George Washington Patterson son of
Patterson and Susan Garren with his
daughters. He was born 06 Feb 1845
County, Tennessee and died 18 Nov 1918
Lane Prairie, Johnson County, Texas.
Rebecca Elizabeth Young daughter of
Joseph Alexander Young and Mary Ann "Polly"
Vaughn 02 Jun 1869 in Blount County, Tennessee.
George Washington Patterson and Rebecca
Young came from Monroe County, Tennessee
to Johnson County, Texas after the
War. He was a sergeant in B Company,
Tennessee Infantry, Vaughn Cavalry
Confederate Army. General John Crawford
the commanding officer of the 3rd Tennessee
Volunteers was his uncle on his mothers
of the family. His brother-in-law Robert
Ralston Young was also a member of
They settled outside Fort Worth, Texas
Johnson County where he purchased land
began farming in the Lane Prairie community
area. The family stories are that he
the first cotton gins in the area.
newspaper dated 10 December 1898 stated
"G.W. Patterson has bought the
recently vacated by Duckworth and is
to erect gin and mill". Several
of the family appear to have moved
County, Tennessee to Johnson County
1870. It is known that 6 of the children
of his brother James Madison Patterson
in the Johnson County area. They were
Francis Marion, John Wesley, Addie,
E., George W.. Rebecca Elizabeth Youngs
Joseph Alexander Young and Mary Ann
along with most of their children also
to Johnson County, Texas around the
time. George, his wife Rebecca Elizabeth
Young, and two daughters Minnie Crawford
Patterson McKee and Zella M. Patterson
buried in the Lane Prairie Cemetery
George Washington Patterson married
Dora Doak after the death of Rebecca
Young in 1894. She had a son, Auburn
from a previous marriage to P.R. Tulley.
George and Manda had a daughter, Zella
that died at 13 months of age. It is
that Manda Dora Doak was the daughter
the founder of Trinity College in Texas
the first president of Hiwassee College
Madisonville, Monroe County, Tennessee.
is not clear whether her father was
Doak or his brother Robert E. Doak.
George bought 55 acres of land on 18
1876 from H.A & S. Lockett, Administrators
of E. & N. Nunn. Original was P.
See Deed Book O, page 427.
G.W. Patterson etal bought 200 acres
C.Y. Kouns Atty. for E.W. Cheatham
November 1880. Original was C. Chaney.
Deed Book V, page 113-115.
G.W. Patterson bought 58 acres from
McPherson on 1 December 1882. Original
P. Golden. See Deed Book 25, page357