New England Families Genealogical and Memorial: Third Series, Volume I
NEWCOMB Captain Andrew Newcomb, the immigrant ancestor, came from the "west of England," according to tradition, perhaps from Devonshire or Wales. He was very likely among the earliest settlers of New England. The first mention of him was in 1663, in Boston, Massachusetts, when he married his second wife, Grace, widow of William Rix or Ricks. He was called a mariner or sea captain, and doubtless had always had this occupation. In the Charlestown records for February 28, 1666-67, mention is made of his taking horses on his ship for John Ely and Elikim Hutchinson; on August 28, 1679, in the New York Colonial Manuscripts at Albany,
Andrew Newcomb is named as Master of the sloop "Edmund and Martha," then in New York and bound for Boston, probably from Virginia, a part of the lading being tobacco. Philip Foxwell deposed that Andrew Newcomb was in Saco river from Boston, October, 1684, and this is the last record of him until his will was proved two years later. His second wife, Grace, was born about 1620-25, and had by her first husband, William Ricks: Elisha, John, Thomas and Ezekiel, born in Boston between 1645 and 1656. On February 14, 1672, agreement was made that Andrew Newcomb and Grace should occupy William Ricks' house during their lifetime; that John and Thomas Ricks should have the new house near the former, near the water-mill in Boston, each to have a half of the land, paying to Newcomb twenty pounds each. On April 13, 1681, he bought of Simon Lynde and Sarah, wife of Joseph Goodale, the administratrix of Thomas Ricks, the right to redeem an estate in Boston mortgaged to Lynde by Thomas Ricks in 1677. On April 14, 1681, he and his wife sold to John Ricks all right in the house near Mill Bridge, that had been owned by Thomas Ricks, deceased. His will was dated January 31, 1682-83, and proved December 9, 1686. He doubtless died in November, 1686, though he may have died a year earlier at sea. Although his son Andrew was not mentioned in his will, many facts show that he was doubtless his son. Children of first wife: Andrew, mentioned below; Susannah, born between 1635 and 1650. Child of second wife: Grace, born in Boston, October 20, 1664. (II) Lieutenant Andrew (2) Newcomb, son of Captain Andrew (1) Newcomb, was born about 1640, and was living in America as early as July, 1666, when he attended a meeting at the Isle of Shoals, near Portsmouth, New Hampshire, of several merchants and men engaged in the fisheries, for the purpose of fixing the price of fish. The first record of land purchased by him was April 20, 1669, at Alfred, York county, Maine, when he, of Kittery, York county, a fisherman, bought of Daniel Moore, of Portsmouth, blacksmith, a dwelling-house in Kittery and six acres adjoining the house at Emberrys (Emery) Point. The place is situated on the southeast side of the mouth of the Spinney Creek, bounded on the west by the Piscataqua river. Andrew Newcomb served as constable, and in 1671 was living at the Shoals. In June, 1673, he was called before the county court at Dover, New Hampshire, to answer a complaint of Francis Small for withholding the "Hull of a fishing shallop of sd Smalls receiued of Thomas Trickie by virtue of sd Small's order," but finally the case was withdrawn as there was no cause of action. On July 19, 1673, a deed is recorded at Exeter, New Hampshire, in which he sold a house on Hog Island to Henry Platts. About 1675 he seems to have moved from the Shoals to Edgartown, Martha's Vineyard, Dukes county, Massachusetts, where he remained the rest of his life, dying between March 7, 1703-04, and October 22, 1708. He was one of the proprietors of Edgartown and had several shares in the divisions of land there, also making many purchases of land. He sold the land in 1700 which is the famous camp-meeting ground on Martha's Vineyard. He served as juror at quarter court, September 26, 1677, at Edgartown, also December 28, 1680; was foreman of the jury September, 1681, and foreman of the grand jury, March 7, 1703-04; in 1681 was constable, and was chosen townsman May 10, 1693, overseer, March 16, 1693-94; on April 13, 1691, was chosen lieutenant and was in command of the fortification that year. He very likely was a merchant for several years. He was well-to-do and a prominent man in Edgartown. The land on which the court-house now stands belonged to him. He married (first) Sarah (???), about 1661, and she died about 1674. He married (second) in Edgartown, in 1676, Anna, daughter