September 1964, probably in Canada
- buried at Bulwark, Alberta, Canada, in the Bulwark Cemetery
Fred homesteaded near Bulwark, Alberta, Canada, in 1905. In 1906 he returned with his brother, Robert, who filed on the quarter adjoining. They then built a sod shack with a shingled roof halfway on the dividing line and thus conveniently solved the residence requirements for the two quarters. An Iowa City newspaper
article in January, 1959, told of Fred's visit to his brother William in Iowa. At that time, Fred and William were the only living children of August and Bertha Schukar. Fred never married. Also see Neumann article for more information about Fred's life
- William Frederick Schukar,
- born 9 December 1873, Fayette County, Illinois
- died 3 January 1965, Iowa City, Iowa
- married 15 May 1900, Port Washington, Wisconsin
Minnie Helena Meins, daughter of Henry Meins
- born 22 January 1874, Port Washington, Wisconsin
- died 8 January 1959, Iowa City, Iowa
William told his son-in-law Charles Forsen that they were a part of land drive into Okla., but no more land available, so moved on to Texas; they spent one winter there, then came back north in the spring. He said he left home for good at age 16, or about 1890. His obituary says he came to Iowa in 1909, lived first in Waverly, moved to Tipton, and then to Iowa City in 1921 so that his son Emmeran, a polio victim, could receive care and treatment at Iowa University Hospital there. Newspaper article about his reunion with his brother Fred in 1959.
- Alfred William Schukar,
- born 21 December 1901, Port Washington, Wisconsin
- died 21 June 1984, North Bloomfield, Ohio, buried Greene, Ohio,
- married (1) Mary Catharine Brown,
- born 11 December 1905, died 23 May 1947, Cleveland, Ohio
- married (2) Ruth ___ ,
Alfred and Mary had one son and one daughter.
- Lillian Mary Frances Schukar,
- born 21 May 1903, Port Washington, Wisconsin
- died 21 June 1991, having lived in Iowa City, Johnson County, Iowa
- married 1 February 1932, to
Gustav Louis Lindemann, born 19 August 1904, Iowa City, Iowa
- died 16 February 1994, having lived in Iowa City, Iowa
They had two sons and a daughter.
- Arnold Frederick Schukar,
- born 13 December 1905, Port Washington, Wisconsin,
- died November 1987, having lived in Durant, Cedar County, Iowa
- married 07 May 1932 to
Valborg "Bobbie" Jensen, born 25 July 1914, died 28 September 1997
They had three daughters.
- Emmeran Henry Schukar, born 28 July 1907
- died 14 February 1992. Never married.
- Clara Theresa Schukar, born 21 April 1909
- married 1929 to
William Nerad born 2 February 1902, Iowa City, Iowa,
- died 1982, Iowa City, Iowa
They had one son.
- Elsie Eva Schukar, born 02 May 1915, Waverly, Iowa
- married 22 Apr 1937, Iowa City, Iowa
Charles Raymond Forsen born 20 Mar 1910, Rockwell City, Iowa
- died 16 March 2005, having resided in Wichita, Kansas
They had one son and one daughter.
- Wendell Emil Schukar, born 30 June 1918, Waverly, Iowa
- married 12 January 1947, Davenport, Iowa to
Betty Ann Johansen
They had a daughter and three sons.
- John August Schukar, born 14 July 1875
Fayette County, Illinois
- confirmed, 1888, in Illinois
- died 10 April 1942
- married 1) 12 June 1907, Lincoln County, Oklahoma, to
Nella B. Partridge, daughter of George W. &
Mary C. (Bogard) Partridge Photo of Nella and her
- born 4 January 1892, Texas
- died 13 May 1908, Lincoln County, Oklahoma, in childbirth with
their first child, who also died
- buried Immanuel Lutheran Cemetery, Lincoln County, Oklahoma
John married 2) 6 January 1910, to
- born 16 December 1890, in Nebraska
- died 26 March 1979, Fort Collins, Larimer County, Colorado
- Esther Schukar, born 27 March 1911, Avery, Colorado
- died 24 January 1993, having lived in Fort Collins, Colorado
- married 21 July 1979 to
Maurice West, born 2 October, 1909, died 29 July 2002, having lived in Fort Collins, Colorado.li>
- Robert Schukar,
- born 31 October 1912, Brighton, Adams County, Colorado
- died 18 October 1970, Torrance, Los Angeles County, California
- married: 1938, to Virginia Sloan, born 22 March 1918, died 26 May 2005, having lived in Ukiah, California.
