Back to Our Family
Carl Rusch & Sophie Prief
From various records, we learn that Carl and Sophie RUSCH lived and/or attended church in a number of different villages in the area surrounding Schivelbein, Kr. Belgard, Pommern, now Schivelbein, Poland. We visited many of these villages in July, 2002, and took many photos:
Balsdrey / Bialy ZdrojCarl Rusch - lived at Ziezeneff, now Ciezeniewo, Province Koszalinskie, Poland.
Grössin / Krosino
Gumtow / Chometowo
Heyde / Modrzewice
Kussenow / Koszanowo
Schivelbein / Swidwin
Simmatzig / Smardzko
Venzlaffshagen / Wieclaw
Ziezeneff / Cieszeniewo
- - -Link to a 1984 photo of the church in Ziezeneff.
- died about 1869 in a sand or gravel pit accident, Schivelbein, Pomerania, now Swidwin
- married Louisa "Sophie" Priebe (Prief / Priewe/ Brebe)
- born 1 or 29 January 1818, Gumtow, Pommern, now Chometowo.
- died 29 April 1879, Johnson County, Nebr.
Sophia married (2) Herman Voelz. They lived in Heyde, (now Modrzewice, Poland) and then came to the US on the S. S. Mosel in April 1878. Her son Herman Rusch was the first of the family to emigrate, and he lived for awhile in the Chicago area before moving to southern Johnson County, Nebraska.
Sophie died the same day that her daughter and son-in-law Augusta and Fred Labs arrived in New York from Pommern, in April of 1879.
Sophie's tombstone was broken and lying in the ground when I first saw it in the 1980's. Her great-grandson Rueben Labs had a new one placed at the same site in the Salem's Cemetery near Steinaur, northern Pawnee County, Nebraska. Herman Voelz's grave is also there.
Photo of original tombstone
CHILDREN of CARL RUSCH and SOPHIE PRIEF
I. Albert Friedriech August Rusch
- born 9 August 1846 at Kussenow, Kreis Schivelbein, Prussia
- died 19 November 1903
- married Emilia Hassee, born 27 November 1852
- died 4 November 1924.
Remained in Germany. In 1878 he lived at Bredow (now part of the city of Stettin.)
Presumed to be this family. Date unknown.
The photo is from Wilh. Vollmer, Photogr. Atelier, Züllchow (Stettin) Chausseeste. 47
Click on image to see the full size photo.
- Emma Rusch. Lived in territory taken by the Russians after WW II; not heard from since.
- Emil Rusch, born 26 January 1880, Zuellchow, Kreis Randow, Pommern
- died 17 July 1925, Hamburg, Germany
- married Clara Kackel, born 27 November 1879
- died 27 February 1945
The first of the family to move to Hamburg, Emil was a police captain there
- Albert Emil Johannes Rusch, born 04 February 1904, Hamburg, Germany
- died 1970 in Hamburg
- married Gertrud Henze, born 26 August 1904, died 1988
- Karl Rusch, lived in Bavaria
- George Rusch Horticulturist. Killed in WWI.
Is this another Rusch family? The photographer was Atelier Ideal in Hamburg. Date unknown.
Click on image to see the full photo.
II. Herman Edwardt Fullgus Rusch
- born 18 November 1850, Schivelbein, Pommern, Prussia
- died 17 May 1907, Johnson County, Nebraska
- buried 20 May 1907, Steinauer, Pawnee County, Nebraska, Salem's Cemetery
- married (1) 29 January 1882, Steinauer, Nebr., Salem Church
Julianna (Barbara J.) Hoffman
- born 28 January 1861, Freeport, Illinois
- died 26 June 1896, Johnson County, Nebraska
Herman married (2) 22 December 1896 Steinauer, Nebr., Salem's Church
- born September 1861, Germany.
Herman was the first of his family to come to the US, in 1872. He lived first in the Chicago area, then moved to south-east Nebraska.
(Information from Mrs. Janet Rusch Farquhar and other sources.)
- Anna Margaret Johanna Rusch, - born 13 December 1883, Johnson County, Nebraska
- died 14 February 1978, Syracuse, Otoe, Nebraska
- married 12 February 1908, Steinauer, Nebr., Salem's Church,
William Katz, born October 1877, Bern, Nemaha, Kansas
- died 3 May 1972, buried Tecumseh Cemetery, Johnson County, Nebraska
- Wilbert F. Katz, born 10 February 1909, Nebraska
- died 10 September 2002, having lived in Auburn, Nemaha County, Nebraska
- married 1) 12 November 1944 to
Maxine L. Wigginton, born 24 February 1922
Children include one daughter
Wilbert married 2) 27 September 1968 to
Madge Ruth Parker, born 13 March 1917
- died 28 February 2001, having lived at Elk Creek, Johnson County, Nebraska
- Lorena Louise Katz, born 1 February 1915
- married 12 February 1956 to Melvin Beethe, born 5 July 1913
Melvin died 17 July 2003, having lived in Cook, Johnson County, Illinois
- Louise Charlothe Kunigunde Rusch, born 28 June 1886, Tecumseh, Nebr.
