The Merrills are a well documented family of New England. A Merrill Memorial: An Account of the Descendants of Nathaniel Merrill, an Early Settler of Newbury, Massachusetts, written by Samuel Merrill in 1917-28 tells the story of many of the early Merrills up to 1850. My descent, down to my grandmother, is as follows:
- Nathaniel Merrill was baptised on 4 May 1601 in Wherstead parish, Suffolk Co.,England. He died on 16 March 1654/55 in Newbury, Massachusetts. He married Susanna. Nathanel and his brother John settled in Newbury in 1635, having arrived in Ipswich a couple of years earlier from England.
- Daniel Merrill was born on 20 August 1642 in Newbury, Massachusetts; he died 27 June 1717 in Salisbury, Massachusetts. He was married to Sarah Clough on 14 May 1667. Daniel was a carpenter.
- Daniel Merrill was born in 8 March 1671/72 in Newbury, Massachusetts and died in 1725. He was married to Esther Chase in the early 1690's.
- Peter Merrill was born on 8 April 1703 in Newbury, Massachusetts and died on 17 December 1777 in Newbury. He was married to Priscilla Annis on 20 March 1729/30. Peter was a weaver.
- Annis Merrill was born on 3 June 1750 in Newbury, Massachusetts and died on 10 May 1847 in Lyman, New Hampshire. He was married to Lydia Coffin Merrill on 10 June 1783 in Newbury, Massachusetts. Annis served as a minuteman at Bunker Hill. He moved to Haverhill, New Hampshire about 1788, then to Lyman in 1797.
- Rev. Moses Merrill was born on 13 July 1798 in Lyman, New Hampshire and died on 8 August 1831 in Cabot, Vermont. He was married to Lucy Osgood on 2 August 1820 in Cabot, Vermont.
- Rev. Annis Osgood Merrill was born on 30 May 1821 in Cabot, Vermont and died on 24 September 1882 in Phelps Co. Missouri. He was married to Keziah Jane (Bailey) Seaton on 30 September 1864 in Crawford Co., Missouri. By the early 1860's Annis Merrill had left his native New England for the Illinois and Missouri area, where he served as a circuit riding Methodist minister. He was said to have been married to woman, who, along with their child,drowned. No documentation of this has been found. Following his death in 1882 his widow Jane ran a boarding house in St. Louis and lived with family in Shannon County where she died in 1908.
- Stephen Edward Merrill was born on 22 July 1877 in Quincy, Adams Co. or Rushville, Schuyler Co., Illinois and died on 8 September 1946 in St. Louis, Missouri. He was married to Laura Lucretia Ellen Wolfe on 3 June 1901 in St. Louis, Missouri.
- Their daughter (my grandmother) was Gladys Camilla Merrill, born on 21 September 1903 in St. Louis, Missouri and died on 8 May 1999 in Raymond, Pacific Co., Washington. She was married to Rudolph Paul Mittge on 20 March 1922 in Eminence, Shannon Co., Missouri.
Birth record of Annis Osgood Merrill in the Cabot, Vermont Town Records; recorded by his uncle Thomas Osgood, Town Clerk