They had 2 daughters.
- Helen Schukar,
- born 17 July 1914, Waverly, Iowa
- died 27 April 2001, having lived in Parker, Douglas County, Colorado
- married Lloyd Greenwalt, born 11 March 1917
died in May 1985, having lived in Fort Collins, Larimer County, Colorado.
- Hilda Schukar, born 4 July 1916, Waverly, Bermer County, Iowa
- died 15 October 1997, having lived in Fort Collins, Larimer, Colorado
- married Virgil Brenneman, born 13 October 1914, died 11 September, 1990
- Arthur "Archie" J. Schukar, born 25 May 1918, Foraker, Oklahoma
- died 19 February 2001, having lived in Redding, California
- married Ruth Ewing.
They had one son and one daughter.
- Elmer Oliver Schukar,
- born 14 September 1918 or 1919, Newkirk, Oklahoma
- died 26 December 1964, Ft. Collins, Larimer, Colorado
- married Florence Stroh.
They had 2 sons.
- Louise Schukar,
- born November 1877, Fayette County, Illinois, confirmed 1893, Immanuel Lutheran, Amherst, Nebraska
- died 17 July 1956, probably in Canada
- buried Bulwark, Alberta, Canada, in the Bulwark Cemetery
- married Mr. Kleinmeyer.
Louisa lived in Iowa with her husband, (perhaps named Edward.) She moved to Canada with her two children in 1918, and lived first with her brothers Fred and Robert near Bulwark. She also lived in Leduc, Castor, and Sullivan Lake. In 1929 the family again returned to Bulwark. Also see Neumann article for more
information about Louise's life in Canada.
- Gertrude Mary Rose Kleinmeyer, born about 1912 in Iowa
- married 3 March 1931 in Canada to Julius Neuman
- Arthur Kleinmeyer, born about 1915 in Iowa.
- Frank Schukar See Some Memories of Frank
- born 30 March 1880, Fayette County, Illinois
- died 23 March 1949, Irving, Dallas, Texas
- married 22 March 1906
Johanna Bergstraesser, daughter of Rev. Karl
Bergstraesser & Emma Lhotsky
- born 1 October 1875, Germany
- died 22 May 1970, Tallahassee, Florida
Frank liked Texas, and returned there in his later years. He
lived at what is now Schukar Court, Irving, Texas.
- Dorothea Clara Schukar, born 1 March 1907, Lincoln, Nebraska
- died 20 July 2006, having lived in Atkinson, Holt County,
- married 25 August 1929, Auburn, Nebraska, to
Gustav Rohrs, son of Henry Rohrs & Emma
- born 5 May 1900, Rohrs, Nebraska
- died 11 March 1985, having lived in Atkinson, Nebraska
They had a son and 2 daughters.
- Madeline Martha Schukar, born 24 September 1908, Byron, Nebraska
- married Robert Jordan Boyer, died 24 May
They had one daughter.
- Maria Johanna Otellia Schukar. born 20 October 1910, Byron, Nebraska
- died 31 August 1980, Tallahassee, Florida
- married 17 September 1937, Los Angeles, California
Harley F. McCulley, died 1986.
They had 3 daughters.
- Gertrude Emma Schukar, born 22 April 1912, Byron, Nebraska
- lived in California and Texas. Never married.
- Herbert Gerhardt Schukar,
- born 9 December 1914, Byron, Thayer, Nebraska
- died 26 February 1999, Irving, Texas
- married 08 May 1942, Arlington, Texas
LaVerne Brown, daughter of Levi Brown &
- born 25 August 1914, Trousdale, Oklahoma
- died 02 August 2002, Irving, Texas
They had 1 daughter and 1 son.
- George John Schukar , born 26 October 1916
- married 30 October 1949, Chester, Nebraska
Rosa Rossmiller, born 24 December 1919, Chester, Nebraska
- died 27 October 2000, Lincoln, Nebraska
They had 2 sons and a daughter.
- Robert Schukar, born Feb 1882, Fayette County, Illinois.
- died 30 September 1957, Canada
- buried Bulwark, Alberta, Canada, in the Bulwark Cemetery
Robert moved to Canada in 1906 and homesteaded next to his brother Fred,
near Bulwark, Alberta, Canada. Never married. Also see Neumann
article for more information about Robert's life
Layout and HTML coding © 1999 - 2008 MJH