- died 28 July 1977, Kearney, Buffalo, Nebraska
- married 8 January 1910, Steinauer, Nebr., Salem's Church,
George Maul, son of John L Maul & Katarina Prottengeier
- born 24 January 1888, died 21 June 1974 Amherst, Buffalo county, Nebr.
Both are buried at Old Stanley Cemetery, Amherst, Nebraska
They had six children. See George Maul Family.
- Hedwig "Hettie" Carolina Rusch, - born 10 January 1888, Johnson County, Nebraska
- died 14 February 1967, Tecumseh, Johnson, Nebraska
- married (1) 5 May 1909, Steinauer, Nebr., Salem's Church,
Henry Fred Brockmeier, born 03 August 1885, Germany
- died 21 January 1923
Hettie married (2) 7 September 1927 Johnson Co., Nebr., St. Paul's Ev. & Reformed Church,
John Leuenberger, born about 1876, Switzerland
- immigrated 1885
- died 28 April 1962.
Hettie and both husbands are buried at Maple Grove Cemetery, next to St. Paul's Church, Johnson Co., Nebraska
Children of Hettie and Henry Brockmeier include
- Clarence Brockmeier, born 23 Jun 1911, Nebraska
- died 10 February 1994, having lived at Steinauer, Pawnee County, Nebraska
- Ernest Brockmeier, born about 1916, Nebraska
- Julia Brockmeier, born 1919, Nebraska
- Maria Clara Rusch - born 11 January 1890, Johnson Co., Nebr.
- died 24 June 1972, Tecumseh, Johnson Co., Nebr.
- married 31 January 1912,
Herman George Wagner, born 01 Jan 1889, Talmadge, Otoe County, Nebraska
- died 25 Sep 1966, having lived at Tecumseh, Johnson County, Nebraska
Mary and Herman are buried at Maple Grove Cemetery, St. Paul's Church, Johnson County, Nebraska.
Children of Maria and Herman Wagner include:
- Ruth Wagner, born about 1913, Nebraska
- Loretta Wagner, born about 1915, Nebraska
- Esther Wagner, born about 1917, Nebraska
- Viola Wagner, born about 1919, Nebraska
- Lloyd Wagner, born 1 August 1926, Nebraska, died May 1971, living at Tecumseh, Johnson County, Nebraska
- Herman George Frederick Rusch,
- born 16 October 1894, Johnson Co., Nebr.
- died 30 August 1959, Portland, Oregon,
- buried in Lincoln Memorial Park, Portland, Oregon. - m. (1) 25 February 1918, York, Nebr.
Virginia Estell Detrick
- born 7 August 1899, Berlingon, Coffey Co., Kansas,
- died 30 October 1985, Escondido, San Diego Co., California
- buried in Forest Lawn Memorial Park, Glendale, California.
They had Living Rusch
Herman and Virginia were divorced in 1945 in Portland, Oregon.
Herman married (2) 21 October 1945, Vancouver, Washington,
Eva Waunetta Buck,
- born 25 June 1906, Shelton, Nebr.
- died 26 April 1970, Portland, Oregon,
- buried in Lincoln Memorial Park, Portland, Oregon.
- Emma Elizabeth Rusch, daughter of Herman and Hermina (Weyers) Rusch
- born 7 December 1897, Johnson County, Nebr.
- died 29 October 1961, Lincoln, Nebr.
- married 14 February 1922,
Frank Jeffery, son of Charles and Laura Jeffery
- born about 1901 in Nebraska
- died 31 October 1952.
They had three children at the time of the 1930 census. Emma and Frank are buried in the Crab Orchard Cemetery, Crab Orchard, Johnson County, Nebraska.
III. "Minnie" Caroline Wilhelmine Henrietta Rusch, Photo
- born 19 August 1853, Kussenow, Kreis Schivelbein
- died 16 January 1931, York Co.(?), Nebr.
- buried in Graceland Cemetery, Shelby, Nebr. Tombstone.
- married 6 October 1876, while residing at Simmatzig, Pommern
(1) Carl Gentz, son of Carl Genz & Friedrike Kath,
- born 10 September 1851, Ziezeneff, Kreis Belgard, Pommern
- died 27 September 1880, Nebraska
- married (2) Louis Goetz, born 10 August 1845, Germany
- died 5 July 1906, Shelby, Polk county, Nebraska
Louis Goetz was a butcher in Shelby. According to a newspaper article, he died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
Minnie and Carl Gentz immigrated with their son Julius, her mother and step-father and her brother Carl Rusch in April 1878 on the S. S. Mosel.
- "Jack" Julius Wilhelm Eduard Gentz Goetz
- born 01 September 1877, Heyde, Kreis Belgard, Pommern
- died April 1968, having lived in Shelby, Polk County, Nebraska
- married about 1908 to Rinda ---, born 1873, Nebraska
- died 1964
Jack was a butcher in Shelby for many years. He and Rinda are buried in Graceland Cemetery, Shelby, Polk County, Nebraska.
- Anna Gentz Goetz, born 5 October 1879, Nebraska
- died 9 December 1950 in Napa county, California
- married twice. Second husband was John Healey.
- Minnie C. Goetz
- born 6 November 1883, Nebraska
- died 3 October 1931 York, Nebraska or Atwood, Kansas
- married about 1908 to
Richard Buelow, born 14 June 1878, Wisconsin
- died 18 March 1957
Minnie and Richard are buried in Graceland Cemetery, Polk County, Nebraska
- Madge Buelow, born 1908, Nebraska
- Wallace Buelow, born about 1918, NebraskaAmong the list of graves in the Graceland Cemetery are these:
- Goetz, L., b 8-10-1845; d 7-5-1906
- Goetz, Minnie, b 8-19-1853; d 1-16-1931
- Goetz, J. W., b 1877; d 1968.
- Goetz, Rinda, b 1873; d 1964. (Jack's wife)
- Buelow, Minnie C., b Nov. 6, 1883; d Oct 2, 1931
- Buelow, Richard T., b June 14, 1878; d Mar 18, 1957
IV. Augusta Anna Carolina Rusch, Photo
- born 28 August 1857, Balsdrey, Pommern, now Bialy Zdroj
- died 7 October 1932, Amherst, Nebr.
- married 22 November 1878, Arnhausen, Kreis Belgard, Pommern
Frederick E. Labs
- born 3 August 1854, Heyde, Kreis Belgard, Pommern,
- died 21 August 1942, Webster City, Iowa
See LABS family.
V. Carl Fulgus Ludwig Rusch
- born 10 December 1860, Stettin, Germany
- died 23 Aug 1923 Amherst, Nebr., of stomach cancer.
- married 9 Nov 1886, Buffalo Co., Nebr. Photo
"Maria," Kathrina Maria Dorothea Rieckmann, daughter of Christoph and Elisabeth Rieckmann.
- born 13 October 1866, Ebstorf,
- bapt. 21 October 1866, Ebstorf,
- died 12 October 1905, Amherst, Nebr., of inflammation of the lining of the abdominal cavity.
Both buried at Immanuel Cemetery, Watertown, rural Amherst, Nebr.
After emigrating Carl had first lived in Johnson County, Nebr., then moved to Buffalo Co. in about 1884, and was an early signer of the constitution of Immanuel Lutheran Church. Other mentions of Carl Rusch in the Immanuel Church records:
- named to help audit the church treasury in 1888;
- donated his services to bring two hundred red brick and one barrel of chalk from Kearney in 1888;
- elected treasurer in 1891;
- elected to office in 1893, 1894, 1895, 1896, 1899 (secretary), and 1900.
Mrs. Rusch was asked to play the organ in 1900.
In 1890, Carl Rusch was elected District 42 road overseer in Scott Township. He homesteaded the SW 1/4 of Section 34 of Scott Township.
One adopted daughter:
- Anna Frieda Elizabeth Rusch
- born 17 May 1895, Milford, Nebr.
- bapt. 7 June 1896. Sponsors: Fred Labs, Elisabeth Rieckmann, and Anna Rieckmann Mueller.
- died 13 October 1968.
- married 27 April 1919, Immanuel, Amherst, Photo
Oscar Emil Hemmann, son of Ernst Hemmann and Christiana Bergt
- born 24 September 1885, Elk Creek, Johnson Co., Nebr.
- died 20 November 1975.
Both are buried at Immanuel Lutheran Cemetery, Amherst, Buffalo, Nebraska.
Five children, including:
- Eugene Carl Hemmann, born 14 August 1920, Buffalo County, Nebraska
- died 29 December 1983, Kearney, Buffalo County, Nebraska, having lived near Amherst, Nebraska
- married 23 Jan 1949 in Amherst, Buffalo, Nebraska, to
Marianne Jean Mowinski, born 01 Feb 1921 in Kartnous, Danzig, Poland
died 08 Jan 2011 in Janesville, Rock, Wisconsin
- Gerhard Ernst Hemmann, born 18 Jul 1922 in Amherst, Buffalo, Nebraska
- died 25 May 2010 in Kearney, Buffalo, Nebraska
- Reinhold Gustave Hemmann, born 02 Feb 1925 in Buffalo County, Nebraska
- died 18 Mar 2007 in Kearney, Buffalo, Nebraska
- Esther Erna Hemmann, born 30 Sep 1927 in Amherst, Buffalo, Nebraska
- died 24 Jan 2011 in Amherst, Buffalo, Nebraska
- married 15 Aug 1954, Amherst, Nebraska, to
James Norman Jameson, born 03 Feb 1922 in Buffalo County, Nebraska, died 03 Jul 1995
- Martin Edwin Hemmann, born 9 January 1932, Buffalo County, Nebraska
- died 9 October 2005, Kearney, Nebraska, having lived near Amherst, Nebraska
- married 28 May 1982,
Rosemary Jeffers, born 27 Nov 1928, died 07 Feb 2011 in Kearney, Nebraska
© 2000-2009 MJH