Back to Our Family
Friedrich and Elisabeth
Friedrich Martin Oertwig, born 3 May 1806 to Martin Friedrich Oertwig and his wife Dorothy Marie Timme
- baptized 11 May 1806 at Nahausen, Brandenburg, Prussia
- married 6 February 1833 at Nahausen to
Elisabeth Marie Mussack, born about 1810, daughter of Carl Mussack of Hanseberg, Kr. Koenigsberg, Brandenburg
We don't know when Friedrich died, but in 1873, Elisabeth and several of her children immigrated to the US on the ship OHIO from Bremen and arrived in Baltimore on 30 May 1873. We have not found further record of Elisabeth in the United States.
KNOWN CHILDREN OF Friedrich M. Oertwig and Elisabeth Mussack:
- Dorothea Wilhelmine Friedericke Oertwig, born 5 April 1833
- baptized 21 April 1833, Nahausen, Brandenburg, Prussia
- died 18 May 1833
- Dorothea Marie Oertwig, born 16 February 1835
- baptized 22 February 1835, Nahausen, Brandenburg, Prussia
- died 28 August 1865
One of her godparents was Carl Mussack, dienstknecht, of Hanseberg, presumably the brother of Elisabeth Mussack Oertwig.
- Louise Wilhelmine Oertwig, born 9 February 1837 in Brandenburg, Prussia
- died 11 March 1920, Kaskaskia Township, Fayette County, Illinois
- buried 15 March 1920 in Augsburg, Fayette County, Illinois
- married 6 October 1864 to
Martin Friedrich Sasse, born 07 Feb 1839 probably in Nahausen, Brandenburg
- occupation 1900, 1910, 1920 Farmer, Kaskaskia, Fayette, Illinos
- died 30 December 1929, buried at Augsburg, Fayette County, Illinois.
This couple and their four oldest children immigrated to the US on the ship OHIO, arriving in Baltimore on 30 May 1873.
- Martin Friedrich Oertwig
We know that he immigrated with his mother and siblings in 1873, according to the passenger list of the OHIO. He was the husband of the Ernestine Sasse and father of little Elisabeth Oertwig who are mentioned on the passenger list. We don't know when he was born or when he died. His wife was
Ernestine Sasse, daughter of Friedrich Sasse and Dorothea Louise Oertwig
- born 1846, Prussia, probably in Nahausen
- died 18 May 1926, buried at St. Paul, Fayette County, Illinois.
After the death of her first husband, she
- married on 20 April 1879, Fayette County, Illinois, to
John Henry Weber, born about 1930 in Hannover
- died between 1900 and 1910.
Children of Martin Oertwig and Ernestine Sasse Oertwig:
- Elisabeth Oertwig, born 1872
- Ann Oertwig, born about 1876
We have no further information about these daughters are this time.
Ernestine and Henry Weber had the following children:
- Martha Weber, born February 1880, Illinois
- Emma Weber, born November 1882, Illinois
- Henry Weber, born July 1885, Illinois
- Twin Fred William Weber, born 27 March 1889, Illinois
- died 1963, buried at St. Paul, Fayette County, Illinois
- married 26 December 1925 to
Alma Salter, born 23 January 1894, died November 1979.
- Twin Martin Frank Weber, born 27 March 1889, Illinois
- died 4 March 1978, buried at St. Paul, Fayette County, Illinois
- married 18 October 1922 to
Emma Dorothea Sophia Schaal, born 11 August 1899; died 4 November 1974.
- Ernst Heinrich Johannes Oertwig, PHOTO
- born 25 May 1845, Nahausen, Brandenburg, Prussia
- immigrated 1873 on the ship OHIO,
- naturalized 27 Oct 1886, Fayette County, Illinois
- farmed in Wilberton and Kaskaskia Townships, Fayette County, Illinois
- died 17 April 1932, buried at St. Paul, Fayette County, Illinois
- married 14 May 1876, Fayette County, Illinois, to
Fredericka Carolina Johannes, born 25 Feb 1856, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- died 10 February 1931, Fayette County, Illinois
- Emma Emilie Oertwig, born 15 May 1878, died 21 September 1879
- Heinrich Carl Martin Oertwig, born 26 Oct 1880
- died 11 January 1909, buried in St. Paul, Fayette, Illinois
- Rosa Louisa Franciska Oertwig, born 17 April 1882, died 24 July 1883
- John Fr. Oertwig, born July 1884, Fayette County, Illinois
In his WWI Draft Registration, he was described as tall, medium build, dark eyes, dark hair
- farmed in Fayette and Macon Counties, Illinois
- died March 1965 in Illinois
- married about 1909 to
Wilhelmina L. Lindhorst, born 1888 in Illinois
- Leona Bertha Louise Oertwig, born 19 December 1909 in Illinois
- died 14 February 2004, while residing in Decatur, Macon County, Illinois
- married Richard Adolf Henrichsmeyer, son of Ernst Henrichsmeyer and Emma Sasse
- Martha Anna Friederika Oertwig, born 11 November 1911 in Illinois
- Living Oertwig, born about 1921
- Living Oertwig, born about 1925
- Anna Wilhelmine Hulda Oertwig,
- born 14 Aug 1886, died 12 September 1960
- married 14 Apr 1907, to
William Ernst Frederick Naber, son of Johann Naber and Helena Zustrow
- born 03 May 1883, died 7 August 1956.
- Arthur Herman Naber, born 21 January 1908, died 6 August 1984
- buried in St. Peter, Fayette, Illinois.
- married Esther Hollman, born 28 April 1911, died 16 December 1990
- Cordelia Frederika Emma Wilhelmine Naber, born 1909, died 1923
- buried in St. Paul, Fayette, Illinois, St. Paul Lutheran.
- Elmer Heinrich Johannes Naber, born 24 August 1912, died 2 May 1964
- buried in St. Paul, Fayette, Illinois, St. Paul Lutheran.
- Ruth Minna Louise Naber, born 14 January 1916,
- died 11 Apr 1993, at Salem, residing in St. Peter, Fayette County, Illinois
- married 18 February 1939, Pine Lawn, St. Louis County, Missouri, to
Raymond C. Runge, born, 27 April 1917, died 8 March 1989
One son and one daughter.
- Walter Edward William Naber, 9 May 1918, Illinois
- died 21 January 2001.
- William Friedrich Christian Oertwig, born 2 September 1889 in Kaskaskia, Fayette, Illinois
- died 31 August 1927, buried in St. Paul, Fayette County, Illinois
In his WWI Draft Registration description: Tall, medium build, gray eyes, dark brown hair
- married Clara Rubin, born 19 July 1882, died 10 July 1944 in Fayette County, Illinois
- Living Oertwig, born about 1915 in Illinois
- William Oertwig, born 22 July 1917, died 19 February 1986, Vandalia, Illinois
- married Irene Hasely, born 8 July 1919, died 30 December 1992, Vandalia, Illinois
- Living Oertwig, born about 1919 in Illinois, married Otto Bergmann
- Gertrude Oertwig, born 29 November 1921 in Illinois, died 9 Nov 1998 living in Vandalia, Illinois; married Herbert Hulskotter
- Doris W. Oertwig, born 16 April 1924 in Illinois, died 22 August 1997; married LeRoy Hartmann
- Paul C. Oertwig, born 27 July 1926 in Illinois; died 14 August 1990
- Alvina Louise Oertwig, born 9 March 1892 in Illinois
- died 4 January 1961
- married 3 April 1910 (1) Charles J. Schaal, born about 1882, died 16 October 1950
- married (2) Martin Lange
CHILDREN of Alvia Oertwig and Carl Schaal
- Ruby Freiderika Maria Schaal, born 9 July 1912 in Illinois
- died February 1984, living in Saint Peter, Fayette, Illinois
- married Oliver Pries, son of Henry and Amelia Pries - born 17 January 1908, died April 1979
- Florence Schaal, born 20 March 1915 in Illinois
- died 1 April 2005, residing in Vandalia, Fayette, Illinos
- married Peter Golgin, born 13 September 1911, died 4 November 1994.
- Living Schaal,
- Carl Eduard Oertwig, born 3 October 1895. Probably died before 1900
- Louise Margaretha Elizabeth Oertwig,
- born 5 September 1897, died January 1981, residing in Clinton, Illinois
- married Mr. Linthicum.
- Henrietta Oertwig, born September 1848, Prussia
- died 31 October 1926, Broadview, Montana
- immigrated 1868 on the Borussia
- married 20 October 1868, Fayette County, Illinois, to her cousin
Michael Sasse, born 1844. (For probable parents of Michael Sasse, see Friedrich Sasse.)
- Michael Oertwig, born 3 April 1850, Prussia
- immigrated 1873
- 1880 census in Fayette County, Illinois, as "brother" with Ernst and Rieka Oertwig, Kaskaskia Township
- 1900 and later censuses in Marshall County, South Dakota
- died 19 December 1915, Marshall County, South Dakota. Never married.
- Auguste Amelia Oertwig, born 1856 in Nahausen, Koenigsberg/NM, Brandenburg
- died 05 August 1927 in Lebanon, Boone, Indiana
- buried in Boone County, Indiana, County Cemetery
(1) - married Herman Wefer, born 1850 in Dollingen, Warburg, Germany
- died 24 August 1880 in Fayette County, Illinois
(2) - married 9 October 1883 in Fayette County, Illinois
Nickolas Knecht, son of Johann Nicholas Knecht and Anna Maria Schickedanz
- born 21 April 1845 in St. Clair County, Illinois
- died 28 January 1921 in Lebanon, Boone, Indiana
- buried in Boone Co. Indiana, County Cemetery Wefer-Knecht families
Layout and HTML coding © 2005 MJH
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids