17, 1857, from Madison, Reynolds, St. Francois, Washington and Wayne
counties and named for abundant iron ore.
County Seat: Ironton
|Iron County has had only one
courthouse. Ironton was chosen as the county seat in 1857. David Carson
and Hiram N. Tong, businessmen in the area, owned the site of Ironton
and had laid out the town. They donated alternate town lots to the
county, and money from the sale of these lots provided more than $10,000
of the $14,000 cost of the courthouse.
Henry H. Wright furnished the plan for the building and was awarded $25. The court granted the building contract to George S. Evans and William F. Mitchell. The cornerstone ceremony took place on July 4, 1858. Construction was completed and the building ready for occupancy in October 1860.
The red brick building trimmed with white stone originally measured about 50 by 65 feet. There were six rooms on the first floor, the courtroom on the second. Other Missouri courthouses by Wright include: Washington, 1849; Franklin, 1847; St. Francois, 1848.
In 1964 a three-story addition to the west extended the length of the courthouse to almost 110 feet. Architects of this $113,000 project were Hutchens and Frangkiser, Kansas City.
Howard Baer's painting of this courthouse, 1947, is in the Scruggs, Vandervoort, Barney collection at the University of Missouri-Columbia.
The courthouse is included in the National Register of Historic Places. The nomination form includes the Civil War history associated with this courthouse.Copyright 2002 University of Missouri. Published by University Extension, University of Missouri-Columbia.
|1858 (April, 1858) Contract awarded to George S. Evans and
William F. Mitchell to build the Courthouse for $14, 000.00. Henry
H. Wright was the architect whose Courthouse plan was accepted.
The architect fee was $25.00. J. V. Logan, Presiding Judge of the
County was Superintendent of the building.
1858 (July 4, 1858) Laying of cornerstone of Iron County Courthouse, Ironton, Missouri.
1858 Iron County Courthouse built and occupied in October, 1860. Now on the National Register of Historical Places.
In Ironton, the Iron County Courthouse, built in 1860, still bears the mark of a cannonball fired during the Battle of Pilot Knob. The courthouse was occupied several times by both Union and Confederate forces during the battle, and served as a barracks and hospital.
|Records at Courthouse|
Clerk of the County court:
Register of Births and Stillbirths, 1883-1887; Permanent record of
births, 1883-1896; Register of deaths, 1883-1887
Clerk of the Circuit court: Index to circuit court records, no dates; circuit court records, 1857-1891
Clerk of the Probate court: Probate records and index, 1857-1887; administrator's/executors letters bonds and records, 1864-1889; Inventories Appraisements and Sale Bills, 1880-1890 Will records and index, 1857-1943.
Recorder of Deeds: Index to
& Death Records Database
Local Records Inventory Database Marriage 1857-1881, Books A & B (Groom and Bride