Back to Our Family
CARL SASSE, born 1913
Carl Fr. Sasse was the youngest brother in the Martin and Rebecca (Loest) Sasse family. One of his sisters, Henrietta Fellwock, had come to the US in 1844, and another brother and sister came in 1846. Carl came a couple years later. In all, at least five siblings in the family immigrated to the US. They all went first to Dodge County, Wisconsin, and most of them subsequently moved to Fayette County, Illinois. The three sisters died in Wisconsin; Carl and his brother Michael died in Illinois.
Carl Friedrich Sasse
- born 4 August 1813, baptized 15 August 1813, Nahausen, Brandenburg, Prussia
- died 9 February 1889, buried Fayette County, Illinois, Immanuel Lutheran, (Augsburg)
- married (1) Sophia Breitag born 13 Oct 1830, died about 1869
- married (2) 14 December 1870, Wilberton Twp., Fayette County, Illinois, to
Dorothea Maria Mueller, born 30 Mar 1823 in Nahausen, Brandenburg, Prussia
- died 12 May 1886, buried in St. Paul, Fayette, Illinois
widow of Michael Oertwig
Carl landed at Buffalo N.Y., July 1847, applied for citizenship in Wisconsin, 29 October 1852, naturalized 24 October 1868, Fayette Co., Illinois. At the time of the 1870 census, Carl was in Fayette Co., Illinois, widowed, and the children Louise, Carl, Frederick, and Maria were living with him. The baby August (born about 1868), was, I suspect, living with Henry and Bertha (Fellwock) Drewes. Later that same year, Carl married Dorothea (Muelller) Oertwig, who had been widowed in October 1869.
CHILDREN of CARL and SOPHIA BREITAG SASSE
- Louise Sasse, born 20 Aug 1857 in Wisconsin
- married 24 Jun 1877 (or 23 Jun 1874) in Fayette County, Illinois, to
William Carl August Beyer, born 12 Feb 1851 in Dodge County, Wisconsin
- died 18 Apr 1926 in Beaver Dam, Dodge, Wisconsin
William Beyer's obituary, from the Mayville, Wisconsin, newspaper:
Word was received here that Wm. Beyer, aged 75 years, passed away in death at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Edward Lueck at Beaver Dam, Sunday afternoon at 5:45, following a week's illness with pneumonia. Mr. Beyer was born Feb 12th, 1851 near this city and lived in this neighborhood for many years. On June 12th, 1874, he was united in marriage to Miss Louise Sasse of this city, who survives him. After their marriage the young couple lived in Illinois for a few years, and then returned to Dodge county, residing in Willimstown, Oak Grove and Trenton and finally in Beaver Dam. Besides the widow he is survived by five daughters and three sons. Thirty grandchildren and two great-grandchildren also survive. Funeral services will be held this afternoon from the late home and St Stephen's Lutheran church at Beaver Dam. The services will be conducted by Rev. Lorenz of Trenton and interment will be in the Beaver Dam cemetery.
Children of Louise Sasse and William Beyer:
- Emma Martha Beyer, born 12 Apr 1878 in Fayette County, Illinois
- Hulda (Hillamie?) Beyer, born March 1880 in Fayette County, Illinois.
- Gustav Beyer, born October 1885, Illinois
- Bernard Emil Beyer, born 19 Jun 1887, Fayette County, Illinois
- worked as a cheesemaker in Fond du Lac and Oconto counties, Wisconsin
- married about 1912 to Hattie --- born about 1892 in Germany
Children include: Esther Beyer, William Beyer, and Alfred Beyer.
- Frederick Beyer, born January 1890, Wisconsin
- Anna Beyer, born March 1892 (??)
- Lydia Ernestine Amanda Beyer, born 19 Sep 1892 in Dodge County, Wisconsin.
- Carl Gottlob Sasse, born 08 May 1859 in Dodge County, Wisconsin
- Frederick Wilhelm Sasse, born 25 Mar 1861 in Dodge County, Wisconsin
- lived in Kaskaskia, Fayette county, Illinois
- married 30 Oct 1892, Fayette County, Illinois, to
Emma A. Sessions, daughter of William Sessions and Mary Wilkens
- born Jan 1872 in Bond County, Illinois
- Rachel Sasse, born Nov 1896 in Illinois
- Maria Ernestine Sasse, born 21 May 1865 in Dodge County, Wisconsin
- 1880 census, living with the Beyer family (her older sister and brother-in- law.)
- married Gustav Grahl.
- Laura Louise Grahl, born 3 Feb 1886 in Missouri
- died 14 Feb 1980 in San Francisco, California
- married Mr. Cadwell.
- August Sasse, born 1868. Received $10 through his father's will.
- 1880 census, living with Henry Drewes in 1880, servant, Wilberton Twp. I suspect he was only a infant when his mother died, and that he was taken in by Henry and Bertha Drewes, and raised by them. In the 1870 census, they have a child named August, who presumably is the same one who in 1880 is listed as August Sasse.
Back to Sasse Ancestors | Our Family | Nahausen Families
Layout and HTML coding © 1999-2005 MJH
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids