John was born in St Johnsville, N.Y., 24 Aug 1842 son of George Lasher “shoemaker” and
Magdelena Mary Klock .bn 25 sep 1810 Wagners Hallow, New York
John volunteered for service in the Civil War 26 Aug 1862, Co “A”, 115 Regiment New York
Vol. Infantry, Col. Simeon Sammons commanding, as a private in Captain Garrett Vanderveer’s
Company. For volunteering his family received $25 from the town and $48 from the County
The 115th Regiment left the state, August 30 1862, served at Sandy Hook, Md. In the 8th corps,
Later at Harper’s Ferry, West Va., where the company was captured under Col Dixon S. Niles,
Command Sept. 15,1862, and was sent to ”Parole Camp” at Douglas, Chicago, until exchanged
in November of that year, when the company was returned to Washington, D.C., Assigned to
Casey’s division, defenses of the Capital City, later to the 3rd brigade, 2nd division, 10th corps, Army
of the James; in the District of Florida,1st brigade,3rd division, 18th corps, and same Brigade and
Division, 24th corps, in March 1865, returning to the 3rd brigade, 2nd division, 10th corps, taking part
in engagements at Paumunkey River, Va.; Bluffton, S.C.; Jacksonville, Camp Finnegan, Baldwin,
Olustee, Palatka, Fla.; Port Walthall, Chester Station, Wier Bottom Church, Drewry’s Bluff,
Bermuda Hundred, Cold Harbor; Siege and Assault of Petersburg, Mine Explosion, Strawberry
Plains, Chapin’s Farm, Darbytown Road, Va.; Fort Fisher, N.C.; Cape Fear Intrenchments, near
Wilmington, Campaigns of the Carolinas, including Bennett House N.C
In some of the engagements John served with Capt C.N. Ballon Co. “A”, 115th N.Y. Vol who
would later marry John’s sister Anna Margaret Lasher
John lasher was shot in the left ankle at Olustee, Fla., Feb 20 1864, captured the same day,
The colored troops, with him were not helped; their wounded were left on the field, the rest
Carried to Tallahassee, Fla., where John was held prisoner two weeks, then sent to Andersonville
Prison for eight and one half weeks, It was during this time, with no medical aid from the captors,
John’s ankle became so infected he had to remove the bullet, Later he had it mounted in gold and
carried it as a watch fob until his death, when it was passed to his grandson Clifford Pickard.
John was transferred to Maryland, for two weeks, exchanged Nov 19,1864, then taken to
Annapolis, Md. Hospital for a two week stay, he was furloughed home and returned to Chestnut
Hill Hospital, Phila., Pa., were he remained until discharged 15 th of jun 1865
by reason of disability.
Returning home after civil war John joined a group from Fort Plain and Nelliston to search for gold
They had some success in lower Rockies but not enough to warrant a mining operation. Samples
That they found were in Jerry Saltsman’s mothers house in the 1950’s.
John returned to Nelliston, N.Y. he married 9 Oct 1870 Mary E Sterling, bn. Sammonsville, N.Y.
Before 1868 his father George Lasher and John’s brother Dewitt Lasher had built
homes on west side of North Main street in Nelliston, N.Y. In the year 1871 John
Built a three story brick block., two stores first floor and rooms and Ball room
Above. This venture ended up in mortgage foreclosure and in 1889 the building
Burned picture at left shows brick building third one on left. The foundation was still
There in the 40’s when I lived in the village.
In 1905 John built the market and house on the east side Stone Arabia street
Were he operated a meat market for many years. His daughter Maud Lasher
Pickard lived in the house in the rear. John died 24 Jan 1915 and is buried
in the Fort Plain Cemetery, on the Pickard lot.
It would appear that John and Mary lived apart after 1905
John also had a house next to the corner store on Bridge Street north side this was
a brick two story, his wife Mary E. Lasher lived there with his daughter Ada Lasher
Temple until Mary’s death age of 90 yrs Aug 1941.she is buried on the Lord lot ,Fort Plain
Cemetary next to her mother Adah Nancy Bell Sterling