of Captain Thomas and Anna (Baker) Bayes; she was born about 1658, and died in the summer of 1731 or in September of that year, aged about seventy-three, having survived her husband for many years. Her name is on the oldest list of church members which has been kept there, July 13, 1717, and also in the list of January 24, 1731. Children of first wife: Simeon, born about 1662; Andrew, about 1664; Simon, mentioned below; Thomas, about 1668; Sarah, about 1670; Mary or Mercy, about 1672; Peter, about 1674. Children of second wife: Anna, 1677; Elizabeth, 1681; Joseph, 1683; Emblem, about 1685; Tabitha, about 1688; Hannah, about 1694; Zerviah, 1698-99; Mary, about 1700. (III) Simon, son of Lieutenant Andrew (2) Newcomb, was born about 1666, probably at Kittery, York county, Maine, or perhaps on one of the islands of the Shoals, near Kittery. His father moved to Edgartown when he was about eight years old, and here he lived until 1713, when he moved to Lebanon, New London county, Connecticut, where he remained the rest of his life. The first time his name was on record was May 10, 1690, when he was named in the will of William Vinson, of Edgartown, to see that it was carried out. He owned several shares of land on the island
of Chappaquiddick, where he kept large numbers of cattle and sheep. He also received several shares from 1695 on, in Edgartown, as a proprietor, and he bought much land at Pohoggannut, near Job's Neck. He bought of his father the land called Job's Neck, or Sopataming. Other purchases and grants to him are also recorded, and there are records of the land sold by him, also. His first purchase in Lebanon was September 26, 1711, when he bought of Israel and Mary Phelps, a farm of about 160 acres, on which he lived in Lebanon for nearly a third of a century, leaving it by will to his son Simon. He gave farms to his sons, and made several purchases in Lebanon. In 1710 he was chosen field driver in Edgartown, and was made freeman there; in 1714 was surveyor of highways; grand juryman, 1718; served on various committees and helped in settling town boundaries. His will was dated July 23, 1741. He died January 20, 1744-45, aged seventy-nine. He married about 1687, Deborah (???), who died in Lebanon, June 17, 1756, aged ninety-one. Children: John, born about 1688-89; Thomas, 1691-92; Hezekiah, (q. v.); Obadiah, 1695; Deborah, 1696-97; Sarah, about 1698; Benjamin, about 1700; Elizabeth, 1701-02; Simon, about 1705.
(VIII) Charles Frederick Buzzell, son of Benjamin (2) Buzzell, was born in Monroe, Waldo county, Maine, March 15, 1850. He attended the public schools of his native town. He assisted his father on the farm and learned the trade of mason. From 1870 to 1872 he followed his trade in Bangor. He lived one year at Orino, Maine, and at Lewiston, Maine, for three years. After a year in Belfast, Maine, he came in 1877 to Caribou in that state and since then has made his home in that town. He has followed his trade in that town. He owns a farm and some business property. For a time he occupied this building, conducting a general store. His farm is a mile and a half from the village, on the Washburn road. In politics he is a Democrat. He was road surveyor for many years and constable for ten years. He also served several terms as school agent. He married, June, 1873, Lillian M. Gilman, who was born in Jackson, Maine. She is a member of the Christian church. They have no children. Edwin Gilman, father of Lillian M., was born in Jackson, Maine, 1819, died at Monroe, 1870. He married Lucy Reynolds, born at Burnham, Maine, 1833, died at Belfast, 1888. Children of Edwin Gilman, born at Jackson: 1. Nora, born 1853, died at Brooks, 1903; married (first) Albert Newcomb, of Monroe, a miller, (second) Llewellyn Stimpson, of Brooks, Maine, a farmer; had one daughter, Lilly, married Fred Elkins, resides at Thorndike. 2. Lillian M., married Charles Frederick Buzzell, mentioned above. 3. Eugene, born 1857, died young. 4. Edwin, born 1859. 5. William, born 1861, salesagent, died at Belfast, a young man. 6. Lizzie, born 1868; married Frank Robinson, of Swanville, resides at Kennebunkport, Maine, a merchant. Enoch Gilman, father of Edwin Gilman, was born in New Hampshire, and died in Jackson, Maine. His children: 1. John, died at Jackson, a farmer. 2. Enoch, died at Brooks, a farmer. 3. Edwin, mentioned above.
Return to Home Page
Last updated 31 Jan 2007
This website belongs to Tina Miller
This website belongs to Tina Miller
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids